Free Eye Test at Boots

MSE_Martin
MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
What is it?

It's possible to get a free eye test at Boots by joining the Boots Health Club online (which is free to join).

How does it work

You sign up at http://www.bootshealthclub.com/healthclub/signup.html fill in your details and included in your welcome pack is a free eye test voucher (usual cost £20).

What's the catch?

The Boots health club is a marketing scheme, it's aim is to grab your email and then send you online and offline marketing about Boots in order to generate your loyalty. This means there is no 'tick the box' not to receive mailings button. However you can still cancel your membership once you've had the free eye test.

Another quick note, amongst the details it asks you for is your mobile phone number, yet there's no need to enter this (it should stop any 'marketing texts').

Martin
threadbanner.gif
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• bellybabe_2
    bellybabe_2 Posts: 61 Forumite
    Don't forget, though, that if you live in Scotland, eye tests are now free for everyone!

BB
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • franked
    franked Posts: 11 Forumite
    Quality people, quality ;o) Thanks.
  • loisamelia
    loisamelia Posts: 50 Forumite
    shame i had mine done a week ago then;)
    they did gove me £25 worth of advantage points when i bought my glasses there and it was buy 1 get 1 free on the glasses too so not too bad i suppose
  • bellybabe wrote:
    Don't forget, though, that if you live in Scotland, eye tests are now free for everyone!

BB

How do we get this? I need new lenses for my glasses and had an eye test a year ago but want another just to check that the prescription's still ok
    Lightbulb moment Jan 7th 2010 - all debts cleared by Dec 2010

Overdraft £1,600
    Halifax Credit Card £720
    Tesco Credit Card £200
  • medianige
    medianige Posts: 5 Forumite
    Interesting but true: if you work on a computer as a substantial part of your employment, or if tasks you do require you to use a high level of concentration when transferring/inputting data to a computer, your employer is obliged under health and safety legislation to pay for an annual eye test.

Check the HSE website for exact detail.

If your optician says that you need glasses SPECIFICALLY for computer work (i.e. not just for reading or driving or general wear), your employer is also obliged to part pay for the glasses. They can nominate specific opticians or even bring eye-testing on-site.
    Regards

Mark
  • leaphaze
    leaphaze Posts: 357 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    medianige wrote:
    Interesting but true: if you work on a computer as a substantial part of your employment, or if tasks you do require you to use a high level of concentration when transferring/inputting data to a computer, your employer is obliged under health and safety legislation to pay for an annual eye test.

Check the HSE website for exact detail.

If your optician says that you need glasses SPECIFICALLY for computer work (i.e. not just for reading or driving or general wear), your employer is also obliged to part pay for the glasses. They can nominate specific opticians or even bring eye-testing on-site.
    Yes, that's what I did. Reduced the cost of a pair of glasses for work from £60 to £10.
    Wearing my other one today.
  • Pamelamac
    Pamelamac Posts: 48 Forumite
    MSE_Martin wrote:
    What is it?

It's possible to get a free eye test at Boots by joining the Boots Health Club online (which is free to join).

How does it work

You sign up at http://www.bootshealthclub.com/healthclub/signup.html fill in your details and included in your welcome pack is a free eye test voucher (usual cost £20).

What's the catch?

The Boots health club is a marketing scheme, it's aim is to grab your email and then send you online and offline marketing about Boots in order to generate your loyalty. This means there is no 'tick the box' not to receive mailings button. However you can still cancel your membership once you've had the free eye test.

Another quick note, amongst the details it asks you for is your mobile phone number, yet there's no need to enter this (it should stop any 'marketing texts').

Martin
    threadbanner.gif

What a wonderful tip - I have joined today - I have been putting off getting an eye test for ages - Thanks
  • Pamelamac
    Pamelamac Posts: 48 Forumite
    What a wonderful tip, I have been putting off getting an eye test for ages. I have joined Boots Healthclub today. Thanks:
  • miss_angie1
    miss_angie1 Posts: 457 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Brilliant, I have just signed up. I was meant to go to specsavers last week but had to cancel my appt at the last minute so this free eye test through Boots is fantastic!! Thanks MSE!!!
    My mantra is "Never pay full price!" ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport