PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Nasty Nasty Smelling Clothes

Hi hope this is the right place, but you guys on old style are always so helpful anyway...
our washing machine door was stuck closed since thursday..we finally got it to open by doing another rinse cycle, but the washing smells truly rank..i have tried washing it again with liberal amounts of powder, but the smell hasn't gone at all
to add to our problems our machine is so old that the only cycle that works is 40 degrees and i'm sure it will take a higher temperature to kill the bacteria.
i'm worried about soaking the clothes again in case they fall apart or something...
anything i can try?
Membre Of Teh Misspleing Culb

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I've done that. More as in forgetting there was some in there to take out. For days! Rewashing just doesn't do the job. BUT. Pour a good dollop of febreeze in (not at the very start of filling 'cos the first water is used to fill your pipes up and gets nowhere near your washing) but during the fill when you can see there's some water in the tub. On it's own. Then do a normal wash after that.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • greenlogo
    greenlogo Posts: 231 Forumite
    eww, that's not fun at all starlite - I take it the clothes smell mildewy?

I've not had any that smell really bad of mildew, but the clothes I had in storage for 9 months were a wee bit fusty and my saviour was..... vinegar.

I ran them through a wash with vinegar in every bit of the machine (pre wash, powder and conditioner) then ran them through another wash with the usual washing powder and vinegar rinse and they came out smelling of nothing at all.

The vinegar should kill any nasties (I know it's supposed to for icky feet... must be a similar pinciple?) and stop them making smell.

Good Luck!
    Pre O/S: what's a vitamin? Does it begin with the letter e?Now: I'm not eating any of that pre-made rubbish...
  • starlite_2
    starlite_2 Posts: 2,428 Forumite
    they smell not so much mildewy..more like wet dog amplified five thousand times..he he
    will either of these ideas work given i can only wash at 40 degrees?
    i considered soaking them in the bath with boiling water and detergent, but i've done washing in the bath when the machine packed up before, and they took over a week to dry (it being summer i can't put them on radiators..and we have no washing line!)
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I have had clothes that smell like that, but a 40 wash with a decent amount of washing powder/liquid and fabric conditioner ususally does the trick. Try to do 2 smaller loads instead of 1 big one.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • greenlogo
    greenlogo Posts: 231 Forumite
    I've only ever washed at 40 or cooler and I know the vinegar works as an anti-bacterial agent even when it's cold, the chemistry suggests that it should work anyway...
    Pre O/S: what's a vitamin? Does it begin with the letter e?Now: I'm not eating any of that pre-made rubbish...
  • starlite_2
    well..i will give it a go..in two smaller loads with the vinegar, as I don't have any febreeze..
    will rice vinegar do the job?
  • starlite_2
    just got them out, having rinsed with rice vinegar and then with normal detergent (though that is fragrance free hypoallergenic stuff so wouldnt have made a difference)
    and they are defintily better..but not quite fresh..
    maybe another go...
  • terriermama
    terriermama Posts: 162 Forumite
    Maybe you can try running through with detergent and bleach on an empty cycle to get that rank smell out of the machine. Hope it helps.
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Yes, the smell might be in the machine and transferring to the clothes.

Run a normal wash with nothing in the machine to clean it out.

Has hanging them on the line to dry helped?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • starlite_2
    i have sorted them out by doing two smaller loads with vinegar, then detregent twice..
    unfortunately we don't have a washing line
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family