How much does it cost to have a kitchen fitted (approximately)?

lawsofnature
lawsofnature Posts: 365 Forumite
Hi, I'm writing this for on behalf of my parents. They are looking at the replacing their kitchen (it's not huge, about 9 x 10 ft); basically they need the whole thing gutting i.e. new plastering, new flooring, new appliances, new plumbing for a washer-dryer and washing machine, new tiling/or splash-back surfaces put on the walls, and the actual kitchen cupboards/work surfaces replaced etc.

I am trying gauge opinion on how much it will cost to have a kitchen fitted based on three options:

1. They use somewhere like B&Q/Magnet/Wickes and get them to do the whole kitchen (I disapprove of this given what I've read on here and elsewhere).

2. They buy a kitchen themselves from somewhere like Howden (my Dad will probably be able to do this), and then get a kitchen fitter company/individual to do the whole thing.

3. Or again buy the kitchen, and then have different contractors in to do each job.

I want to get a general idea of how much it would cost to have the kitchen fitted, and/or how much it would cost to have the kitchen fitted including plumbing/electric jobs. Obviously, everyone's kitchen is individual and the cost will reflect this, but if anyone has recently had their kitchen fitted (or is a fitter/joiner), and could offer some approximate cost is would very much appreciated! :o

Obviously, my aim is just to ensure my parents don't get ripped off, but also that we can a good quality fitter at a fair price.

(I hope this is posted in the correct forum).

Comments

• lisal0u
    lisal0u Posts: 406 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi,
    we've just bought a kitchen from ikea, 8 base units, 2 floor to ceiling units and 2 wall cabinets. We chose White gloss doors and an oak worktop. It cost just under £3000 and I love it! Even the carpenter said it looked like a more expensive kitchen then it was! The kitchen also has a 25 year guarentee!

Ikea wanted £2200 to fit it ha ha ridiculous! We got a few quotes that all came back around the £600 mark! Took 5 days to install and no problems!

I couldn't tell you a price for the plumbing as we had it lumped in with other work and my Dad did the electrics!

Lisa
  • ncooper1974
    ncooper1974 Posts: 291 Forumite
    i recently bought a kitchen from homebase - bought it when they had a 15% sale on - and paid about £2300 for it. worktops, handles, sink, larder unit, 7 wall units and 5 base units.
    I paid a builder £2k to strip the old kitchen out - all units, tiled flooring, ceiling, everything. Then he replumbed the kitchen for me, moved a gas pipe, and put up a new ceiling and replastered and painted.
    Then got a fitter to fit it for about £450 - took 3 whole days.
    The only thing I did myself was build the units.
    Hope that helps
  • Kiran
    Kiran Posts: 1,368 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Wow, you got a very good rate for 5 days work, was it just one guy?

I definitely wouldn't go with getting one of the sheds to supply and fit, I'd ask a joiner for a supply and fit and a fit only price as you should then get an honest appraisal of any discounts they receive.
    Some people don't exaggerate........... They just remember big!
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    Last night I spent £1165 on 7 base units, 3 wall units and 3 tall units in Ikea. The worktop was £200 from B&Q, with flooring, tiles, extractor, integrated dishwasher and various other accessories its coming in around £2500.

My hubby is fitting it so no idea about those costs. Ikea was def the cheapest for the units that I wanted but their fitting prices are a joke (only looked to see how much we were saving DIY)
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • lisal0u
    lisal0u Posts: 406 Forumite
    Kiran wrote: »
    Wow, you got a very good rate for 5 days work, was it just one guy?QUOTE]

Hi,

Yes it was just one guy. He said it would take 4 days but it actually took a bit longer but he said he wasnt going to charge us any extra! He was really good too! We're having him back to hang some doors and fit architrave!
  • lawsofnature
    lawsofnature Posts: 365 Forumite
    Thanks for the info!

Has anyone else got any quotes/costs?

So far, there prices mentioned seem quite reasonable.
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    any large national company will charge approx 5k/10k for a kitchen. that will include about 2k for the fitters.
    dont waste your money.

the best route is to buy the units yourselves from say ikea/BQ/wickes. and get a local to fit them. locals around here charge about 500/1000 quid to fit a kitchen.

i know two local fitters who went 200 miles to Reading to do a kitchen (supply and fit) for 5k. (they stayed for 5 days).
    the customer had been quoted 25k by a national!
    Get some gorm.
  • premkit
    premkit Posts: 244 Forumite
    fitting charges can be as low as 500 up to 2k electrics are the big money drain in any kitchen.
    each unit £40 each appliance £60 oven, hob, ext, dish, sink, washer, dryer. sockets £50 there are other charges, moving plumbing, gas, cooker switches, and certification.
    get someone recomended and have either seen there work or the recomend is exceptional. i have put lots of kitchens right from so called fitters, some from the sheds or just left a shed, others are mates of mates. a good fitter is highly paid, but ask the people a with badly fitted kitchen, would it have been worth the extra few hundred for a good fitter.
  • useD
    useD Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 7 January 2010 at 10:33PM
    Hi guys, I'm an ex manager (made redundant) from the exhibition, point of sale and shopfitting trade and have started up on my own.
    I've recently fitted a kitchen for a family member which then lead onto being approached by 6 other people to fit theirs, alongside the company I'm trying to set up this is very welcome work.

Reason for the post is to let you know what I roughly charge and keep in mind I'm normally cheaper than your usual kitchen fitter and me and my lads are 'skilled' chippys rather than kitchen fitters which can be nothing more than glorified D.I.Y.'ers sometimes. I'm obviously getting more and more work due to the fact that we give a very high finish for a competitive price.

'Rough' price guides....

Fitter rates, this includes plumber and electrician: £100-150 a day
    But don't forget that it could be a 2 man job and plumber/electrician may be needed on ripout as well as installation. If you know your own plumber/electrician talk to them as they could save you money going direct.

Don't forget others costs involved like dismantle and disposal of old units (offer to do it yourself) assembly of new units (again if your able do it yourself as this could save you up to 2 days rate), travel costs, find someone local, plasterer and tiller (again use your own contact or DIY)

*Don't be afraid to ask what qualifications the fitter has and for references for 'all' workers who are planned to enter your house, ideally go for a skilled carpenter or long term fitter and be careful of those solo fitters that say they do 'everything' themselves (plumbing, electrics, plastering, tiling and joinery) because I don't know of anyone that is qualified in all areas! Also think about how long you expect your kitchen to last before you just go for the cheapest option as they could screw up your expensive units!*

Do your home work guys, these people will have access to your beloved home for at least a week and are in full control of the final finish of the kitchen so pick the right team rather than the best price, good luck and sorry for rambling!

useD
  • useD
    useD Posts: 6 Forumite
    I've now got an account with a trade kitchen company called Howdens, these seem very good and as a rule only supply to trade and builders altho if you find your local Howdens and go in and ask they will point you in the direction of their preferred fitter.

;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport