We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

How to kill off grass and persistent weeds between slabs? (Merged Thread)

Options

Comments

• mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Robothell wrote: »

Table salt also works but by the time you fiddle about with repeated applications you'd probably have spent the cost of the glyphosate in the first place.

I hope salt does work, because I've "acquired" a 50kg bag of road salt to have a go at mine with. :shhh:
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • Mrs_pbradley936
    Mrs_pbradley936 Posts: 14,567 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you put bleach into boiling water the bleach will not work!

Dilute bleach in cold water will work BUT the OP does not want to damage the slabs and the bleach might do that.
  • Dukie_Boy
    Dukie_Boy Posts: 145 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Unixgirluk
    I Just Remembered I Read Something In The
    Vinigar 1000 Practical Uses
    Looked It Up And It Says
    Weed Suppressants Pour Hot Vinigar On Them
    Also Use White Vinegar Staight From The Bottle
    Pour On The Weeds And Grasses That Come Through
    Pavement Pour On And Leave For A Couple Of Days.
    The Weeds Will Die Back And Won't Reappear For
    Several Months

I Must Say I Haven't Tried It But Its A Cheep Option

Good Luck Dukie Boy
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So I'd need to use hot vinegar yes?
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm sure in all the answers that involve hot liquids it is the heat that is the chief effective agent rather than the additives
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi unixgirluk,

Have you seen this older thread? Weed Killer

I'll move your thread over to the Greenfingered board to see if you can get some more ideas there.

Pink
  • ixwood
    ixwood Posts: 2,550 Forumite
    Options
    I'll try the vinegar myself. I usually buy powered home brand b&q stuff, which lasts for ages. I don't like paying for water!

If you want a new er.. tool, you could try a tip. Sorry, I mean recycling centre. There's always no end of garden tools in ours. Lay on the charm and try for 50p. Or even free. You'll be doing your bit for the environment as well!
  • Kay_Peel
    Kay_Peel Posts: 1,672 Forumite
    Options
    I'd recommend a blow torch.

Kay
  • ailuro2
    ailuro2 Posts: 7,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have a weed gun that's the blow torch on a long stick, and while it does keep the weeds down they do grow back on a ( very) regular basis.

I find it helps to put an actual weedkiller down to get down to the roots, but now we have a cat again the garden will be back to no chemicals used.
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • blue-kat
    blue-kat Posts: 453 Forumite
    Options
    any tips on safer way to deal with weeds?
    our 2 dogs like to graze on the weeds.

we've got a lot of weeds in old cobbled yard and patio above, it's not possible to dig them out.

I've got glyphosphate-based weedkiller in 750ml spray bottles, but it would be exhausting using the trigger bottles and think the coverage would be poor.
    is there a better type of spray device?
    If we used the weedkiller, I was wondering about spraying it in sections and covering the sprayed area in old carpet to keep the dogs off.

I looked at a fuel weedwand to torch them, but it doesn't look strong enough to deal with a long standing weed problem.

any tips very welcome. thank you. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport