Great What/What Not to Buy at Lidl, Aldi and Netto Hunt

Comments

• goblin
    goblin Posts: 20
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Don't laugh ... but I like the baked beans. My son, however, is a bb aficionado and hates them.
    I used their liquid wash gel tabs for coloured wash and it took loadsa colour out of my flippin' clothes!

things that are ok:
    cottage cheese (rich, creamy and cheap)
    cartons of grapefruit juice
    chopped tinned tomatoes
    mushy peas
    free range eggs
    I agree - their free flow frozen minced beef is excellent steak quality

things to avoid:

the wash gel tabs as above
    toilet cleaner - thin and useless
  • DVin
    DVin Posts: 10 Forumite
    Aldi

buy - orange juice, wine gums, wine
    dont buy - fruit or spagetti in a tin

lidl
    buy - chocolate, bottled water, body spray
    dont buy - fruit and veg, lemonade
  • Lidle
    Buy:
    Smoked Salmon (lovely and thick and a real bargain)
    olives
    fruit juice
    nuts- esp cashew nuts
    wine- most of the £4-£5 bottles are very very good.
    cheeses

Avoid
    tined tuna salad (my fault i guess- tinned salad!!! it was like cat food)
    fruit and veg- some has mould on it in store
    fresh herb plants- brought flies into my kitchen!
  • Buy baked beans from Netto - better than heinz

Don't buy baked beans from Lidl - They are the worst thing on this earth!

You can say that again......and again
  • I's 2nd this the olive oil is fantastric and very cheap compared with main supermarkets, i stock up on about 5 bottles at a time...
    zaziep wrote:
    Lidle Olive oil is excellent - a friend who runs a restaurant uses it all the time. We also buy the juices, meat, yoghurt and cheese regularly. Kitchen roll and toilet rolls are good value. Look at the wines - some are very good - eg Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon!
  • 1connect
    1connect Posts: 82 Forumite
    What to buy
    Lidl: vegetables & fruit , most products are excellent usually the best of the 3 bargain basement supermarkets,
    Aldi second best, but still good.

What NOT to buy.
    right this applies to all 3 supermarkets... bear with me ... this requires explanation...do not buy goods with trans fatty acids added, you can tell by looking for Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil on the label - AVOID LIKE THE PLAUGE

Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil increases bad cholesterol and decreases good cholesterol it is the favourite cheap "filler" compound for food producers, because its CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP and makes things more creamy and improves shelf life , however there is mounting evidence that this stuff is terrible for you, think of good fats as the consistency of engine oil, think of trans fats as candle wax, trans fats clog and block things up, the body cannot deal with them very well or very quickly, the point I make here is that low quality foods containing TFA are cheaper to produce but not good for you , therefore I make the following recommendation - go to Lidl and buy products without HVO cos they seem to have a much wider selection of foods that are not tainted with this vile cheap goo that the uk food industry is so in love with ... ask yourself the question “do you trust the uk food industry?” nope thought not their interest is in profit first & peoples health second, they don’t represent the consumer they represent the producers and retailers.

If you doubt what I say just Google Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil and Trans Fatty Acids, you will find two opinions 1) the food industry saying there is no evidence - please don’t take away our cheap filler and 2) health reports and eminent doctors saying it underlies obesity and heart disease and atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries)

I would use all 3 supermarkets to buy non HVO products but it seems that LIDL has the most selection and for some reason the lidl's abroad in france etc have virually no products with HVO FTA in –anyway well done LIDL for having the best range of non TFA products in the uk.

1connect
  • soba
    soba Posts: 2,166
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks, 1connect for that information. We've been avoiding hydrogenated oils for the past year or so since we found out about the health inplications. I must say that it makes your shopping trip a bit longer though having to thoroughly read the ingredients, but we think that is time well spent. Slightly OT, we've been trying to source frozen (or fresh) puff pastry without HVO but it's not been easy. However, managed to get some at Farmfoods yesterday. I've tried making my own, but it wasn't a great success!
  • My all time favourite at Lidl is their totally brilliant lemon bathroom cleaner. Best cleaner I've tried and leaves lovely smell behind too. :j
  • Lidl pure apple juice - not from concentrate and no additives is absolutely delicious, and at 69p for a litre - wow, you just can't beat it.
    Also their litre of Tomato Juice is the tastiest around also.
  • gobbo
    gobbo Posts: 96
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    all 3 are good . own brands usually same price as tesco value range but better packaging - not designed to put you off and taste nicer -

in particular

lidl

belgian chocolate seashells cost £1.75 onstead of £4 a box in big supermarkets , I believe only one company makes these so they must be the same ones.

All chocolate - it complies with the german chocolate rules which have a higher minimum cocao content

the xmas chocolate / gingerbread products are excellent

wine quite good

hatherwood tinned bitter beer is one of the best in tins you can get and is only £1.99 for 4 large cans

graffenwalder lager 65p a tin is excelent lager brewed under the german purity laws

frozen turkey steaks in marinade is lovely

chocolate moose desert (4 pack)

feta cheese

checkout staff also much quicker than the big 4 so you don't have to wait so long.

Netto

greek yoghurt

99p cheese

youhurts

cornettos

wine offers can be very good - have had a temperillo for 6 bottles for £12 for a while and its very nice

prunes and apricots in a packet

cottage cheese

danish apple/ blackcurrent rounds

Aldi

don't go there much but generally quite good

I can get nearly everything I want from a comination of Netto and Lidl with the occasional visit to morrisions for other items - usually bottled beer or grapefruits as these seem to be seasonal at lidl
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure