PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Catering for approx 120?

2»

Comments

• ubamother
    ubamother Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    sounds great - I think a lot depends on your venue. I will play devil's advocate and add a few words of caution though - there is a risk you end up managing your wedding day, not enjoying it on the actual day. You are the one who should be having fun, not mentally ticking off a list and removing clingfilm, decanting tupperware etc. Do you really want to spend the days before your wedding up to your elbows in onions etc. Who is moving all this food, setting it out, making sure cutlery and crockery is out, clearing it away, washing it up etc. etc. etc. Will you be able to enjoy your wedding preparations on the day before and the day itself - all that make-up/dressing/giggling/hairstyling that needs to go on! Please understand I'm not being anti - just thinking of a few things that may or may not be worth thinking about in your planning.
  • We did this in February 2007 with 120 people in our local village hall....ours was fantastic, didn't cost us a fortune and gave everyone a chance to pitch in and help..

We got married at 3pm, had cream teas, mulled wine and wine at around 4.30pm - this was easy to set up in advance, you could make and freeze scones in advance but I found a local lady who made them for 20p each, bought a big vat of jam from Makro and clotted cream from Costco. I had a vision of a 1940's tea dance but then forgot to put the music on - nobody noticed though and I took the still wrapped CD's back for a refund!

We then had a hot food buffet at 7.30 with chilli, veg chilli and fish and chips. Hubby made the chilli's in advance (you'll need more than the quantities you've noted above, work to 100g of meat per person) and our local chippy delivered fish and chips - we got them to cut the fish into two bit so that they were a more manageable size. Our chippy was glad of the business in a quiet time of year, we got a good deal that meant we weren't trying to cater all of it.

BUT I was pretty determined that my friends and family were not going to spend the whole of my wedding cooped up in the kitchen, cooking, clearing and washing up so I hired in a lady my aunt knew who put together a team of girls to come in and help. They cooked the rice, re-heated the chilli, set out the teas, coffees, mulled wine etc (my friends made the mulled wine in the morning and it was just re-heated in the afternoon). I've done outside catering and it's hard work and involves someone really being in control and organising. I think we paid them £5 or £6 an hour and I think it was about £100 all in - it was well worth it in my book.

We all went to the hall in the morning to set up the tables and deliver vast quantities of wine, juice, sparkling wine, bottled water etc., don't under estimate how long this will take - I doubt you can achieve this in time to be ready for a 12.30 ceremony, especially if your ceremony is in the same location. I'd go for a later ceremony if you can, this might avoid your two buffet scenario as well...We then left the "staff" to sort out cutlery, glasses, cups and to set out the cream teas.

Even with "staff" it still meant quite a lot of organising on our part throughout the rest of the afternoon and evening to make sure things happened as we wanted them, you'll need to be fairly relaxed about how things go unless you are going to spend the whole of your day being absolutely in control of everything which IMO will spoil your day.

Cold buffet - these are harder work than hot food, sandwiches are especially labour intensive and take up a lot of space in the fridge. I'd go for something more rustic than sandwiches and just put out sliced meat and loaves of bread so that people can DIY.

Don't assume that when people say they'd like to help that they actually mean it and that they will turn up and do what they say they will do! People say it because mainly everyone says "no thank you"!! They don't entirely expect you to say "yes please" and put you on the list. I'm a bit of a control freak and we (with close friends and close family) sorted everything ourselves because that way we KNEW it would get done...my cousin was supposed to contribute salsa for the chilli and it was a nightmare, hours of calls for a very small ball of salsa that was lovely but didn't go around!

I liked the idea above of re-homing a big chest freezer, we struggled for fridge and freezer space, not helped by it being unseasonably warm so that my plan of leaving the wine outside overnight to chill it didn't work as it was 8 degrees!

I'd recommend using Costco if you have one as they will take back anything that is unused, I took back a box of plastic cutlery, some banqueting roll, tea-lights, foil trays and some other stuff that we didn't use BUT you have to make sure people don't open all the boxes....we are still working our way through vast amounts of plastic cutlery as someone opened a new box that wasn't then needed!

Are you paying corkage at your hall? Oh and don't forget the wedding cake "cheat", the pretty cake people see, doesn't have to be the one you serve them...you can have a small'ish pretty cake and keep a slab of just iced cake in the kitchen to serve up, firstly this gets cake out quickly without waiting for someone to chop it up as you can do it in advance and secondly avoids having to produce large amounts of pretty cake!

Sorry for the hugely long post! Drop me a PM if you want to.
    Piglet

Decluttering - 127/366

Digital/emails/photo decluttering - 5432/2024
  • The best buffets at weddings and celebrations I have been to have always been the ones which have been done by the hosts themselves (or the hosts and their friends/relatives).

The best wedding evening event was a cold buffet where the majority of the guests seemed to be bringing along food to contribute to the buffet. My only regret was as only colleage mates, we had not been asked because I would have happily bought along a contribution as I love to cook.

Hope you have a great day, just remember to Delegate, Delegate, Delegate, you should be enjoying your day and not managing everyone else.

I used to help cook for about 50 - 60 people over a weekend (2 lunches and 1 evening meal). There were only 2 of us cooking, but it worked because the lady in charge wrote a list of the food which needed to be prepared for each meal. I could then just get on with it and pick a 'task' from the list. You could create a list beforehand and if people have already volunteered put their name against it. Put it on the wall and then people know what needs to be done (and possibly by whom). I like the idea about hiring people to do the final preparations (and especially the washing up)

Amanda
    I want to be credit card and loan free by Christmas 2010
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    piglet brilliant advice
    i did catering for my wedding in 1998 and it can be hard work.i found the hardest thing was fridge space to keep things cold but your hall sounds well equiped.i think u should find someone to oversee things..put the coffee maker on etc.....an aunr did it for us but perhaps u could pay someone
    m and s do nice wedding cakes quite small looking but reasonable price (in wedding cake talk)
    onwards and upwards
  • Maddie
    Maddie Posts: 858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks again all!

Very good to hear all the possible things that can go wrong - at least then I can do my best to avoid them or at least be aware of the risk.

I'm definitely using whattogive.co.uk, can't remember how I found it, but had it in my favourites for a while - and the new look site is much better!

For the slow cookers I'll try to borrow some, otherwise will put them on the wedding list but as a buy and lend, but then you get it after type gift (after all - everyone should have a slow cooker right!).

I'm going to put the bridesmaids in charge of telling tables when to get up for the buffet and generally managing that side of things. For other tasks I'm going to put them on the gift list - i.e. one gift can be to get there early and help put the chairs out in rows, and another to help lay out the tables etc. Then I'll put someone in overall charge for the day, to avoid people asking me what to do (possibly chief bridesmaid, but would need someone else for before we arrive there).

Some of my sisters friends have offered themselves up for the day as general helpers, so I think I should take them up on the offer. I guess it will be good to have extra hands who aren't feeling like their working instead of enjoying themselves..

I am very relaxed about the whole thing, so hopefully won't get stressed on the day. I really don't care that much about how things look etc, although I do want all the guests to enjoy it and to feel like they are at a wedding.

Foe the cold buffet sandwiches, I was thinking diy - just have a load of breadcakes from a local bakery and carved meat joints (need to check if I have any vegetarian guests!). I originally planned to have a hog roast, but was quoted £700 for 200 sandwiches!

We're ordering some wine for the tables from the halls supplier, then there is a reasonably priced bar at the hall. We're not having a tab as don't want people to feel they have to drink loads before it runs out etc. Hopefully people will think its fair to just provide some wine to get them started.

My fianc!'s mum is making the cake, no idea if she's any good at icing, but so long as its bug and tasty I don't care!

I'm hoping that if most people bring something, it will be there best and favourite dish, so it will all be really yummy and varied.

I'll work out how many slow cookers I need by working out how many ladles each person will want and what volume that it (so the maths degree has been useful!).

Better stop writing now! :p
    Proud to be a moneysaver! :cool:
  • If you wanted guaranteed quality control(always risky with bring a dish )M&S and Sainsbury do platters you can pre-order you could get everyone to bring one of those

Hog roast ,you can hire the rotisserie machines and do it yourself and much easier to manage as its just sandwiches really

most butchers will sell you a whole cooked ham/turkey etc why not do cold meat with hot new potatoes and a few differrrent salads which can be prepared in advance when i was a caterer this was my most popular for large functions

loved the mulled wine idea

Have a great day

Shaz
    Shaz
  • suec
    suec Posts: 254 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Hi its a great idea but it is a lot of work.
    I got married 12 years ago and we had a humanist ceramony and held this in a marquee in my aunts garden.We did hire caterers but we had to organise everything else our selves. It was amazing day we did have alot of help from friends and families.
    I also went to catering college along time ago and while we were there we used to get hired for various events etc.

If your local college has a catering dept it might be worth asking them if you can hire a coule of students ,Yes it is money but they could help with displaying the food ,clearing up and generally help with serving drinks etc
    The more help the better to take the stress out of the day. It also helps out broke students
  • I havn't read the rest of the thread so forgive me if I am repeating others here..

The idea of the hot buffet sounds fab!

I would suggest that in the evening you get a cuple of big George Formans (try freecycle of littlewoods/addisitions direct have a huge one with about £50 off at the moment plus there are loads of codes flying around) ,rope in the best man/ushers/friends and get them cooking bacon barms!

We went to a very posh wedding a month ago at the best hotel in town and this is what they served,so much better than a big huge buffet that gets wasted!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure