IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parked in a special enforcement area adjacent to a dropped footway

Hello friends,

I have received a parking ticket from Sutton council of £100 pounds with a 50% concession if paid within 14 days, while parked outside my home on a road which has street parking.

There is a sign which says controlled zone ends and apart from that there are no signs or lines whatsoever and people park where there is a space left. My car was parked on the left side where there is a dropped footpath and on left is a foot-way. Cyclists, buggies, wheelchair users and people on foot use it. My car was parked near there but the dropped footpath goes further ahead of my car and people do not have difficulty in going round the car including an cyclists etc.

Furthermore everyone parks there including me and never got any tickets. I took pictures of my car as well as another car parks in same spot next day with had not been given any ticket.

Also a fine of £100 is too steep anyway.
I am happy to post the pics.
Can someone help me?
Thanks
Rashid

Comments

• Host on tinypic, put the url on here minus the http:// bit. Both sides of paperwork please.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Include the following paragraphs in your appeal;

“Council areas within Greater London that were awarded Special Parking Area status under section 76 of the Road Traffic Act 1991 are now considered, due to paragraph 1(5) of Schedule 10 within the TMA 2004, to be Special Enforcement Areas.

However, such council areas are not considered as Special Enforcement Areas where Statutory Instrument 2009/1116 is concerned. Paragraph 2(5) of S.I. 2009/1116 does not include paragraph 1(5) of Schedule 10 within the TMA 2004, in its definition of Special Enforcement Areas.

(5) In paragraph (4) a special enforcement area means an area designated as a special enforcement area by means of
    (a) an order made under paragraph 1(1) or 3(1) of Schedule 10 to the Traffic Management Act 2004 ; or
    (b) an order which, by virtue of paragraph 2(5) or 3(5) of that Schedule, has effect as if it were an order so made."

Since S.I. 2009/1116 does not include those councils within Greater London that were granted Special Parking Area status under the 1991 Act, it means that those councils do not qualify as being exempt from having to place traffic signs for the purpose of providing information to road users as to the effect of section 85 or 86 of the Traffic Management Act 2004 in their area.

As the prohibition was not signed and no exemption from placing traffic signs has been granted, I require you to cancel this penalty charge forthwith.
  • Coblcris
    Coblcris Posts: 1,862 Forumite
    Which contravention is alleged ?
  • TheBogsDollocks, would that reply that you gave work in my case. I live in Waltham Forest, East London and by the sound of it, my partner was ticketed for virtually the same violation as rashid. There is no indication that it is a violation to park where she did. I have put together an appeal with photo evidence and if quoting those paragraphs will help I'll use them.

Also do you know if there is a time bracket that wardens can issue tickets? she was given two, one at 19.42 and one at 06.32.
  • Ian2709 wrote: »
    TheBogsDollocks, would that reply that you gave work in my case. I live in Waltham Forest, East London and by the sound of it, my partner was ticketed for virtually the same violation as rashid. There is no indication that it is a violation to park where she did. I have put together an appeal with photo evidence and if quoting those paragraphs will help I'll use them.

Yes the argument is valid for any London Borough. This argument has been used a few times now with success. However, the argument tends only to be accepted once an appeal is set to go before an adjudicator when the council pull out. They would not like an adjudicator to validate my argument as that would prohibit the councils from enforcing dropped footways and double parking until the restriction is either signed or a signage exemption is granted via statute.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,349 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 29 March 2010 at 12:13AM
    Ian2709 wrote: »
    TheBogsDollocks, would that reply that you gave work in my case. I live in Waltham Forest, East London and by the sound of it, my partner was ticketed for virtually the same violation as rashid. There is no indication that it is a violation to park where she did. I have put together an appeal with photo evidence and if quoting those paragraphs will help I'll use them.

Also do you know if there is a time bracket that wardens can issue tickets? she was given two, one at 19.42 and one at 06.32.

There are guidelines that say that there is supposed to be 24 hours between PCNs, this has been mentioned before on pepipoo.com and if I were you I would start a new thread over there. Read the READ THIS FIRST sticky and then register and post your thread and images:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=30

AFAIK there is nothing to suggest that the 24 hours ends at midnight (otherwise a CEO could issue a ticket at 11.55pm and another 6 minutes later for the same contravention). Obviously this would not be acceptable practice.

Post on your new thread on pepipoo, pics of the front and back of both the PCNs and any letters received. Plus pics of the bay lines and signs, including the ends of the bay (are they double or single lines at either end and is the bay divided or one long continuous bay?). All that info should get you some helpful responses for wording your appeals to both PCNs.

Include in both informal appeals, TheBogsDollocks' wording - and in the second PCN appeal include the fact that it's a procedural impropriety for a second PCN to be issued for the same contravention within 24 hours. Also include anything the pepipoo experts give you.

Then I think the Council may see sense and cancel the second PCN (maybe!) but I expect they'll refuse the informal appeal on the first one as they rarely fold at that stage. You'll then have a formal appeal chance at NTO stage (pepipoo posters will advise further if you have a good case to continue).

HTH
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Coblcris
    Coblcris Posts: 1,862 Forumite
    The days do 'tick over' at midnight.
    Although issuance a few minutes before midnight and a few minutes after would be good grounds to contest that one of the PCNs should be dropped in this case the timings are not such in my opinion. Each will have to be contested on its merits.
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Blocking any part of a dropped kerb is a 24/7 offence, as is footpath parking, obstruction, etc. so the controlled zone is irellevant, as is the argument "Ive done it many times and not had a ticket/loads of people get away with it" type arguments.
  • flyingscotno1
    flyingscotno1 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Include the following paragraphs in your appeal;

“Council areas within Greater London that were awarded Special Parking Area status under section 76 of the Road Traffic Act 1991 are now considered, due to paragraph 1(5) of Schedule 10 within the TMA 2004, to be Special Enforcement Areas.

However, such council areas are not considered as Special Enforcement Areas where Statutory Instrument 2009/1116 is concerned. Paragraph 2(5) of S.I. 2009/1116 does not include paragraph 1(5) of Schedule 10 within the TMA 2004, in its definition of Special Enforcement Areas.

(5) In paragraph (4) a special enforcement area means an area designated as a special enforcement area by means of
    (a) an order made under paragraph 1(1) or 3(1) of Schedule 10 to the Traffic Management Act 2004 ; or
    (b) an order which, by virtue of paragraph 2(5) or 3(5) of that Schedule, has effect as if it were an order so made."

Since S.I. 2009/1116 does not include those councils within Greater London that were granted Special Parking Area status under the 1991 Act, it means that those councils do not qualify as being exempt from having to place traffic signs for the purpose of providing information to road users as to the effect of section 85 or 86 of the Traffic Management Act 2004 in their area.

As the prohibition was not signed and no exemption from placing traffic signs has been granted, I require you to cancel this penalty charge forthwith.

I had a look but I'm a bit confused by the argument here since Statutory Instrument 2009/1116 states "there is no requirement to place and maintain traffic signs to indicate the effect of sections 85 or 86 on roads in a special enforcement area".

It also states that "(5) In paragraph (4) a “special enforcement area” means an area designated as a special enforcement area by means of—

(a)an order made under paragraph 1(1) or 3(1) of Schedule 10 to the Traffic Management Act 2004(4); or

(b)an order which, by virtue of paragraph 1(5) or 3(5) of that Schedule, has effect as if it were an order so made."

Since it states 1(5) surely it applies or that this been amended?
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Their Dosent have to be any signs for blocking dropped kerbs! or Footpath Parking, or Obstruction. Think about it! every dropped kerb would need one!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure