Cashing a cheque without putting it in her bank account?? (Premium bonds)

today my mum won 500 on the premium bonds (!!!) and does not want my miser of a father to gets his hands on it and save it, hence not wanting to pay it into her account as it'll show up on their bank statement!

is there any way she can cash it (even if it costs)? apart from opening a 'secret' bank account? the cheque is in her name, if that helps :confused:

xx

Comments

• today my mum won 500 on the premium bonds (!!!) and does not want my miser of a father to gets his hands on it and save it, hence not wanting to pay it into her account as it'll show up on their bank statement!

is there any way she can cash it (even if it costs)? apart from opening a 'secret' bank account? the cheque is in her name, if that helps :confused:

xx

I believe this loophole was closed some years ago.
    Premium bond winnings are paid with a crossed cheque which has to go through an account in the name in which it is made out.

This stops ability to counter sign cheques and pass them on as payment for something else.
    I imagine this removed things LIKE the abiltiy for a business to avoid putting payments through their books and hence avoid tax.
  • ^thanks for the info, i didn't know that, but i can understand why that's the case.

i was just perusing the net, and found one of those cash converter things... so are they illegal?! where they ask for 3 forms of id? x
  • Ian_W
    Ian_W Posts: 3,778 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    They can't be illegal as they plainly advertise cheques cashed in open view on a high street near you. I'm sure trading standards would have stopped them before now if illegal.

Give your local one a call and ask if they can do it and what the charge will be. Likely to be quite expensive I would have thought.
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    is there any way she can cash it (even if it costs)? apart from opening a 'secret' bank account?
    xx

Why not open "secret" bank account? Doesn't have to be a current account and you avoid deductions for cheque cashing facilities.
  • ^She would, but what about all the statements, etc? I know lloyds allow the option of not getting them, but do they still call home?

Does anyone know of a bank where you don't get paper statements, you don't have to have an existing current account, and has a decent rate of interest?!
  • someone
    someone Posts: 823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Why not open "secret" bank account? Doesn't have to be a current account and you avoid deductions for cheque cashing facilities.
    Or find an old cash-book account and use that to cash it (i.e. pay it in and when it clears take it out)
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Could you not receive statements for her? There are plenty of on-line bank accounts, but when you open them they send you basic stationary.
  • ^We live at the same address.

Hmm, tis a bit of a pain really. He took the last 100 that was won, and we never saw it ever again, even though it was supposed to pay my books for uni..! ugh.
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Even though it's crossed - a Bureaux de Change - will normally cash it. Don't know how they get around the Cheques Act 1992 .. which stipulates that such cheques must go via an account containing the payee name .. but they do. Hence why they are top of the Money Laundering risk list.

They will charge .. but their charges are scaled based on the risk to them of it bouncing. In this case (Treasury funded) .. it will be low risk, but their charge will still be fairly hefty.
    Does anyone know of a bank where you don't get paper statements, you don't have to have an existing current account, and has a decent rate of interest?!

An online account such as the Halifax Web saver fits most of the criteria. But any account paying interest, the provider has to send a certificate of interest paid / tax deducted .. each year.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • Suzey
    Suzey Posts: 2,714 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Is there any way you can get her bonds put into your name so she doesn't have to worry about this in future? Just an idea...

Suze

today my mum won 500 on the premium bonds (!!!) and does not want my miser of a father to gets his hands on it and save it, hence not wanting to pay it into her account as it'll show up on their bank statement!

xx
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Savings & Investments, Small Biz MoneySaving and House Buying, Renting & Selling boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the Report button, or by e-mailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure