• newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Just checked Aer Lingus:
    Help Inquiry

Help Inquiry/ Travel Documentation and Boarding Policies/ Photo ID/
    Photo ID

Travel between Ireland and the United Kingdom and Domestic UK travel

While passports are not required for travel within Ireland, within the UK, and between Ireland and the UK, you are required to carry a valid photo ID. ....

Aer Lingus may ask you to present valid Photo ID at check in or at the boarding gate for all flights. Failure to do so may result in refusal to travel.
    So looks like Aer Lingus may be an answer as I have a current photo driving licence :o
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • milla
    milla Posts: 298 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Ryanair website : -

For British and Irish citizens who are travelling on flights to/from the United Kingdom to/from the Republic of Ireland (Common Travel Area), a valid driving licence with photo is acceptable photo ID. Passengers who are citizens of other countries travelling on these routes must present a valid passport (with visa if applicable) or a National Identity Card issued by the government of a European Economic Area (EEA) country.

:0 )
    Without the rain you wouldn't have the rainbows !

I came into this world with nothing and I've still got most of it left!
  • If you travel by ferry, ID requirements are far more "relaxed" in that you need to prove your identity and nationality if requested. Sometimes, even without a driving licence or passport, you would be able to convince someone as to your identity. However, if you travel by air, you will virtually never be able to travel without a valid driving licence or passport between UK and Republic of Ireland.

So long as you present your valid driving licence and your expired passport too (in the same name), I cannot see you being refused a seat on a plane or carriage on a ferry. You can even take your full birth certificate, bank statements to tie your name with your place of residence... you really should be fine.
  • newlywed
    So long as you present your valid driving licence and your expired passport too (in the same name), I cannot see you being refused a seat on a plane or carriage on a ferry. You can even take your full birth certificate, bank statements to tie your name with your place of residence... you really should be fine.

Thanks expired passport is not in the same name as everything else. Thats why I can't use the one day passport service. Everything else I have is in my married name (didn't see much point renewing my passport until I could afford a holiday :rolleyes:)

Extra ID on top of my driving licence is probably a good idea though, thanks.
  • ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I've flown to Ireland several times with Ryanair only using my photo driving licence as ID and never had a problem. The last time was just a few months ago so unless they've changed T&C since then you should be ok.
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • newlywed
    Thanks Chameleon. Good to hear confirmation from someone who has actually flown this way recently. Cheers.
  • piquet_D
    piquet_D Posts: 23 Forumite
    I've flown to Ireland several times with Ryanair only using my photo driving licence as ID and never had a problem. The last time was just a few months ago so unless they've changed T&C since then you should be ok.

agree with this as have done the same several times. i used to work as a travel agent and the official advice we were given was that a pax must turn up with 'definitive' photo ID -for example a passport/drivers licence/armed forces ID. so as long as you don't turn up flashing a student union card you've nothing to worry about...:D
    almost glimpsing the light at the end of the debt tunnel...:j
  • Saint_Chris
    Saint_Chris Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    i couldn't get to dublin last week from liverpool, flying with ryanair, i tried to use my photo driving licence but couldn't get on.

luckly i had my passport,
  • Hi,

You can use a driving lience with photo but I wouldd advise using the smaller airports not heathrow as they will be more strict there .... although I don't recomend this my grandmother was allowed to fly from Shannon (I think it was air lingus but am not 100% sure) to UK last Xmas using her library card !!! She couldn't find her passpost in her luggage and they let her on the plane !!!!

xx
  • milla
    milla Posts: 298 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    and just to make things even more confusing !

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7059580.stm

: )
    Without the rain you wouldn't have the rainbows !

I came into this world with nothing and I've still got most of it left!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure