PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How much notice does a Landlord need to give to tenant to vacate?

2»

Comments

• It's 2 months unless Landlord lives in the building
  • tbs624
    tbs624 Posts: 10,816 Forumite
    It's 2 months unless Landlord lives in the building
    Yes, but note that the OP says she has a fixed term through until next March so without a breach on her part LL can give that 2 months via a S21 but won't be able to commence action for repossession until after that March expiry date :)
  • tbs624 wrote: »
    Yes, but note that the OP says she has a fixed term through until next March so without a breach on her part LL can give that 2 months via a S21 but won't be able to commence action for repossession until after that March expiry date :)

Unless there's a break clause. Still not been served notice properly but unless we know the details of any break clause we are assuming it is fixed until March 2011 with no get out for the LL.
  • Jowo_2
    Jowo_2 Posts: 8,308 Forumite
    Gareth83 wrote: »
    Is 2 rental months the norm then?

A friend has lived in the same rented property for 14yrs and now the LL has given them 1 month to move out

Where do they stand?

Your friend should work through the Shelter tenancy checker as tenancies that commenced before 27 Feb 1997 can be of different types depending on the type of agreement or notice issued, and this will be the main factor in determining whether they have greater security of tenure (assured tenant) or not, compared with tenants that have an AST (assured shorthold). Very important for them to determine their legal status. Have they had changes to their tenancy agreement since they first moved in or are they on the original one?

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/downloads_and_tools/tenancy_checker
  • tbs624
    tbs624 Posts: 10,816 Forumite
    Jowo wrote: »
    Your friend should work through the Shelter tenancy checker as tenancies that commenced before 27 Feb 1997 can be of different types depending on the type of agreement or notice issued, and this will be the main factor in determining whether they have greater security of tenure (assured tenant) or not, compared with tenants that have an AST (assured shorthold). Very important for them to determine their legal status. Have they had changes to their tenancy agreement since they first moved in or are they on the original one?

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/downloads_and_tools/tenancy_checker
    Jowo - bit of confusion as hmerrick has piggybacked on an existing thread.

Gareth's post, to which you have responded is dated *January 2010" so it's likely the mate will be sorted out by now: Gareth himself tagged on to a thread from 2008.....:)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    hmerrick wrote: »
    My landlady just sent me a txt let me know I need to vacate in one month.
    I have a 12 months contract that finishes the 4th of March, 2011.
    I tried to talk to her but she just switch off her mobile.
    Can she does that?
    I thought it was 2 months at least but not sure as I am new living in this country and dont know so well al the tenancy laws.

I will really appreciate your comments.
    You have the full right to stay there until 4 March 2011. She can do nothing about that.
    If she wants you to leave, she cannot text you. She has to provide you with a proper/written S21 notice, which would have to be given to you before 4 January 2011 (her giving you 2 months' notice).

She cannot let herself in, she cannot turn up and tell you to get out - no matter what the date is.

She cannot assume you have left on 4 March, if you have not left on 4 March, she has to go to court to get you formally asked to leave.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure