Boost Your Tesco Clubcard Points Discussion

Comments

• yenners
    yenners Posts: 341 Forumite
    They often do great Clubcard points offers with the dvdrental service. I bought a 3 month 1-disc package just before christmas and got 750 free cc points!

And Joscar is right about joining their clubs - i am in their wine club and healthy living club and often get double cc points coupons in their mailings, and also extra points when i but certain products.
    Not buying clothes for a year - it's liberating!
  • highguyuk
    highguyuk Posts: 2,763
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Just a bit of advice from me.

Just because Tescos offer points, it doesn't mean they are the cheapest. And even when you use the points for "Deals", it might have worked out cheaper for you to buy from another place.

e.g., Tesco Breakdown cover is (I believe) around £60 for 1 car for a comprehensive cover. AutoAid is only £32.

Getting points is great, I try to do it often, but make sure its the cheapest option ;)
  • CGG
    CGG Posts: 746 Forumite
    compmad1 wrote:
    I have got several Tesco receipts for electical items. Do I have to take these receipts to customer services to get the points put on?

I believe you have a month from the date at the bottom of the receipt to claim the Clubcard points.
  • Joscar
    Joscar Posts: 139 Forumite
    highguyuk wrote:
    Just a bit of advice from me.

Just because Tescos offer points, it doesn't mean they are the cheapest. And even when you use the points for "Deals", it might have worked out cheaper for you to buy from another place.

e.g., Tesco Breakdown cover is (I believe) around £60 for 1 car for a comprehensive cover. AutoAid is only £32.

Getting points is great, I try to do it often, but make sure its the cheapest option ;)

Thanks Highguyuk,
    What is covered in the £32 auto aid cover ? ie is it roadside, recovery and onward travel? Do you think they would be cheaper without the onward travel?

I need the equivalent of roadside & recovery for 2 people in any car. Tesco deals do this for £30.75 in vouchers.
    HOW MUCH CAN YOU SAVE?: OLYMPIC CHALLENGE 2007
    BRONZE 10% SILVER 25% GOLD 50% PLATINUM 75%
    January 7%
    February 13%
    March 20%
    April 27%
    May 32%
    June 39%
    July 45%
    August 54%
    September 62%
    October 68%
  • Hi Guys

I LOVE Tesco points! I have Pet Insurance, Powergen, Clubcard plus Credit Card! Oops forgot Tesco Phone. I generally get around £50 of vouchers each quarter which in Deals is £200!

I used them to pay £500 toward disney Paris last year with Cresta.
    I bought a bed for my daughter from MFI. Trips to Legoland, Chessington etc Meals out at Pasta Italia .... the list goes on. Without Tesco I could not have afforded to do any of the above.
  • highguyuk
    highguyuk Posts: 2,763
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Joscar wrote:
    Thanks Highguyuk,
    What is covered in the £32 auto aid cover ? ie is it roadside, recovery and onward travel? Do you think they would be cheaper without the onward travel?

I need the equivalent of roadside & recovery for 2 people in any car. Tesco deals do this for £30.75 in vouchers.

Martin has an article on the issue where you will be able to find all the information you need:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?newsid1094823518,14076,

AutoAid don't have a website to look on though unfortunetly.

Even if AutoAid works out £1.25 more, you could then use your vouchers to save money elsewhere ...
  • newnhak
    newnhak Posts: 485
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    highguyuk wrote:

Highguyuk

Although I agree with you up to a point I also believe that as my points were received as a result of buying my normal shopping and I would shop at Tesco's anyway with or without points then the points are a bonus. Then anything I buy from Clubcard deals is in effect free. If I was buying things only to accrue points then it would be different - I would have to factor in the cost of the item as well.

Because of this I went for the RAC breakdown cover as I didn't actually have to shell out any cash.

I suppose if you were really disciplined and had lots of time then the best thing to do is to only buy the items that were cheapest in Tesco's to accrue points whilst making sure you have utilised all bonus vouchers and buy other items (eg fruit and veg) somewhere else, as what you are gaining in points may not actually be worth the extra money spent.

Karen
  • pbfhpunk
    pbfhpunk Posts: 223 Forumite
    CGG wrote:
    I believe you have a month from the date at the bottom of the receipt to claim the Clubcard points.

We found a stack of old receipts in our car the other day from upto a year ago and I called Tesco yesterday to find out how long they're valid for to claim the points, she said 4 weeks instore or if you send them to the address below along with your clubcard number then they'll put them on for you.
    Tesco Clubcards
    FREEPOST
    SCO 5043
    Dundee
    DD2 9XU

Which is good new for everyone as we've all nipped in without our card and left the receipts floating around meaning to put them on next time we go it and just forget!!
    Hell yeah!!
  • pbfhpunk wrote:
    We found a stack of old receipts in our car the other day from upto a year ago and I called Tesco yesterday to find out how long they're valid for to claim the points, she said 4 weeks instore or if you send them to the address below along with your clubcard number then they'll put them on for you.

Thanks so much for this post, before I got into MSE I'd been putting all our receipts on a spike so I'd know how much we were spending but I wasn't bothering to collect the points.

Now I've been re-educated and will be sending off my receipts!!!!

Once again pbfhpunk, many thanks for this gem of information!!!
  • jennyjelly
    jennyjelly Posts: 1,708
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    I love clubcard points but in my experience Tesco is not the cheapest supermarket and so I am a confirmed Asda girl.

My points nearly all come from my credit card. I have a Tesco mastercard and use it for absolutely everything so I get basic points on everything I buy wherever I buy it. I have a direct debit set up to clear the card in full every month, so I'm in no danger of paying any interest.

One thing I find particularly satisfying is shopping in a Nectar card place and paying with my Tesco credit card, so I feel I'm getting the best of both worlds. Also it means I don't have to feel guilty about having a big gooey expensive pud at the Brewer's Fayre (or that's what I tell my husband anyway!);)
    Oh dear, here we go again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport