Tiscali SMTP settings suddenly not working

agme28
agme28 Posts: 110 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hiya

I use Thunderbird as my default mail program. I have used Tiscali for years with no probs. Recently, I have switched broadband provider and was on BT dialup for a while inbetween. Since setting up 02 broadband, my Tiscali account is now playing up in Thunderbird. I can still receive emails but not send them. The settings are as they should be so what do I do?

My Tiscali email address is standalone and not dependent on my ISP. I have removed the account and added it again but still it won't send emails. arghhh help!

thanks
abi

Comments

• fwor
    fwor Posts: 6,809 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    If I've understood your situation correctly, you are still using a free Tiscali email address but are no longer one of their customers?

If so, you should leave the incoming mail server set to the Tiscali mail server, but set the outgoing one to that used by your current ISP, who may also require that you use authentication in order to send email.

This problem is quite common these days, as very few ISPs now operate "open relays" (i.e. mail servers that will accept emails from unknown sources) because they get abused by spammers.
  • agme28
    Thanks for your reply

I did try and change the outgoing settings to match those of O2, but it didn't work. How would it know that it was my Tiscali account thought?

Kind Regards

abi
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    It wouldn't.
  • mdbarber
    mdbarber Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    you can find a dial up number for tiscali and connect via that to send emails but as stated most smtp servers are locked down to receive from their own network only.
    use the dial up method to notify all your address book of the migration to new address
    click here to achieve nothing!
  • £$&*"($£&(
    £$&*"($£&( Posts: 4,538 Forumite
    My main email address is a Tiscali one but I can't send emails through Outlook unless I connect through Tiscali dialup. If I have to send emails with that address I use the webmail option.
  • agme28
    Thanks guys

I realise my Tiscali account is no longer useful to me, so I've added Googlemail and O2 mail into Outlook Express and kept Tiscali in there to receive mails. Then I'll just reply from Googlemail or something. Just means I've still got all my contacts and folders set up so its not too much hassle.

Thanks again
    abi
  • Tiddler_2
    Tiddler_2 Posts: 537 Forumite
    I have the same set up - Tiscali email account and O2 as my ISP, and it works fine. I also use Thunderbird aswell

Under the Tools - Account Settings - Outgoing Server.

Enter smtp.o2.co.uk as your server name.
    port should be default of 25

You'll need to tick the use name and password under Security and Authentication.

enter User Name - this the user name for your O2 account.

Use secure connection is set to No.
  • agme28
    Tiddler

How does it know your Tiscali details if you are setting everything with O2 settings? I am sure I have tried changing the Tiscali account to match the O2 outgoing server settings but it didn't work. Are you entering your O2 username and password?

Thanks
    Abi
  • Steve-o
    Steve-o Posts: 4,487 Forumite
    Yes, you would use your O2 username and password: you are actually sending the email through O2, but it would still have your Tiscali email as the address for people to reply to.
    I have no signature.
  • agme28
    OMG it worked this time, I am overjoyed! You little geniuses you!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure