PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Council tax (and water etc) for an empty property

Options
Does anyone know if I can claim back Council Tax on a property that is empty?

My (only) house is empty - I have moved in with OH and am selling mine. It's been empty for approx 6 months. I've now been told by a friend that I would have been exempt from paying the Council tax. Is this right and could I claim it back?

And ditto water rates.

TIA

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    you can claim for council tax on empty properties for upto 6 months in any year.

Don't think you can claim for water rates, though if you install a meter you won't be using any water!
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Ms_Piggy_2
    Ms_Piggy_2 Posts: 357 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks

I'll write a letter asking for a refund! :o)
  • real1314
    real1314 Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    water rates too afaik, unnoccupied and unfurmished is the way to go for CT and water rates.

nil bill. for both.
  • Norroy
    Norroy Posts: 113 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You would be exempt on both counts, C tax for up to six months and water indefinitely.

However niether may like the fact that you are telling them after the event. The theory being that if you tell them before, then at least they have the opportunity of doing a routine visit to the property, to confirm that it is empty.

So if I were you, I would ring up the council, explain the situation and offer to send them gas/electric bills for the relevant period, showing zero or very low useage to back up your case.
  • scrummy_mummy_2
    Options
    Check your insurances too...if a property is left unoccupied for more than 30 days continuously, they may (probably will be) become invalid.
    The only thing to do with good advice is to pass it on. It is never of any use to oneself. (Oscar Wilde);)
  • Ms_Piggy_2
    Ms_Piggy_2 Posts: 357 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks - the property is empty so there is only buildings insurnace anyway. It was let previously and the cover notice states it may be empty for periods of time as long as it's visited/inspected regularly etc.

Have writen to CT people.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport