Phone number for your pc - FREE incoming calls!

Comments

• Did you select Germany for your country when signing up? It would seem so *claps*

hehe ;)
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
    - Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
    [/FONT]
  • Phonix
    Phonix Posts: 837 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Originally Posted by Rockee
    As a person who is trying to get his head round VOIP. If you register with sipgate, can you call skype members for free or are these 2 slighty different systems (competitors)?

No. Skype uses a messenger system so you call a user name, not an ID.

Sipgate uses User Identification Keys, thus you can not call free between them as far as I am aware.

As for the phone number thing, at the option screen to configure your account, click "change phone number" and your given the option of area code, 0870 or 0845.

Everyone else had

The reason you can't call Skype numbers using sipgate is because SIPgate uses the SIP protocol. Skype is propriatory, so if sipgate wished to use it they would have to pay skype a fee, whereas the SIP protocol is open so most VoIP users use it.

I believe iax is another protocol, is open, and used by many places on the web. SIP is supposed to be good because of its simplicity and this is one of the main reasons it's widely used over other opensource options.

There are many SIP providers out there, those that you can ring using sipgate are listed on this page.

I'd advise you to use either Voipbuster to make outgoing calls and SIPgate to recieve them. This is because it's free to ring most landlines using VoIPbuster whereas if you ring these numbers using SIpgate there is a penny/minute charge.

If you're really serious about it, it may be worth investing in a VoIP, I've made a thread about this, pleas ego search for it as the site is slow and I can barely even make this post.

Lastly to set this up properly, just add voipbuster as another proxy in the xten configeration menu.

the settings are

proxy: sip.voipbuster.com
    Outgoing proxy : fwdnat.pulver.com:5082

and select this as default proxy when you wish to make out going calls.
  • Do you still need to sign up to use those proxy settings etc :/
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
    [/FONT]
  • Just tried it out. downloaded voipbuster and signed up. Its amazing :D

I now have a phone number for my pc local rate and i can call home phone numbers for free :)

Can i link the 2 so 1471 or caller id shows my sipgate number when i call from voipbuster? lol
    [/FONT]
  • Also just found out limited to one minute per call.. not so great
    [/FONT]
  • Phonix
    Also just found out limited to one minute per call.. not so great

Once you add one euro credit, each call you make will be unlimited, however you will need to have money in your account in order to make the unlimited free calls.

The one minute rule has been put in place so the system doesn't get abused :)

Calls are unlimited as long as you have money in your account however you will have to pay Swiss VAT on your deposit.

Another alternative is https://www.voipcheap.co.uk however this is the same company https://www.finarea.se I believe
    Can i link the 2 so 1471 or caller id shows my sipgate number when i call from voipbuster? lol

seems very unlikely. I use a sipgate adapter that has two telephone ports so I can recieve on one phone and make calls on the other without having to switch the phone around.

You can pick up a sipura 2000 off ebay for £49
  • so if i put 1 Euro from my credit card on the program i get unlimited free calls to landlines in the uk? And that 1 euro will never disappear?
    [/FONT]
  • Phonix
    Yes.

Unless you start making chargeable calls, like calls to mobiles etc then your credit will disappear but you'll just have to put more money in. As long as there is money in your account you can make the unlimited free calls.
  • Phonix
    http://www.callunion.com/files/SPA-2000.pdf

that's the SPA 2000

search for it on ebay.
  • pricefighter
    pricefighter Posts: 2,829 Forumite
    rizla01 wrote:
    Why not come back and tell us what number you got (If it's a good one) without the area code

I wanted a Sussex no for business reasons. I managed to get
    01444 XXX222.

Thanks for the tip!!!
    PF.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business