2»

Comments

• Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    ormus wrote: »
    i was waiting for this one,
    typical modern timber framed in the uk is not the same as an oz (or usa) wooden house.

Forestry commision used to build them in Scotland in the 60's and a few council houses were also built (probably same company as the FC ones). (I perhaps have made this up) but I always thought they were virtually unmortgageable in the UK.
  • DUKE
    DUKE Posts: 7,360
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    muckybutt wrote: »
    Where have you been living ormus ? the outer Hebrides ?
    There are loads of companies now that do timber frame buildings, which are either rendered - brick skinned or timber clad.

Considerably cheaper than brick, quicker to build, more eco friendly amongst the pro's.

I'm in a wooden house in the UK & I wouldn't be anywhere else.
  • jc808
    jc808 Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    DUKE wrote: »
    I'm in a wooden house in the UK & I wooden't be anywhere else.

Fixed for spelling :D
  • shegar
    shegar Posts: 1,978 Forumite
    muckybutt wrote: »
    There are loads of companies now that do timber frame buildings, which are either rendered - brick skinned or timber clad.

Considerably cheaper than brick, quicker to build, more eco friendly amongst the pro's.

Yep we are in a scandinavian timber framed bungalow with brick skinned, built in 1961, and it hold the heat exceptionally well,theres loads of homes built timber framed, alot more than anyone realise..............
  • AdmiralX
    AdmiralX Posts: 330 Forumite
    katycloud wrote: »
    We were originally set on buying a brick home, however there are lots of weatherboard and cedar wood houses in the area for sale which are also considerably cheaper. Pros cons? Any advice/experience would be greatly appreciated!

The wooden homes look lovely and you can paint them beautifully... but just one question: Did you check the insurance?
    "I'll be back."
  • muckybutt wrote: »

Timber houses probably more common in the outer Hebrides - too expensive to get bricks over on the ferries.

In fact, according to UK Timber Frame Association, Timber frame is the most popular form of house construction in Scotland, and UK-wide 22.2% market share of Timber Frame in New Housing.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • rustyboy21
    rustyboy21 Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    There is a bit of a difference in a UK timber property and an Australian one.

We have more consistent weather, with not a massive variable temperature and humidity levels. Australia is more marked.

My sister lives just outside Sydney, she has the Air con on full blast in their summer and a log stove blazing in the winter. She lives just away from one of the Forests and the humidity is shocking.

I wouldn't seek advice on here, get more knowledgeable people, who know what they are talking about, to give advice. Even try a site like poms on a plane, who seem to be ex pats living in Oz.
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    In Scotland I would have thought over 90% were and have been timber frame for years with brick, block, stone cladding.
  • 46% OF new housing stock built to 2009 was of timber frame construction in the UK (Ormus). Insulation and pest/mould restrictions are built in and overall insulation is above the standards set by NHBA and Euro legislation. I do not know about Oz, but why would they be made with less insulation????
    In the uSA (and yes I have travelled extensively there) the majority of homes that were built in the last 100 yrs were timber framed and clad. (Though cladding is now either PVCu or alloy).

1) Do they offer a warranty for timber framed 2) Check the insulation values, someone must have them. 3) As mentioned above, just how long will you be there. Even a wood house must have an expected lifspan.
    Good luck .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport