PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Pickling beetroot

Comments

• scuzz
    scuzz Posts: 1,995 Forumite
    Mum normally does it in malt vinegar
    Comping, Clicking & Saving for Change
  • Some other ideas on what to do with your organic beets! I can recommend the roast balsamic beetroot as an accompaniment to cold sliced meats (my kids weren't very impressed but I don't think they'd ever seen purple chips before)

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Stephen_Nottingham/beetroot7.htm#hv
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.
  • Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    I used to do mine in ordinary brown malt vinegar. but one year I grew a load of pink beetroot & I did them in white vinegar, they were not only tasty but looked spectacular! worth trying if you have a veg plot or know someone obliging who would grow a few for you :)
  • lin473
    lin473 Posts: 553 Forumite
    We grow beetroot and my favourite way of eating it is to boil peel and slice then sprinkle with vinegar. Tastes much nicer than pickled as the vinegar drowns the flavour of the beetroot.
    Obviously it doesn't keep as long,(about a week in the fridge),so I usually freeze some after cooking and defrost as needed.
    The texture is slightly different,but I still prefer it to pickled!
  • bektoria
    bektoria Posts: 120 Forumite
    Big thank you to you all, I knew I could rely on you all !!!!

Bek x
  • I used to be able to buy pickled beetroot in MALT vinegar with no sweet taste at all to it, in most supermarkets, but it seems to be becoming scarce in favour of beetroot in spirit vinegar or worse - sweet vinegar.

I checked the mega index and read the thread about beetroot - nothing there regarding pickling - and no seperate thread on any pickling so....

does anyone pickle their own beetroot?

If so - can they please oblige and give me a recipe?

It's the non sweet, sharp malt vinegar flavour I'm after.

And is sugar an essential part of the process? It seems to be in every jar of shop bought stuff I have looked at recently - but it's a while since I have been able to get hold of the malt vinegar sharp tasting version so I'm not sure if it's in that or not.

(Seems Haywards don't make it anymore - only a sweet version - or if they do the shops near me don't stock it).

Thank you
  • sashacat
    sashacat Posts: 821
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I always bottle my beetroot in malt vinegar....just boil it ,peel it and put in jars and cover with the malt vinegar and it is always fine for about 6 months.
    Wombling £457.41
  • demented_2
    demented_2 Posts: 455 Forumite
    Yes i agree with Sashacat. We love pickled beetroot and have been pickling
    it for years. Just use Malt vinegar. We are still eating some from last year
    And its fine. OH used to be a "Proper" Chef and so is a real fuss pot where
    food is concerned and i pickle the beetroot and he's happy with it. So basically just use Malt vinegar.:D
    20p savers club
    before joining had nothing
    joined on 19/03
    now have £40.00 saved :j :j :j
    saving to pay off debts Debts now paid off. Yeah.
    Amazon sellers club member 31
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Mum used to buy beetroot and boil it then immediately cover it in vinegar in a dish.She kept it in the fridge.I had never tasted it without vinegar until I was an adult. She used to do the same with cucumber.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Much easier to roast it rather than boil it.

Twist (don't cut) the leaves from the root. It's OK to leave little stumpy stalks at the top. Wash them and leave the whole lot intact. Don't cut any part of the root as they will bleed.

Dry beets, sprinkle with salt, pepper & oil. Wrap in tin foil and place in a medium hot oven for about 40 minutes.

Remove and when cool peel them.
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure