Grants for new boiler

Options
Im trying to find info for someone regarding grants for a new boiler, anyone had any experiences about the grants
threadbanner.gif
No Links in Signature by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2

Comments

• cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This sites may be of interest to you

http://www.eagagroup.com/grants/index.htm

https://www.energyefficiency.powergen.co.uk/advicecentre/category6/WarmFront.htm

I had loft insulation & cavity wall insulation done under the warmfront scheme quite recently.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    Hi cattie

I applied for this last week - phoned the number given after reading about it in the local paper. We're over 60 but not on any means-tested benefits but the criteria include any disability-related benefit, and I'm on Attendance Allowance, which qualifies me. I had a letter on Saturday saying that an assessor would be in touch within 4 - 6 weeks - he actually phoned at 6 pm Sunday and is coming tomorrow mid-morning to assess what we need and what they can offer. Because of my AA we're apparently entitled to £2,700 to upgrade our heating system!!

As our monthly gas bills went from £28 for all of last year, to £35 in May, then to £64 from this month (due to the cost of gas on the wholesale market) we are keen to ensure our system is as up-to-date and as efficient as possible!

The phone no is 0800 316 2808.

Margaret Clare
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • C_Ronaldo
    C_Ronaldo Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ill pass them on, thankyou, its not deffinate yet that she will need a new one, well no she will need a new one but as to when that will be we dont know, it depends if the gas engineer can get the part if not then she will need a new boiler
    No Links in Signature by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • margaretclare
    Options
    C_Ronaldo wrote:
    ill pass them on, thankyou, its not deffinate yet that she will need a new one, well no she will need a new one but as to when that will be we dont know, it depends if the gas engineer can get the part if not then she will need a new boiler

Bear in mind that there are criteria - she needs to be on some form of means-tested or disability benefit.

'If the gas engineer can get the part'.....this sounds as if the boiler is a bit ancient? In that case it may not be working very efficiently (ours isn't, it's 14 years old) and it might be as well to apply for a WarmFront grant - fuel efficiency is important what with the escalating cost of gas, as well as the effects on the environment.

Margaret Clare
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
  • lilac_lady
    lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    Options
    Do you need to be claiming a benefit to get a central heating grant in Scotland if you're an OAP? My aunt doesn't claim anything because of a small private pension but can't afford a new system. The one she has is 35 years old and won't last much longer.
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It would appear that you need to be claiming some benefits, I'll move your post over to the Silver Savers Board where there is a current thread on these grants :)
  • margaretclare
    Options
    lilac_lady wrote:
    Do you need to be claiming a benefit to get a central heating grant in Scotland if you're an OAP? My aunt doesn't claim anything because of a small private pension but can't afford a new system. The one she has is 35 years old and won't last much longer.

Is your aunt on any disability benefit i.e. attendance allowance? If so she would qualify. I didn't think we would qualify for the WarmFront grant because we're not on pension credit (income too high) but I get Attendance Allowance and that qualifies.

Margaret Clare
  • margaretclare
    Options
    I have had Loft insulation and cavity wall insulation through a goverment grant scheme call THE Total Home Effiency 0845 063 5000 you do need to be on a qualifying benefit but they do deal with council and housing !!! propertys has saved me money on my fuel bill

Yes, we had the assessor round on Monday - apparently they're not too busy at the moment so don't wait until winter!!

We can't have cavity-wall insulation because this 1930s property has single-thickness brick walls - there's no cavity. The next step is going to be a visit from a heating engineer to see whether our system needs completely replacing or just repair and upgrade. We're getting a new jacket for the hot water tank and that will make a big difference. As we're now paying £30 a month more for gas than we were this time last year, any improvement has got to be good for us as well as good for the planet.

Margaret Clare
  • lilac_lady
    lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    Options
    My aunt isn't on any benefits - she hasn't claimed anything. Does this mean that it's eventually a doctor's decision whether or not OAPs get new heating systems?
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• margaretclare
    Options
    lilac_lady wrote:
    My aunt isn't on any benefits - she hasn't claimed anything. Does this mean that it's eventually a doctor's decision whether or not OAPs get new heating systems?

No. But to qualify for these grants - £2,700 in this case - there have to be some criteria. You have to be either eligible for one of the means-tested benefits OR one of the disability benefits. That seems fair enough to me. There have to be some kind of lines drawn.

Anyone who doesn't get either a means-tested benefit or a disability-related benefit can get a new heating system, of course they can. They just pay for it. Like we paid for our new roof a few weeks ago, cost £3,500, whereas if we'd been on pension credit we could have had it done for free.

Margaret Clare
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport