PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Smoking Kenwood Chef! - its Dead!!!

Options

Comments

• skinnygirlnot
    Options
    Thanks Malamala. :T
    I couldn't resist trying it out again and I was able to mix a cake! I hope I haven't ruined it.

Where did you get the capacitors from, the kenwood site or ebay?
  • malamala
    malamala Posts: 491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Got capacitors from RS components (quite cheap), I guess you can also purchase online rswww.com
  • kittiwoz
    kittiwoz Posts: 1,321 Forumite
    Options
    In your case, Skinnygirlnot, since it is still working it sounds like it was probably belt slippage as Rizla01 suggested, so I don't think you'll be needing new capacitors. I think it will be fine but if you have problems again check the belt first because that's the most likely problem.
  • skinnygirlnot
    Options
    Thanks Kittiwoz.

I opened it up this weekend and checked the capacitors which seem intact. I didn't notice a belt. Where would that be please?:confused:
  • kittiwoz
    kittiwoz Posts: 1,321 Forumite
    Options
    I have never opened up a food processor so I don't know how it is laid out inside but the belt will look like a big black rubber band connecting the motor output to the blades and I would think it should be pretty obvious. I found a picture on this spares site which shows it is a toothed belt which reduces the chance of slippage. Did the smoke smell rubbery? That would indicate belt slippage. Is it still working or has it stopped again? I don't think you can have fried any of the electrical components or it wouldn't have worked again once it had cooled down. I think it must be some sort of mechanical problem even if it isn't the belt.
  • skinnygirlnot
    Options
    I couldn't really say if it smelt particularly rubbery, more oily I think. I did make a cake in it the next week and it seemed fine. It is the mixer not the food processor though.
    I have looked everywhere for an independent appliance repairer to service it and set my mind at rest but there seem to be none locally. The kenwood site have a list of places that service chefs but they are too far and incur at quite a hefty postage fee. On top of repair cost it will be more than I paid for it and I might as well put the money towards a new one! Or should I?:confused:
  • Psykicpup
    Psykicpup Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can find an authorised repairer through this page
    http://www.kenwoodservice.co.uk/agents/agent-locator.htm

In your shoes I would take it an authorised repairer and have it properly serviced. You should end up with a still reasonably priced, good solid A901 Chef for less than one of the current models.

havent looked at site yet but does anyone knowif they do a general service on Kenwoods? I have a very aged one that I cant use at mo but wont buy a new one/other food proccesor until I know its funeral time for it - It cost me nowt really so dont mind spending a bit if it can be repaired!
    I THINK is a whole sentence, not a replacement for I Know

Supermarket Rebel No 19:T
  • bcringer
    Options
    The belt can be found by removing the plate where you connect the liquidiser. Remove the liquidiser cover and undo the 3 screws. This allows you to remove the circular doughnut shaped piece of plastic. Underneath that is a circular metal disc. Remove that too. You should then be able to see part of the belt. In order to remove the belt you need to basically dismantle the top part of the mixer. There are 2 more screws at the front just underneath where you connect the mincer or cheese grater. This allows you to remove that bottom panel covering the main (cake) mixer. Then you can remove the entire top panel. This will expose the entire belt and allow you to examine and/or replace it.
  • bcringer
    Options
    All,

I have recently had problems with 2 different Kenwood chefs.

The first was an A901. It made a 'popping' noise and then gave out white smoke. On examination this turned out to be a blown capacitor. It will be pretty obvious. There should be a crack in it or possibly a burn mark. In my case it was the 0.15 microfarad capacitor.

I also had a problem with a KM200 which would only operate at max speed. This was rectified by replacing the triac (colour black, approx. 1 cm square, 3 legs, secured to a metal place with a nut and bolt).

The triac can be bought from maplin and has part no. BTA08-600B. You should also be able to get a 0.15 microfarad capacitor also.

Good Luck
  • liamck
    Options
    bcringer wrote: »
    All,

I have recently had problems with 2 different Kenwood chefs.

The first was an A901. It made a 'popping' noise and then gave out white smoke. On examination this turned out to be a blown capacitor. It will be pretty obvious. There should be a crack in it or possibly a burn mark. In my case it was the 0.15 microfarad capacitor.

I also had a problem with a KM200 which would only operate at max speed. This was rectified by replacing the triac (colour black, approx. 1 cm square, 3 legs, secured to a metal place with a nut and bolt).

The triac can be bought from maplin and has part no. BTA08-600B. You should also be able to get a 0.15 microfarad capacitor also.

Good Luck

I also had the one speed problem with my Kenwood A901, however, i replaced the triac yet that didn't solve the problem. I loosened the scews holding the circuit board a bit and that allows me to regulate the speed slightly, however it is not a constant rotation at the lower speeds and the motor and fan seem to jump when on lower speeds, any ideas?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure