We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Mortar Bees

OK - I have loads of little flying bee things around the brickwork at the back of the house. They vaguely look like honey bees, but they're not. I've phoned OH and he says, based on their behaviour, that they are mortar bees. They are entering through the small rectangular plasticy vent things in between the bricks. I've seen quite a few go in, in one particular place, and a few come back out. At any one time there are around a dozen or so out there. They seem to be centred around the kitchen windows and my little boys window.

Is there anything I can do to dissuade them from coming near the house? The house is HA owned so I shall call them Monday and see what they can do to sort them out. I have learnt, from the fountain of knowledge that is google, that they have no sting, but I still don't like them lol.

Any ideas, please?

ETA - Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I thought you lovely people here may be the best to ask on this subject.
"A cat can have kittens in the oven, but that don't make them biscuits." - Mary Cooper
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful" - William Morris
Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

Comments

• dave0000
    dave0000 Posts: 63 Forumite
    you could cover the hole with a fine net or some stockings so they cant get in or out and after a few days or weeks they will go and make a new hive some were else
  • pollyskettle
    pollyskettle Posts: 2,163 Forumite
    Thanks for your reply, Dave, I may well give that a go after dark when they're not flying around!

I did think of trying to build them another home as I want to encourage bees into the garden as I'm growing veg this year, I just don't want them destroying my house. Any ideas on what I could throw together to encourage them to nest in?
    "A cat can have kittens in the oven, but that don't make them biscuits." - Mary Cooper
    "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful" - William Morris
  • alemap20
    alemap20 Posts: 12 Forumite
    I have them in my garden wall and can't get rid of them, for the last 4 years they have come and burrow into the soil, when its warm weather they are all crawling around on top of the soil and i hate anything like that. Someone said they are called mining bees and apparantly don't sting but i still would like to get rid of them.

pam
  • pollyskettle
    4 years :eek: My house is a new-build by Persimmon so it won't hold up to 4 years of Mortar Bees :rotfl:
  • dave0000
    dave0000 Posts: 63 Forumite
    Any ideas on what I could throw together to encourage them to nest in?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/animals/wildbritain/gardenwildlife/myspace/content.shtml?28
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Oh !!!!!!!!

Half the bloody population is putting up bee houses to try and save these endangered NON STINGING bees and you lot want to get rid of them.

They are called mason bees.

They are lovely and they brighten up my day when I see them nest in my house.

Tbh I haven't been so worked up for ages, it's not even your house pollyskettle, you said it was owned by the HA

I'm going to cool down, please feel free to call me as many names as you like.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • pollyskettle
    edited 18 April 2009 at 5:33PM
    Not going to call you anything, LE, I'm looking at things to encourage them elsewhere rather than massacre them as I need bees in the garden for my veggies, I just don't particularly want them in the cavity of my house (as in I live there, not that I own it).

Perhaps you wouldn't have got yourself so worked up had you read this bit:
    I did think of trying to build them another home as I want to encourage bees into the garden as I'm growing veg this year, I just don't want them destroying my house. Any ideas on what I could throw together to encourage them to nest in?

ETA - I do apologise if I have upset you by posting this. As I said I am trying to dissuade them, not kill them. If I can't dissuade them we shall all have to live together in perfect harmony. I do appreciate their value, I just don't like them flying round my doors and windows. I am duty bound to call the HA about them, though. It is their house and they can do damage, so I believe.
  • marshall2k
    marshall2k Posts: 206 Forumite
    Now everyone's got a bee in their bonnet
    Do Something Amazing - Give Blood

• pollyskettle
    marshall2k wrote: »
    Now everyone's got a bee in their bonnet

*groan* :D
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Sorry, dont see what the problem is? except that you have some soft pointing that needs re doing before next winter

http://www.northumberland.gov.uk/docs/Mortar%20beesA4.doc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport