PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Any suggestions for removing Irn Bru stain ....

Comments

• gunsandbanjos
    gunsandbanjos Posts: 12,246
    PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    It was the same with my colleague when their daughter spilt irn bru. They were told by the insurance company that it was the one stain that they could not get out of carpets.

That and lily pollen.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi skintscotslass,

Like the others I don't hold out much hope, but there are some ideas on this thread that may be worth trying:

Any suggestions for removing Irn Bru stain ....

Pink
  • skintscotslass
    skintscotslass Posts: 2,860
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks folks. I was thinking the worst but hoping for the best. I've always taken the 'don't have it in the house' approach.

I'll give my trusty stardrops a go. The good news for me is that the carpet is not that unlike the colour of irn bru (not my choice!)

Cheers

SSL xx
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Did it turn a brown colour? I only ask as a friend had a similar mishap with Orangeina and she never could get the stain out. It's a cautionary tale. I guess the only way round it is to have it in those plastic cups with the pop up spout to avoid spills?

No help I know, but we tried every stain remover known to man.
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• david39
    david39 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    Why not contact the Irn Bru makers and ask them if they can suggest something?

A.G.Barr p.l.c., Westfield House, 4 Mollins Road, Westfield, Cumbernauld, G68 9HD
  • skintscotslass
    Forumite
    larmy16 wrote: »
    Did it turn a brown colour? I only ask as a friend had a similar mishap with Orangeina and she never could get the stain out. It's a cautionary tale. I guess the only way round it is to have it in those plastic cups with the pop up spout to avoid spills?

No help I know, but we tried every stain remover known to man.

That makes sense, I bet they have the same additives/colouring.

I dont touch the stuff. I stupidly allowed DD to have a party. The LR was out of bounds, but a couple of her friends went in and spilled the irn bru and a red/pink bacardi breezer. The pink/red came out but the irn bru hasnt budged a bit. I've never seen a stain like it. Lesson learned :o

David39 - Barrs claim that a cleaner does shift it, I cant remember what its called, but looking at my internet research, thats not any good either. Thanks for the thought :)
  • Irn Bru !! Blast from the past !
    I didn't think you could still get the stuff !
    There used to be a place in Atherton that made it but I think its now a housing estate !
    It was the only thing guaranteed to cure a hangover !
    I remember something on the news years ago about someone in Scotland trying to sue them because it turned their kid orange !
    No chance for your carpet !!!
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    Forumite
    Have you tried dry foam carpet shampoo it says on the JML one that it will get cola and red wine stains out - so might work on iron bru and as an added bonus - Wilkinsons are selling it half price which is £2.50 for the applicator and a bottle of dry foam - I bought one today.
    Bargain!
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • I think you may be stuck with an attractive orange patch... maybe just spill irn bru all over the rest of the carpet to dye it all the same colour as the stain? Lol.

At my secondary school, in the science labs we had specially treated desks, so any acids or alkalis or anything potent could be spilled on them without them having any effect, our biology teacher was delighted with them and would show off with chemicals - until he got a letter one day from the company about 6 months after they were bought, saying don't get Irn Bru on them as it eats away at the bench! It hasn't stopped me drinking the stuff, but I do think twice before subjecting my stomach to it....
  • skintscotslass
    Forumite
    ...saying don't get Irn Bru on them as it eats away at the bench! It hasn't stopped me drinking the stuff, but I do think twice before subjecting my stomach to it....

OMG!!! :eek::eek::eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport