First Aid Allowance / Payment

I'm just about to undertake the First Aid at Work training, this means I will be responsible for all First Aid matters in my workplace.

I hear that there is an allowance or payment for First Aiders - does this vary depending whether it's private / public sector?

If you get the allowance, do you mind haring with me how much?

thanks in anticipation

Comments

• kitschkitty
    kitschkitty Posts: 3,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    When I did my last first aid course, there were people there from several companies both public and private sector. Some were paid to attend the course and paid an bonus for being a first aider, others (like me) got nothing from it apart from satisfaction (and it looks good on your CV)!

It varies so much from company to company I don't think there are any guidelines about it.
    A waist is a terrible thing to mind.
  • Catty212
    Catty212 Posts: 1,082 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    I think it's usually about £11 per month, well it is here. Thats for council's etc
    Fantastic Expectations Amazing Revelations
  • livelyred
    livelyred Posts: 2,367 Forumite
    I was a first aider in my job Assistant Cook in a primary school i got about £111.00 a yr for being a first aider in my dept.
    Won 2010: Butlins 5 day Break and £250, 1 yr Virgin Active membership, Meal for 10 at Best Parties Ever, skyline 2011 dvd.

Surveys Tescos Home Panel,Boots,cint sample,Unex Royal Mail,Crowdolody,Valued opinions,Ayton,Buzz,Ayton,Consumer Pulse,Royal Mail Posting, pigsback.
  • frugallass
    frugallass Posts: 2,320 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I'll speak to the training instructor on Monday

thanks guys
  • Unless your trainer is in-house, chances are that they won't be able to tell you one way or the other; it will depend on and is up to your employer - I don't think there is any kind of rule.

I used to be a First Aider. It was a food factory and a major global company - those in the manufacturing centres got an amount bi-annually, totalling about £150 pa - I worked in development and got sweet f.a. - not even the box of chocolates we were promised at every meeting for three years.

Oh - and the worst I ever had to deal with on-site was a trapped finger. In the real world though, it gave me the courage to deal virtually single-handedly with a major car accident involving four horses. So, worth having in my book.

(Re. the accident - no serious human injuries but one dead horse.)
    Blonde: Unemployed: Bankrupt.
    What do I know?
    :confused:
  • frugallass
    frugallass Posts: 2,320 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Yeah I did the training a few years back but let it lapse

I know the trainer won't be able to tell me about my employer but may be able to advise whether it's a common thing - I work for a charity but our terms and conditions are based on those offered by the city council (who do offer a first aid allowance) so it's looking positive at the moment :cool:
  • poppy_f1
    poppy_f1 Posts: 2,637 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    in our work theres no extra pay for first aiders
  • purple12
    purple12 Posts: 304 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    When I worked for a charity, I didn't get paid any extra for being the 'first aider' but felt it was a useful course to have done in any case.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure