Free and Cheap Insulation Official Discussion

Comments

• SophieMB wrote: »
    I have been told by friends who are builders that the reason for having a cavity in walls is to prevent damp being able to travel from external walls to internal walls. Therefore, the idea of cavity wall insulation is ridiculous as it breaches the cavity and allows damp to penetrate to the internal wall. There is so much conflicting information out there with the government pushing for everyone to have cavity wall insulation but builders saying it is more hassle than it is worth and although you can get it put in for free (if you are eligible) it costs a whole lot more to get rid of if you have problems! I would really appreciate some advice on this as I am not quite sure what is best to do.

If your property is in a particularly exposed position, then the cavity will indeed protect against water ingress caused by driving rain. Elsewhere, the reason for putting a cavity in was really more down to cost - using blockwork as an inner skin is cheaper and quicker than brickwork. A reputable insulation surveyor will use a borescope to check the cavity - make sure that it is the right width, that it isn't obstructed by debris and no obvious problem with the wall ties - and then arrange the installation if your property is suitable.

Properties with steel or timber framed construction aren't suitable for cavity wall insulation, as it can create a nice warm patch to allow condensation to form and rust the steel/rot the wood. In fact, those steel-framed buildings are a challenge to mortgage or even insure in some cases.

The insulating materials used today simply do not absorb water, so providing your wall cavity is suitable, there really won't be a problem.
  • ChyEbren wrote: »
    I really wish people, especially the government, but alas now including MoneySavingExpert, would stop advertising "free insulation for all". It's just not true. I live in rural Cornwall and my home, like so many in the countryside all over England, does not have cavity walls. I have had to spend thousands buying and installing special insulating wallpaper for my single-skin walls to try to reduce heating costs.

As usual the government have latched upon an easy, high-publicity-potential campaign which specifically benefits townies and ignores those of us who don't live in cities.

It's not benefits "for all", it's still very much for "some" only.

Sharon
    Uh uh... when did this become a "townies" versus "country folk" argument? Solid walled houses exist all over the country... my parents used to live in a terraced house in a town with solid stone walls.

Cavity walls were first introduced in the 1800s, and didn't become widely used until the early 1930s, hence houses built before 1930 may not have cavity walls, irrespective of their location.

If you read the offers from the energy suppliers, at least one of them offers you the choice of either wall or loft insulation.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
  • These offers, as it says, are neither free nor for all.

Now I need some wall panels to fit on the inside of an exposed bedroom wall. Covered? Not at all.

If I did install the loft and wall insulation I can save £300 (it says). It also says I can save £135 with wall insulation and £175 with loft insulation. My math makes that £310.

But wait, lower down the page I am told the combined saving will be £200.

It seems these figures are simply plucked from the air. What size house? One floor or two? Exposed or sheltered? At home all day or not? High temperature or not?

40 years ago my house was fitted with cavity foam so wall insulation in the cavity is out.

When I moved in it had about 60mm of loft insulation. I have increased this to 125mm under 20mm chipboard flooring with 450mm around the unfloored portion.

What saving could I expect? My gas bill is around £360 and that includes a gas tumble drier and gas water heater. I use the same argument with solar heating salesmen. A £4500 installation would take over 20 years to pay for itself even assuming all my hot water needs were met with solar.
  • I asked British Gas for cavity wall insulation and waited two months for a surveyor to call to look at my property.
    She immediately said that my property wasn't suitable as, although it has a damp proof course, the exterior walls have been rendered down to the ground therefore covering the dpc.
    She was sympathetic and stated a lot of houses in this area (North Lancashire) had the same issues but there was nothing British Gas could do as, in order to give a guarantee, the dpc needed to be exposed.
    The surveyor did assure me that, should the situation change, British Gas would contact me. Time will tell.
  • Rang BG to enquire as already a customer & have home care agreement but not at all helpful. Only had 'selected time slots on selected days' - no help when single person working all hours to make enough to pay the bills & working for companies where have to book time off well in advance.
  • My parents are long-time customers of B.G. and enquired about cavity-wall insulation. After waiting weeks for a surveyor, a man called and was invited inside. As soon as he saw the gas fire, (which is hardly ever used), he stated that they would require a flue liner which, of course, is not free.
    He was politely asked to leave.
  • Hi, reading back through the thread this has sort of been covered, but for the sake of clarity ...

I live in a late Victorian terraced house with solid walls. When making alterations I had insulated plasterboard fitted to the kitchen walls which has made a considerable difference to the temperature in there. It's now time to refit the bathroom and I am hoping to fit the same kind of thing there on to the outside walls but it's pricey stuff to buy.

Does anyone know of any free / subsidised or just downright cheap way of getting this type of plasterboard for a single person who lives alone, has no dependents, claims no benefits and works but earns b****r all ?

Thanks for any help

Cheers

A
  • I having taken up cavity wall insulation offers yet as I'm not sure who to use. Are all subcontractors who do the work doing a proper job or are some better than others. Like double glazing firms there are so many out there but can there be rogue ones as well.
  • globalds
    globalds Posts: 9,431 Forumite
    There are some crazy offers on loft insulation at the moment ...People should post them up as well.

If you haven't done your loft up to the new levels then it can be done for a really good price ..More than likely it will pay for itself in one or two seasons.

the current recommendation is for 10 inches or 250 mm of depth in the loft.

I have just done it with Knauf space blanket using 2 offers one from Wickes ..Buy 1 get 3 free http://www.wickes.co.uk/insulation/loft-roll-insulation/icat/liloftroll/?WT.ac=SP000739
    for the smaller rolls and a Band Q offer that has finished for the larger rolls ...£70 has done my loft.
  • We have wooden floors (floor boards) is there any one offering free/cheep insulation for under these?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure