How to Complain about a Pharmacist?

2»

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    MOVING THREADS FOR BETTER RESPONSES

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to the Health board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • melancholly
    melancholly Posts: 7,457 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    i think this is awful - but the one redeeming feature is that he realised the mistake and then did everything he could be fix it, which is something. i know that doesn't help and it could have gone badly, but he did turn up and try and fix the situation (i guess if he hadn't noticed at all, i'd say kick up a huge fuss, but perhaps rein it in a touch - still complain but without fully going for the jugular if that makes sense?!)
    :happyhear
  • Atomised wrote: »
    I was refused medicine I have taken for 2 years because a pharmicst demanded a new prescription. I was angry at the time because it was the weekend and it is life saving medicine (in the long term) , luckily I used someome else's (same) medication.

Good luck with your complaint

Did the pharmacist say why they wanted a new prescription?
  • Mrs_pbradley936
    Mrs_pbradley936 Posts: 14,567 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I think it is bad practice but at least they called round to rectify the situation as soon as they realised something was amiss. I never dwell on what could have been – just what did occur. You will drive yourself mad with what could have happened but it didn’t.
  • I'm sorry to hear about what happened, and it sounds like the pharmacist involved didn't handle the situation too well. Pharmacists are only human and all pharmacists have made dispensing errors at some point in their life. We do what we can do reduce the risk, and hope that any errors we make are minor ones and not serious ones. One of the most common reasons for a complaint being made is not that an error has been made, but the way it has been dealt with by the pharmacist.

The pharmacy involved should have a written complaints procedure, and that would be the first place I would turn to. If this does not resolve the complaint then you could consider complaining to the Royal Pharmacuetical Society - details at http://www.rpsgb.org/protectingthepublic/complaints/
    If complaining to RPSGB I would probably copy in the PCT as well.

Id like to agree with this...we all are only human.

If i was you i would just make a point of checking what is written on the script before you hand it over to minimise the risk of this happening again.

I don't think i would be complaining as the next pharmacist you get may not be as keen to hold up their hands and admit they had made a mistake.
    :D:D:DNever worry 'till you get a worry...:D:D:D

:D :j :D :j:j:D:j:D:j:D:j:D:j:D:j:D
  • Sugar_Coated_Owl
    Sugar_Coated_Owl Posts: 12,379 Forumite
    Unfortunately dispensing errors do occur from time to time. The pharmacist obviously realised later on that he had made an error and acted accordingly to try and minimise any risk to the patient. Perhaps the pharmacist could have dealt with the matter a little better though. I'm sure the dispensing error would have been reported.
    --><-- Sugar Coated Owl --><--

If you believe, you will survive - Katie Piper

Woohoo! I'm normal! Gotta go tell the cat.
  • lolly5648
    lolly5648 Posts: 2,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I have had this happen twice to me with two different pharmacists. However I always check the box and read the instructions, especially if it is a new prescription or the packaging has changed. It is a fact of life that people make mistakes, including pharmacists and doctors.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure