Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

charities for help with vet bills?

Hi,

I'm looking for any charities that you may know of that provide help with vets bills for people on low money?
I have tried the PDSA but I think i may be outside of their postcode area for pet treatment.

Will be grateful for any suggestions of organisations/charities!

Thanks!

hope i got the right forum, wasn't sure where to post!

Comments

• LuciferTDark
    LuciferTDark Posts: 1,525 Forumite
    Winnings :D
    01/12/07 Baileys Cocktail Shaker

My other signature is in English.
  • Try calling PDSA's freephone enquiry line on 0800 731 2502 to check if you're eligible. Or you could log onto the PDSA website at www.pdsa.org.uk for more information.

To be eligible for PDSA-funded veterinary treatment you must be in receipt of either Housing benefit or Council tax benefit and live within the defined catchment area of a PDSA PetAid hospital or PetAid practice.
  • I was surprised to find out recently that if you are not receiving benefits of some kind, neither the RSPCA or PDSA will help with the cost or treatment.

I personally think this is appalling, if you have a pet and look after it well but are on a low income, you get no help at all. They will not even allow you to pay as much as you can afford towards treatment or the needed operation.

I thought that both organisations were there to help the animals, not just to help animals whose owners are in receipt of benefits.

It has certainly altered my attitude to giving to any pet charity now and I wonder just how many people are aware of their rules.

If anyone can throw any further light on the above I would be interested to hear what they have to say.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can and the wisdom to know it's me"
  • LuciferTDark
    LuciferTDark Posts: 1,525 Forumite
    When you consider both the RSPCA & PDSA are charities & have to rely on donations to cover their costs it's not that much of a surprise they won't help unless you're on benefits, I know from past experience the PDSA will help if you at least get Housing Benefit.

Last time I went to a PDSA with one of my animals minimum donation was £5.
    Winnings :D
    01/12/07 Baileys Cocktail Shaker

My other signature is in English.
  • Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It might help if you could advise what it would be for, i.e. there are places that will help with neutering etc
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Also, what area are you in? I know of a private surgery in Nottinghamshire that is run on a not for profit basis.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Bob63
    Bob63 Posts: 1,320 Forumite
    I was surprised to find out recently that if you are not receiving benefits of some kind, neither the RSPCA or PDSA will help with the cost or treatment.
    But where do you draw the line? How do you make the distinction, for example, between those who cannot afford to pay and those that are too tight to pay?

Receipt of benefit is an easy understand/administer qualification.
  • It would be difficult I agree but I still think that to only help people who are on benefits is wrong.

You might be on a low wage/pension and a very tight budget, just too much income to be able to claim benefits and you would get no help. Why should claiming benefits automatically give you the right to free treatment for your animal(s)?

I still think that it is the animal that should count, especially with an animal charity.

Not an easy decision to make but I still think that a way could be found, a sliding scale maybe?
    Grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can and the wisdom to know it's me"
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    The dogs trust gave a discount when I was on benefits and had my dog neutered,Think it cost me £25 in the end:p
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Hi we get working tax credits to top up OH's wages and want to get our female dog neutered, the vet quoted around £140. I have looked on pdsa site and am waiting for a reply as not sure I fit into postcode catchment area we live in Wiltshire I too would like to know if there is anywhere in my area to get some help with the costs. thanks
    LBM-29/08/07
    Good Enough Club member no 42
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family