mum has cancer can i cancel my holiday

Comments

• another possibility is to ask travel company if you can change holiday dates?
    weight loss target 23lbs/49lb
  • muddled
    muddled Posts: 27 Forumite
    Sparky, really sorry about your predicament. Agree with globetraveller to see if the travel company can change holiday dates.
    kind regards.
  • why is there not a question regarding everyone in your family s health my mum is nt flying so i assumed that the info i give is with regards to the people flying on holiday
  • Incapuppy
    Incapuppy Posts: 5,713 Forumite
    That's a very good question Sparky and it is something that I only became aware of a few years ago from information gleaned from this forum.

You will find that the matter will be referred to in the policy small print to which you agree when you buy the policy, and before you ask, time was I never used to read the small print either.

Please speak to your Insurers as only they will be able to advise on your personal situation and I sincerely hope that your Mum's prognosis is not as bad as you are fearing at this time.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,559
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Ambassador
    why is there not a question regarding everyone in your family s health my mum is nt flying so i assumed that the info i give is with regards to the people flying on holiday

Good point. I don't believe you are obliged to disclose details of other family members not directly covered by the policy. After all, where would you stop?
    We successfully claimed on a travel policy for cancellation after a family member passed away a week before we were due to go. She was my wife's brother's wife, so not even a blood relative. We even knew she was terminally ill, just didn't expect it to happen so soon.
    Was half expecting the insurance company to say no, but I explained it all and all they needed was a copy of the death certificate and proof of the cancellation cost. Slightly different circumstances, but still worth asking your insurers.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• luci
    luci Posts: 5,952
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Most policies do mention relatives under "persons on whom the travel depends" or "people not travelling". It is usually, but not always, under the Medical Declaration part of the policy.

Some policies required you to declare everything for relatives, but some, such as Direct Travel, only as that there is no known reason you may cancel.

Who is the policy with Sparky and someone may be able to take a look at the wording?
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    Incapuppy wrote: »
    That's a very good question Sparky and it is something that I only became aware of a few years ago from information gleaned from this forum.

Ditto and ditto...it never occurred to me until reading some travel insurance related posts here that conditions close family members may be suffering from may need to be declared...makes sense if you'll potentially need to cancel a holiday due to their illness (as premiums may increase depending on the specific circumstances) - but really something that never occurred to me before.

Sparky - I hope it all works out ok for your mum.
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • jolfc
    jolfc Posts: 446
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I am sorry to hear this for the op. All I can say is when my mother had cancer I never thought to tell the Post Office insurance policy she had been ill in the last few years. My mother passed away 2 weeks before we were due to go on our holiday and the policy did not cover us cancelling, so we had to change the dates to a later date when we felt up to going, but we had to pay the difference in price. Th Post Office classed anything as close family from mother to step aunty, cousins and children. Hope all is well for the op and the family.
  • thanks for all the replies manage to get thomascook they said they may be able to move the holiday at a cost or travel insurance should cover it the policy is with endsliegh i am still hoping to go on holiday but only fate and time will allow this but i am praying i can as this means mum either got a chance or time the reason for the post was that i just was nt sure what to do i will post again once the situation becomes clearer thank you all for your time
  • Goldielocks
    Goldielocks Posts: 123 Forumite
    Hi,

I can't really help/advise on the insurance situation - but just wanted to say I have empathy with your situation with your mum. I am assuming it is lung cancer from what you have said?

My mum has the same and what you have mentioned about her losing her voice - well the same happened to my mum. It was shortly after she was diagnosed and she had no voice really for months. As you have said already, the consultant suggested this was something to do with the tumour affecting the nerves around the vocal chords.

On a positive note - mum started on intensive chemo and also radiotherapy. Her voice came back quite quickly and is now normal again. She is 'doing ok' at the moment - and I think that's the best anyone can hope for.

Reason for my post - is after Nobjocki's comment...just felt I should post my experience as if you were making this up I am pretty sure you would not know enough medical detail to describe the symptoms - which in my experience is one symptom/side effect that does happen with lung cancer.

All the best anyway xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport