Please help me get rid of cold callers(i need a sticker) :(

Comments

• 1jim
    1jim Posts: 2,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    we got ours from the local police at a village fair where they had a stall
    to be honest they dont work, we still get as many cold callers and now I just get more peed off that they have ignored the sign rather than the cold call. Its pointless pointing out the sign because they all seem to think it doesnt apply to them:confused:
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    The only way round this problem is to persuade you council to set up a "No Cold Calling Zone" , which is backed up by the police and Trading Standards. See here for how it works :-

http://www.westsussex.gov.uk/ccm/content/trading-standards/doorstoppers---saying-no-to-doorstep-callers.en?page=5
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • dangeroussports
    dangeroussports Posts: 1,245 Forumite
    Just say "you can come in but I dont have any money at all and bad credit".
  • THIS is what you do:

Buy one of those signs saying "beware of the dog", pick one that looks big and scary, and then set up a CD player so it plays out the window, with a CD full of scary dog noises. It'll clear em off soon enough...
    "Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, But beautiful old people are works of art."
    -- Eleanor Roosevelt
  • catz747
    catz747 Posts: 20,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Don't know where you live but a quick google search of :

free door sticker

gave a few results including a few council websites with a telephone number to call for your free sticker :)

http://www.shropshire.gov.uk/consumer.nsf/open/3963EF18D023F38F80256DF60041427E

http://www.hants.gov.uk/regulatory/safe/doorstep.html
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I don't have any problem with cold callers either in person or via the telephone.

We never get sales people ring us. We are ex-directory, we refuse to give our home phone number to any businesses, only ever give mobile number. I registered with BT privacy service and TPS.

For door callers I have a lovely note which I only used to use on the days OH was sleeping before working nights.

STOP - is your call really necessary? Shift worker asleep. Thank you.

I put it at eye level by the door bell.
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • We also have a similar problem with phone calls for mortgages, which we have learned now always show up on the caller display as "INTERNATIONAL". We simply pick up the phone and then hang it straight back up again.

I was driven mad with these calls, sometimes getting four a day and usually in the evening. Apparently they obtain your number using an overseas computer listing (My calls were originating in Canada)
    If you speak in "German" it stops them in their tracks and I think they probably delete your number from their lists as an error.
    So when caller display shows an International just lift up the handset and follow this script -

"Gutten Tag" (They will probably ask for a person)

"Bitta?" (Not the correct spelling but sounds right)

They will start sounding puzzled now

"Voe ist das ?"

They should ring off but if not just keep repeating the last bit, sounding more and more jacked off each time.

Work a treat for me but make sure you know that it is a cold caller or your friends might think you have gone loopy!
    "It's nice to be important but more important to be nice"

John Templeton 1912-2008
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Ex directory works a charm :) also for cold callers on phones advise them to remove you from their list - by law they have to do this if you ask them - they should have a "black list" of numbers that are blocked from their systems.
    As for the door to door - get a big dog ;) I've not had any cold callers since getting a GSD cross - although the local church still try to get me to cough up for their various fairs and fetes... eventually they too will give up! ;)
    Have to say I admire the DG sales men round here... the houses hadn't been built for 6 months before we had one round... obviously not very bright as it was obvious the houses had DG... duh!
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • PinkLady
    PinkLady Posts: 675 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    1jim wrote: »
    we got ours from the local police at a village fair where they had a stall
    to be honest they dont work, we still get as many cold callers and now I just get more peed off that they have ignored the sign rather than the cold call. Its pointless pointing out the sign because they all seem to think it doesnt apply to them:confused:

---
    I have just had this! 2 calls in 24 hours... they are not selling but giving out information!!! I said BUT YOU ARE SELLING!!! I had a yoghurt in one hand and a small child in the other! :mad:

The signs say 'We don't buy at the door'. Has anyone seen any that say 'No Cold Calling?'
    SW: Wk1 (5) Wk2 (2.5) Wk3 - Wk 4 (4) Wk 5 - (1.5) Wk 6 (1) Total off 1 stone!:j
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Trading standards sometimes provide them for free, we got one sent through door, they seem to target an area. Sadly cold callers dont always READ the sign or they ignore it.

Click here to find out how you can take control of unwanted junk mail, cold calling and block outgoing premium rate telephone calls

I would never buy from EYG, I have had problems in the past for that awful company there are a disgrace. I also used to live next door to one of there fitters he was a right cowboy

http://www.leics.gov.uk/index/community/community_services/reg_services/trading-standards/trading_standards_consumer_adviceinfo/no_cold_calling_zones.htm

a printed doc to use at above link
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport