scooter for a 10 year old

my daughter is 10 years old and would love a scooter. Needs to be non-motorised and strong enough for her. Unfortunately she is on the heavy side and needs to exercise more. She hates cycling.

something like this but for older children

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Browse/catalogId/5101/identifier/8228213/FC$Age/5+years+and+over/Trail/C$cip=43463>C$cip=43521>C$cip=43892>FC$Age=5+years+and+over.htm

how does one shorten the above link?
Problem with having access to internet is that i get asked by many to solve their problems :( Well at least i learn something on the way :D

Comments

• bella123
    bella123 Posts: 209 Forumite
    a scootor is not going to help if she is on the heavy side:mad:
  • wazza
    wazza Posts: 2,595 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    i know but when her brothers are out on the bike she wants to join them. she has a bike but wants a scooter.

regarding her weight she is active etc and we control her diet but somehow she is still heavy. she must have a stash under the mattress or buy sweeties while at school????
    Problem with having access to internet is that i get asked by many to solve their problems :( Well at least i learn something on the way :D
  • Lord_Gardener
    Lord_Gardener Posts: 2,971 Forumite
    I suggest that you check out ToysRus and Halfords. We got a very robust one from TRUs a few years ago (M - cro) and our 12 year old is still dashing round on it!
    I'm mad!!!! :rotfl::jand celebrating everyday every year!!!
  • kittiwoz
    kittiwoz Posts: 1,321 Forumite
    wazza wrote:
    regarding her weight she is active etc and we control her diet but somehow she is still heavy. she must have a stash under the mattress or buy sweeties while at school????

I think you should take her to see a doctor. She could have a medical condition such as an underactive thyroid gland. If she is eating secretly it could be an indication of an eating disorder or it could be comfort eating due to some other underlying problem such as being bullied at school. Also they will be able to give you the best advice on diet and exercise for her.

Swimming is often good exercise for people looking to lose weight because you don't have to worry too much about keeping up with or being as good as other people and the water supports your body weight so it seems less like hard work and it doesn't put the pressure on your joints that most other exercise does, particularly if you are overweight.

Maybe you could also find out what classes and clubs are on offer at your local lesiure centre and see if anything appeals to her. I always hated PE at school because it was so geared towards competitive sports and I was never much good. I also hate things like aerobics or going to the gym because it just seems like hard work. However I am now a keen member of the University of Manchester Trampolining Club because, to me, trampolining is just fun so it's easy to get exercise. Maybe she would enjoy some type of sport that she has never been offered in school like trampolining or tae kwon do. (Trampolining might be a bit hard on her knees if she is very overweight though.)

Sorry I haven't said anything about the scooter. I don't know about them so I'm not in a position to advise. I hope this post isn't too off-topic but you seem concerned about her weight and said she needed to exercise more so I thought I'd try to offer some help with that.

What you do to make links is you type [ url="http://www.somesite.com/somepage.html" ]what you want people to read[ /url ] but without the spaces
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    wazza wrote:
    my daughter is 10 years old and would love a scooter. Needs to be non-motorised and strong enough for her. Unfortunately she is on the heavy side and needs to exercise more. She hates cycling.

something like this but for older children

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Browse/catalogId/5101/identifier/8228213/FC$Age/5+years+and+over/Trail/C$cip=43463>C$cip=43521>C$cip=43892>FC$Age=5+years+and+over.htm

how does one shorten the above link?

Argos Scooter
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • dixxi30
    dixxi30 Posts: 489 Forumite
    a scooter is a good form of exercise for anyone its physical exercise.isnt it! have a look at argos and type in this code (3670190).i dont seem to be able to put a link on here for you.its for a person up 60kgs (9 stone 4 pounds so an adult could ride this one.good luck.
  • wazza
    Combo Breaker First Post
    kittiwoz wrote:
    I think you should take her to see a doctor. She could have a medical condition such as an underactive thyroid gland. If she is eating secretly ........................the spaces

thanks for the info. fortunately she is not bullied at school. she loves school. mind consider taking her back to swimming. will take up you idea of taking her to the doctors.

thanks
  • wazza
    Combo Breaker First Post
    rikki and dixxi30 - thanks i have seen them. am looking for something with larger wheels.
  • C_Ronaldo
    C_Ronaldo Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    why a scooter though,
    No Links in Signature by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • wazza
    Combo Breaker First Post
    why a scooter? well she is keen on them :-)

what else do u suggest?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure