Verified by Visa problems - anyone else?

Comments

• Asa
    Asa Posts: 59 Forumite
    ive had many problems with the VbV while trying to purchase from plant sites for my mum.
    we tried it on different sites and different cards and they still decline!
    i sign up to the VbV thingy and set up a password and they password doesnt work and you just cant purchase anything! its crap! i even tried with my sisters bank account and yet have the same problem.

Does anyone know the fix for this?
    My only credit: Contract phone for £25 p/m they gave me (no joke!) 3x 8gb micro sd's, 1x extra battery, 1x spare charger, SIXTY QUID CASH!, TWENTY FIVE POUND CHEQUE!, 2x 2gb micro sd's, SE Satio, 300mins, 3000txts, unlimited internet! from P4U too! :beer:
  • Evilm
    Evilm Posts: 1,950 Forumite
    When I have to use sites like that I put the information into the first page and on the next page it gives you a cancel option. Therefore I have got out of using it and ever setting a password. the transactions still go through and it doesn't seem to cause me a problem.
  • martinman3
    martinman3 Posts: 727 Forumite
    Evilm wrote: »
    When I have to use sites like that I put the information into the first page and on the next page it gives you a cancel option. Therefore I have got out of using it and ever setting a password. the transactions still go through and it doesn't seem to cause me a problem.
    Yes, that used to work for me when VbV was optional for purchasing from most websites but now it seems to be compulsory and clicking cancel now seems to abort the transaction.
  • Evilm
    Evilm Posts: 1,950 Forumite
    martinman3 wrote: »
    Yes, that used to work for me when VbV was optional for purchasing from most websites but now it seems to be compulsory and clicking cancel now seems to abort the transaction.

I managed to do it just last week without problem. i guess we are just using different websites!
  • martinman3
    martinman3 Posts: 727 Forumite
    Evilm wrote: »
    I managed to do it just last week without problem. i guess we are just using different websites!
    I am guessing then that it is probably based on the levels of fraud they have seen on certain types of transactions and I have just been unlucky. I would be surprised though if you could purchase a new TV online now without using VbV (or Mastercard Securecode).
  • serena90
    serena90 Posts: 17 Forumite
    I do wonder whether it's worth the bother too...:(

I was directed to VbV while making a payment this evening (I'm with First Direct). I entered my password and the thing froze. As it's not a good idea to press any buttons while a transaction is in process, I waited...then I waited, and I did a bit more waiting. The cursor was jammed and I couldn't get off the page. I didn't get any time-out messages. The 'Page Loading' bar was only about a third full. In the end, I had no choice but to switch the machine off and re-boot. Once I was back on-line, I was really surprised to find an e-mail from the retailer I was making the payment to, confirming my order and payment! I checked my available balance with FD and it has, indeed, been taken into account.
  • hippey
    hippey Posts: 849 Forumite
    VbV doesn't really protect cardholders, it's really designed to assist merchants therefore it really was never written with consumers in mind.

I took part in the user testing of it many years ago when I worked at barclays, it really never changed that much after then.
    These are my thoughts and no one else's, so like any public forum advice - check it out before entering into contracts or spending your hard earned cash!

I don't know everything, however I do try to point people in the right direction but at the end of the day you can only ever help yourself!
  • hidunc
    hidunc Posts: 3 Newbie
    I use a debit card to pay my credit card bill, and VBV is a pain. Every time I use it it rejects my password, so I have to reset it answering a simple question. Thing is, the passwords are getting further from my memorable pattern. When I rang the helpline I was told if I only use it once a month the password dies. They said they could set me a permanent one. [It wasn't though]. This month the problem was the expiry date: Apparently it needed the expiry date on the new card that's in the mail to me. I was told there's no such thing as a password dying through lack of use, and that they couldn't set me a permanent one anyway. I'd have to do that. By then the Credit card site had timed out. Last time I phoned this had happened and I think it had accepted m payment.
    All this is too much hassle, for something which is blatantly insecure, which I cannot opt out of, and from an organisation whom I DON'T SEEM TO BE ABLE TO CONTACT TO COMPLAIN! [sorry about the shouting, but I've wasted too much time.
    Can anything be done? Is there an organisation to complain to? Banking ombudsman or someone?
  • bobblebob
    bobblebob Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Verified by Visa is a waste of time, as its an optional service. So how does it improve security? Any dodgy site will simply not use them
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    I had vbv on my capital one account, someone changed the password and used the card (luckily well spotted by Cap 1 and they didnt get any of the stuff they ordered BUT how did they manage to change my password - must be an inside job, which makes you feel nervous.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure