Can I claim ESA when new partner moves in?

Hi,

My new partner and I have just moved in together, he works full time but doesnt earn a great deal (brings home about £1,000 every 4 weeks)

I have a 5 year old daughter and i get child tax credits.

I am also disabled and get DLA Higher rate Mobility (car) and lower rate personal care (family help me daily)

Am I entitled to claim ESA now?..as I am too ill to commit to working and will now lose income support due to partner moving in.

thanks any help appreciated
:DDistant fields will always look greener.
Yet, golden opportunities are all around you
:D

Comments

• healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    You would not be entitled to income based ESA due to what your partner earns. If you have paid enough contributions in the tax years 06/07 and 07/08 you could be entitled to contribution based ESA. If you have not worked and paid NI in recent years you will not get ESA.
  • sindy_2
    sindy_2 Posts: 298 Forumite
    hmmm ok thanks...I knew I wouldn't be entitled to contribution based ESA but seeing as i'm disabled and on 2 awards of DLA then I would be entitled to it.....?? as it's not my fault I cannot work

Thanks for replying hun
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    sindy wrote: »
    hmmm ok thanks...I knew I wouldn't be entitled to contribution based ESA but seeing as i'm disabled and on 2 awards of DLA then I would be entitled to it.....?? as it's not my fault I cannot work

No DLA does not have any connection to being able to claim ESA, it is down to NI conts/circumstances.
  • sindy_2
    oh dear don't think my partner is aware that he will have to support me 100% financially due to me being disabled and not being able to work!

It's going to be very tight :(
  • karenx
    karenx Posts: 4,988 Forumite
    Remember you will have to start a joint tax credits claim and his income will be included in it, also HB if you rent privatly will have to go to a joint claim too!
  • tigerlily
    tigerlily Posts: 1,228 Forumite
    Without meaning to sound harsh you are getting considerable help already (new or nearly new mobility car, tax credits, care allowance) and now have your partners income aswell. Just for reference his "not a great deal" of earnings is more than alot of people live on with out the extra help of benefits.
    Debt free = December 2010...as of March 2006 it is now January 2010..... as of December 2008 it is now December 2009 :j hopefully sooner!!
    :jDEBT FREE:j January 2012, took longer but I got there, all by myself, through sheer hard work and pride!
  • sindy_2
    tigerlily wrote: »
    Without meaning to sound harsh you are getting considerable help already (new or nearly new mobility car, tax credits, care allowance) and now have your partners income aswell. Just for reference his "not a great deal" of earnings is more than alot of people live on with out the extra help of benefits.

He has 4 kids he pays maintenence for aswell in a previous marriage...the care allowance (17.50 a week) goes to my family for petrol and their time to help me out......

"not a great deal" was meant as a personal feeling towards the job he does.....he's a dustman and works extremely hard in all weathers for a local council and think he should be on more for the service they provide.

Thanks for replying
  • karenx
    karenx Posts: 4,988 Forumite
    Does he pay through the csa? He could ask for a reassesement as it might reduce what he has to pay as they will take into account your child too
  • sindy_2
    karenx wrote: »
    Does he pay through the csa? He could ask for a reassesement as it might reduce what he has to pay as they will take into account your child too

No he doesnt, he pays it privately.....luckily his ex takes less than the csa would demand but its still a chunk when u consider 4 kids...but thats fine...he has to pay that...we understand that
  • sindy_2
    It seems that when I phoned the benefits helpline today they informed me that I should of claimed IB a long time ago!...but I quite clearly remember being told by the jobcentre I'd be better staying on income support because I would receive more money!......is this because they knew that IB was being replaced soon!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family