PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How do you 'de-shine' a suit?

2»

Comments

• tawnyowls
    tawnyowls Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Steaming the suit using a wet cloth and a hot iron held close to, but not on the cloth, is also suggested as a remedy.
  • CGG
    CGG Posts: 746 Forumite
    Oh dear Gawd, help me!
    OH bought a new suit 2 years ago for his father's funeral. It's not been worn since.
    We are going to an awards do tonight at DS's school, so need to look our best.
    Last night I got out OH's suit, but it had been squashed in the wardrobe, so I hung it in the bathroom believing the unwanted mass of creases would hang out in the steamy atmosphere.
    They didn't.
    I have steam ironed the trousers this morning. They have come up fine. But, and it's a big but, I did the same to the jacket, and now I've hung it up - it's gone shiny!
    Is there anything I can do?
  • arnie&caseysma!
    arnie&caseysma! Posts: 1,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Try ironing it again but this time put a damp (not too wet) tea towel ontop first. This is what we used to do with our old uniform trousers even through boss used to tell us not to wet the tea towel but this made them shiny and I had to use a damp one to get rid.
    "Life may not always be the party you wish for, but whilst here you may aswell dance"!!!
    Murphy's NMPC Memb No 239!
    Dippychick's De-clutter club Member No 6! - onto room no 2!
    My Avatar? Arnie and Casey, proud parents to Storm and Tsu born 19/01/2009!!! - both now in new homes and called Murron and Burger!
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi there :beer: We have an existing thread on just this subject - I'll add this thread so that you can browse the other replies.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Normally we like shiney things but not when they're suits.

I've got a nice navy blue wool suit that I've had about four years. It's starting to gleam a bit round the elbows and the trouser seat.

The dry cleaner said he could 'retexturise' it (whatever that means) but thought it was too worn to make much difference.

Does anyone have any old style remedies for this? I seem to recall reading in a wartime 'make do and mend' book that you could do it with light sandpapering, but I'd be worried I'd end up with my bum showing through!

Hi there, well strangely enough I did read my "household remedy book " a little while back for exactly the same issue - Shiny wear marks on my trousers - the remedy - and by the way it works wonders.....

Make up a very weak solution of coffee ( black ) very weak... and spray onto the trousers/suit and press in the normal way with a damp tea towel over - press / Iron the jacket inside out the suit will look like new ( obviously only if it is a dark colour ( ie : black or navy ). Pressupper trousers inside out to get ride of the creases at the "groan" area - then turn out normally spray lightly with the coffee solution and Press with a damp cloth.... Dont rub iron too hard. Just a light pressing....hope this works... oh and I was supprised it does not make your suit smell of coffee - more like dry cleaning ? how I dont know .. but worked for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure