PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Any suggestions for removing Irn Bru stain ....

.......from a cream carpet??

I've tried carpet/upholstery cleaner and that Oxi stuff but no joy as yet!

I think the main problem is that it was knocked over on Sat night but not noticed until Sun morning so it had time to soak in and then dry out!

I've heard that brake fluid should help but am a bit reluctant to try it in case the carpet ends up bright orange AND smelly! :eek:

Thanks

Papillon

Comments

• Oscar
    Oscar Posts: 922 Forumite
    House insurance and a new one! Sorry cant help otherwise, use of brake fluid does sound a bit scary. Just a thought... I was once told with any stain just soak with water and dab with dry towel or the like continually as long as the orange colour from the irn bru is lifting. I have tried this on immediate spills and although can be very time consuming and lots of dry towels needed can be quite effective. I'm not so sure about it working on a dried in stain though.
    :j
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Papillon wrote:
    .......from a cream carpet??

I've tried carpet/upholstery cleaner and that Oxi stuff but no joy as yet!
    Hiya :)

If you look in the Cleaning section of the MEGA Index sticky at the top of the Old Style forum you'll find a number of threads listed under "carpets"...

..several of those threads might help you since they cover limeade, cranberry juice, tea...
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Papillon
    Papillon Posts: 21 Forumite
    Lovely - thanks very much :)
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Im not quite sure what irn bru is, but you can remove dried in fruit juices, and cola drink stains with a glycerine solution (half glycerine, half water) leave for an hour, then rinse. If there is still a stain, rub with a laundry pre wash stick, and shampoo. Any remaining stain, you can try a little methylated spirit. HTH
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,111
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    irn bru eeek:eek: . I was once told by a friend who worked for an insurance company that it was the hardest thing to get out. Let us know if you manage it.
  • skystar
    skystar Posts: 527 Forumite
    I knew someone once who worked in the Barr's factory and they had "special" irn-bru remover. Might be worthwhile maybe giving them a call for suggestions.
  • skintscotslass
    skintscotslass Posts: 2,860
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi folks

Any thoughts on how to get a huge iron bru stain out of a carpet please? I have had a search but can't find anything on the forums.

Cheers

SSL xx
  • Fitzio
    Fitzio Posts: 2,199 Forumite
    No idea what would work for irn-bru. Friends of ours had some spilled on their carpet and when they told their insurance company, they immediately said it wasn't worth them sending out a cleaning company and they would just replace it!
  • Bongedone
    Bongedone Posts: 2,457
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    A magnet ?

Sorry could not resist.
  • It was the same with my colleague when their daughter spilt irn bru. They were told by the insurance company that it was the one stain that they could not get out of carpets.
    :grouphug:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport