Bike hire at Center parcs

We are travelling to Whinfell April 19th Monday to Friday, there will be 8 of us going and we have managed to buy a bike carrier to take 3 kids bikes, I now have to decide if to hire in advance another 5 bikes, I remember reading somewhere that bikes get dumped everywhere on Fridays and Mondays, is this true? is it worth hiring bikes in advance or will there be dumped bikes around to use during our stay? Thanks

Comments

• sams247
    sams247 Posts: 1,112 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    several people on here have said they find stray bikes around the site but to be honest we have never found a single one! So maybe it's pot luck.

Unless we needed a special bike (i.e. adisabled bike or a three wheeler) we have just turned up and hired bikes - they have not run out, but again other people may have a different story to tell.
      To those who are given much, much is expected
    1. theonlywayisup
      theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
      Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
      We came back last weekend from Longleat. Never saw a single abandoned bike. The guys at the hire were using a barcode scanner to hire them out to us and again zapped them as we handed them back.
    2. Many thanks guys, wasn't sure if to hire in advance, I phoned Center Parcs up last week to see if we could get a closer lodge due to my disabled nephew, but they said that central and middle areas were fully booked, so I'm expecting it to be really busy there that week.

I am going to book Flying Start Package – From £59.00
      • Early check-in and access to your accommodation
      • 2x adult bike rental
      • A great range of food and beverages to make your stay more comfortable:
      And hopefully be able to hire the other bikes on the day. :beer:
    3. theonlywayisup
      Many thanks guys, wasn't sure if to hire in advance, I phoned Center Parcs up last week to see if we could get a closer lodge due to my disabled nephew, but they said that central and middle areas were fully booked, so I'm expecting it to be really busy there that week.

I am going to book Flying Start Package – From £59.00
      • Early check-in and access to your accommodation
      • 2x adult bike rental
      • A great range of food and beverages to make your stay more comfortable:
      And hopefully be able to hire the other bikes on the day. :beer:

We did this. Ours was £79 I guess they are different prices at differing times.

We got the voucher at check-in for the bike hire, which was easy. We managed to get into our villa at 1pm and the OH went and got the car. They direct you (at Longleat) through the no entry rather than via the barriers.

Nice bag of food goodies too!
    4. Ms_Chocaholic
      Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,595 Forumite
      Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
      When we last visited Centerparcs a few years ago though, I thought that if a member of your family were disabled then you were able to leave your car on site. If this is still the case, could you still use that for transport and/or hire less bikes and share them.
      Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
      You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    5. When we last visited Centerparcs a few years ago though, I thought that if a member of your family were disabled then you were able to leave your car on site. If this is still the case, could you still use that for transport and/or hire less bikes and share them.

I had hoped we could leave our car on site because we have a member of our family disabled with blue badge (not in a wheelchair but can't walk far) and a Down syndrome nephew who can’t ride a bike, but we don’t want to leave my nephew out so will hire a three wheeler or a tagalong and hope he can join in with us, I know we can hire a trailer to go at the back of a bike but my 10 year old nephew weights a ton and none of us are prepared to pull him along!

I left it until 3 months beforehand to designate a lodge thinking this was plenty of time, big mistake! we are right on the border of middle to outer edge, and what is more annoying is that I didn’t know it was free to designate a lodge for a family with disabled guests (I assume this is why they didn’t charge us the £30?) otherwise I would have designated a lodge back in April 2009 when I booked our break!
    6. apples1
      apples1 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
      Centre Parcs have a people mover/ van with seats on site that you can call to drive you from A to B at anytime if you have a disabled person in your party. They do not advertise the fact but they are very happy for you to do so. We went away with a close friend who had a brain tumor. He was fine during most of the holiday but had a fall and we called the on site doctor on the first morning. The staff that came told us about the shuttle and we used it a few times when we needed to get a fair way. We even went out for dinner and they drove us all back to our lodge.

Enjoy your holiday.
      MTC NMP Membership #62 - made it back to size 12 after my children & I'm staying here!
    7. theonlywayisup
      AFAIK if you have a disabled person with you, CP only realise this when you book a disabled lodge. However, you could try ringing and explaining re your party and see if they can move you. Most people don't know their lodge numbers until they arrive, we were once moved to a disabled lodge (asked if we would mind as another party had added a child?) and it was huge, had a walk in wet-room type bathroom, with seat in the shower, wide walkways and doorways etc. All the mod cons you need with disabled persons. And we had a designated parking spot outside the lodge, but obviously didn't use it.
    This discussion has been closed.
    Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
    • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
    • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
    • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
    • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
    • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
    • 173K Life & Family
    • 247.8K Travel & Transport
    • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure