Sky charging when phone line not connected

2»

Comments

• tango
    tango Posts: 13,110 Forumite
    jamespir wrote: »
    sorry but thats complete tosh the highest price you can pay is 82 pounds what they usually do is charge you 25 quid once
    err you are wrong
    Obstacles are things a person sees when he takes his eyes off his goal.
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    jamespir wrote: »
    sorry but thats complete tosh the highest price you can pay is 82 pounds what they usually do is charge you 25 quid once

No...they charge the full price of the mirror subscription on the main box,so if you have the basic channels,you'll be charged whatever the cost of the package is on the main box.If you have the movies & sports as well,then you'll be charged that price ect less HD sub if the second box is non HD in both cases.I'd been to enough faults when I was with Sky to know.

It's part of the dish monkeys job to run a phone extension to all the boxes in the home unless it's a single box which the customer has been with Sky for over a year & therfore out of the initial contract.
    I was asked once when on a multiroom install not to install the phoneline,I advised the customer what would happen & made him up a long lead just in case he got a letter from Sky,also advised him to get homeplugs.IIRC he was decorating & was going to run the cable behind the skirting.
  • afc80
    afc80 Posts: 286 Forumite
    I have a multi room subscription. The box has never been linked to
    a phone line and i have had multi room for over 8 years.

I dont think they police this multi room thing as surely i would have received a letter re this from them?
  • tango
    tango Posts: 13,110 Forumite
    afc80 wrote: »
    I have a multi room subscription. The box has never been linked to
    a phone line and i have had multi room for over 8 years.

I dont think they police this multi room thing as surely i would have received a letter re this from them?
    I too have had multi room for a while now and have never had all connected to a phoneline . Sky said they are 'cracking down' whooooo whoooo:undecided
    Obstacles are things a person sees when he takes his eyes off his goal.
  • We have had Sky for over 15 years and have never ever left the phone connected, not even in the first year. We have moved three times and still not plugged the phone line in. For the last three years we have had multi room as well and never had this plugged into a phone line either. Twice in the last five years we have plugged in the phone line but that was because my husband wanted to watch the boxing on pay per view, soon as it was over unplugged. My daughter has now moved out and has taken the sky multiroom box and viewing card with her and it is now working perfectly in her house. What difference does it make if she watches it in her bedroom at our house or in her own house? She hasnt got a landline phone at her house either so it would be really expensive for her as she would have to have a BT line and monthly line rental etc, she can't afford that!
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 29 August 2011 at 1:00PM
    We have had Sky for over 15 years and have never ever left the phone connected, not even in the first year. We have moved three times and still not plugged the phone line in. For the last three years we have had multi room as well and never had this plugged into a phone line either. Twice in the last five years we have plugged in the phone line but that was because my husband wanted to watch the boxing on pay per view, soon as it was over unplugged. My daughter has now moved out and has taken the sky multiroom box and viewing card with her and it is now working perfectly in her house. What difference does it make if she watches it in her bedroom at our house or in her own house? She hasnt got a landline phone at her house either so it would be really expensive for her as she would have to have a BT line and monthly line rental etc, she can't afford that!

Because you are only paying for one subscription, so she 's committing fraud (or rather you are, if the contract is in your name) and is in breach of the T&C's.
    She doesn't need a landline to have a Sky subscription, yoy can buy out that option for £20 when you sign up (unless you want Multi-room).
    Multi-room means what it says-Multi-room, not Multi-house.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • She hasnt got a landline phone at her house either so it would be really expensive for her as she would have to have a BT line and monthly line rental etc, she can't afford that!
    As is often said on this website, if she can't afford a luxury she can go without. Sky is a luxury
  • Tropez
    Tropez Posts: 3,696 Forumite
    She hasnt got a landline phone at her house either so it would be really expensive for her as she would have to have a BT line and monthly line rental etc, she can't afford that!

I really want a Porsche 911 Turbo. I can't really afford one but by your logic it would be okay for me to commit fraud in order to obtain one.

Your logic, however, is flawed.

Sky may not aggressively enforce their policy about boxes being connected but it does get enforced and people do get letters. Hopefully, they will catch on to you soon. :)
  • Tropez wrote: »
    I really want a Porsche 911 Turbo. I can't really afford one but by your logic it would be okay for me to commit fraud in order to obtain one.

Your logic, however, is flawed.

Sky may not aggressively enforce their policy about boxes being connected but it does get enforced and people do get letters. Hopefully, they will catch on to you soon. :)
    I hope they bill her for both subscriptions aswell.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure