www.topupnow.co.uk

Options
Stuart_W
Stuart_W Posts: 1,731 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
Our friends who run 18866.co.uk, 1899.co.uk, 18185.co.uk, telediscount, telesavers, telestunt and goodness knows what else have now also launched topupnow.co.uk for landlines. A £1.50 top-up calls buys credit you can use via a 0808 freephone number. With a 5p connection fee it does not seem favourable except where it offers 0p/min destinations not available with any of the other services (I don't think 1899 offers as many as this but I could be wrong). I'm an NTL user and topupnow.co.uk allows me to call all of the below places just for the connection fee as the 0808 number can be called from cable lines too.

International calls only 0 pence!
Bangladesh 0 p/Min
Bulgaria 0 p/Min
Germany 0 p/Min
Poland 0 p/Min
South-Africa 0 p/Min
USA 0 p/Min
Zimbabwe 0 p/Min
Connection fee 5p.

In most other cases, 18866 (2p connection) 1899 (3p connection) or 18185 (4p connection) work out better.

Comments

• pricefighter
    pricefighter Posts: 2,829 Forumite
    Options
    https://www.topupnow.co.uk is the site folks.

Cracking prices to the Free Destinations.Speak for as long as you like for 5p connection.

Also offers cheap calls to UK mobiles 9p a min,and personal numbers(Landline) 9p a min.(might work to Hospital Line eh?).Connection charge of 5p applies.

It appears not work from anything other then the landline you bought the credit on.
    PF.
  • bbb_uk
    bbb_uk Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    Options
    Assuming that the freephone is accessable for those on In-Contact Plus (incoming calls only) then they could use this service - although they would somehow have to find a way of topping up.

An 09x number from a payphone would probably be around £3 a minute or something like that.
  • Stuart_W
    Options
    To use the topupnow.co.uk service you have to call the £1.50 line from the phone you want to top up. Therefore, if you cannot make outgoing calls, the topupnow service will not be available to you.

Also, I think BT payphones block any fixed rate £1 and £1.50 per call numbers anyway, so the service could not be activated from a BT payphone. Certain non-BT payphones allow access at an additional premium.
  • Stuart_W
    Options
    http://www.topupnow.co.uk

17 countries can now be reached for 0p/min with 5p connection fee.

Agentina, Australia, Austria, Bangladesh, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Rep, Denmark, Germany, Poland, S Africa, US, Zimbabwe.

I have been using it for US calls no problems via my NTL landline.
    You make a £1.50 premium rate call and then make calls via a 0808 access number. The only down side is you don't get to hear your remaining balance, but I've been running a manual tally and it works out right at 30 5p calls for each top up.
  • Dagobert
    Dagobert Posts: 1,625 Forumite
    Options
    What happens if the line is engaged or the person you're calling does not pick up the phone? Does that cost 5p, too?
    Dagobert
  • pricefighter
    Options
    Already mentioned by OP here .
    See http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=85417&highlight=topupnow

Not sure why he has opened another thread.Moderator can you please link the two.Thanks.
    PF.
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    Done, as you edited icon12.gif
  • pricefighter
    Options
    Dagobert wrote:
    What happens if the line is engaged or the person you're calling does not pick up the phone? Does that cost 5p, too?

As you are dialling a 0800 to access the intl number you dont pay anything until there is an answer.So you pay connection 5p once.
    PF.
  • Lara
    Lara Posts: 2,880 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That site is seriously very expensive! We call Malta several times a week for only 5p per min and they want 25p per min :eek: :eek: . Not too impressed with the site either.
  • pricefighter
    Options
    Lara wrote:
    That site is seriously very expensive! We call Malta several times a week for only 5p per min and they want 25p per min :eek: :eek: . Not too impressed with the site either.

Sorry you are mistaken.They are the cheapest supplier of calls from 01/02 numbers to Malta Landlines at the mo.Have a another @@ at the site.Calls to Malta 1p a minute, connection charge 5p.You apear to be mixing up the landline and mobile,s rate.

Do you really care what the website is like as long as they are delivering the goods? Bear in mind at the moment that they also offering unlimited calls to 17 destinations for zilch.(Connection charge of 5p applies)
    PF.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport