AA renewal rip off

Comments

• I've just got my renewal. It's doubled because they have upgraded me to Silver Membership which includes cover for Europe (I don't and will never drive in Europe) and cover for 17 year olds (I only have a cat who is unlikely to drive??). Not only that but my renewal date 18 May but they have taken the first payment on 4 May??? Not happy. Will cancel.
  • itsanne
    itsanne Posts: 4,992
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Although they invariably bring the price down, I got thoroughly fed up with haggling with the AA on an annual basis, especially as being "honoured" with their "Gold Membership"seems a way to rip off existing customers. This year I voted with my feet and took a bank account which included RAC cover.
    . . .I did not speak out

Then they came for me
    And there was no one left
    To speak out for me..

Martin Niemoller
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Never, EVER opt for a DD payment. It removes your ability to negotiate when they have access to your funds. I've been with the RAC for 10 years but each annual renewal had to be negotiated, and I send a cheque in the post to their Patchway HQ.

A little pain perhaps, but financially worthwhile.
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,264
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Buzby wrote: »
    Never, EVER opt for a DD payment. It removes your ability to negotiate when they have access to your funds.

No it does not, just cancel the DD if you do not wish to pay for further cover, simple.
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    cajef wrote: »
    No it does not, just cancel the DD if you do not wish to pay for further cover, simple.

You miss the point. They take the funds in advance of the renewal. With te funds akenbthey will not refund. If you remember to cancel before hand, great - but that isn't wat te OP complained about.

The reason why firms love this type of payment, is the bulk of folk forget and the payment rolls on. No DD = not having to remember to cancel.
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,703
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 9 May 2013 at 1:26PM
    Never, EVER opt for a DD payment. It removes your ability to negotiate when they have access to your funds. I've been with the RAC for 10 years but each annual renewal had to be negotiated, and I send a cheque in the post to their Patchway HQ.

A little pain perhaps, but financially worthwhile.

Got to dispute this. Rang the RAC this morning because their price (already discounted according to the letter) was higher than an alternative breakdown cover with another company.

Rang to cancel. When asked why I was cancelling told them I could get cover with another company at a better price. They asked me what the better price was - I told them. Upshot was that I got offered a further discount PLUS 15 months cover (instead of 12) and I'm a DD customer.

My DD is due later this month - so the trick is to ring before the DD is collected. I got the letter about 3 weeks ago. Mind you I set my DD payment up initially to fit in with my pay day. So a DD doesn't remove your ability to renegotiate - or cancel - at all!
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,046
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Valli wrote: »
    Got to dispute this. Rang the RAC this morning because their price (already discounted according to the letter) was higher than an alternative breakdown cover with another company.

Rang to cancel. When asked why I was cancelling told them I could get cover with another company at a better price. They asked me what the better price was - I told them. Upshot was that I got offered a further discount PLUS 15 months cover (instead of 12) and I'm a DD customer.

My DD is due later this month - so the trick is to ring before the DD is collected. I got the letter about 3 weeks ago. Mind you I set my DD payment up initially to fit in with my pay day. So a DD doesn't remove you ability to renagotiate - or cancel - at all!

We have a free bank account with the RAC cover, however AA are (and have been for as long as I can remember) cheaper for fleet services. There was a much smaller company that they matched easily last year, however I don't know if that's because they wanted 600-odd renewals at the same time :eek:. Especially as we typically have about 5 smashes each year, and about 5 breakdowns.

And no, I won't pay them by direct debit, both as it costs more (we get charged with a business account), however much they feel like it!

CK
    💙💛 💔
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,264
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 9 May 2013 at 10:52AM
    You miss the point. They take the funds in advance of the renewal. With te funds akenbthey will not refund. If you remember to cancel before hand, great - but that isn't wat te OP complained about.

Where in a two year old thread did the OP mention any payment by DD, as for removing your ability to negotiate what a load of rubbish.

You have posted your opinions about DD's in various threads, opinions are just what they are don't hijack other threads with them.
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,046
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Sorry, Investec, HSBC and an external shareholder have sorted us out already :)

Please go and span somewhere else. Reported.
    💙💛 💔
  • Susiepet
    Susiepet Posts: 10
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Just saved £70 with the RAC by querying my renewal....it certainly does pay to haggle - politely.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure