prescription charges annual certificate

Lawnmower_Man
Lawnmower_Man Posts: 66 Forumite
edited 1 April 2010 at 2:46PM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
INSERT - THIS IS NOW OUT OF DATE AND HAS BEEN REPLACED BY THE FULL GUIDE

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/cheap-prescriptions

Hello All

It always seems everyone else knows something you don't but if this small tip helps just one person save money then that will do me.

I 1 item on prescription cost £6.20 and for the past 7 years or so until 2002 I was having to get about 3 items a month minimum which per year is ££223.20 visiting the chemist every time AND YET not one of them told me you can get 4 monthly and annual certs - not even the doctor who issues the prescription every month to me. 1 amount then as many prescriptions as needed. 4 months costs £32.40 and yearly £89. This may seem a lot but look at my saving £223.20 minus £89 a massive £134.20 a year AND that is just on regular medication for my condition let alone the odd prescription here and there that every needs.

Strange how I never saw this advertised they say millions goes unclaimed in benefits (like most people I don't like to be seen as though I am sponging off the state, but I work full time and there is nothing illegal about it).

Anyway, what with this years NI rises I know feel no compunction claiming this.

Hope this helps at least one person or maybe somebody you know.

Paul !:)

insert from Martin A breakdown of savings
Further on in this discussion pharmacist Maxad2002, produced a summary of ways to save. !It was so good i thought i'd bring it to the top. !Here it is.

Hi!
I work in a Pharmacy and am constantly amazed that so few people read their prescription or read the notices that we have to display in the shop.
Here are some tips for you on how to save on prescription charges.

Cheaper to Buy over the Counter!!
With many prescriptions especially for short term conditions like a fungal infection it is cheaper to buy over the counter. So next time you take a prescription ask, most chemists will tell you and you can save a packet. For example Daktarin cream 30g on prescription is £6.40 but over the counter for the same cream is £4.99!!

HRT and Two Charge items
There are certain things that two charges have to be paid and generally this is when there are two items in one box such as two tablets or a cream and a tablet.
The only way to get round this cost is to ask your doctor for two or three months supply instead of one or see what the maximum the doctor is willing to supply.
so instead of £12.80 for 6 months supply you could get 12months supply for same cost.

Private Prescriptions !
Many of us have to take antibiotics at some time in our life and at the time all you think about is taking them. However antibiotics are incredibly cheap so next time you need some ask your doctor if he is willing to write a private prescription. If he is all you will need to pay is around £4.00 instead of £6.40.
* please not this goes for antibiotics like amoxycillin, penicillin, metrondiazole and erythromycin. *

Low income
Other people have already mentioned it on this chat but if you are at uni or don't earn much ask for a hc2 form from your local pharmacy, theres quite a lot of q's but it's well worth it.

Prepayment forms
Preypayment forms are just like bus passes and enable you to claim free prescriptions for a certain amount of time. The forms are available from your local chemist and you can either fill it in or phone up.
To work out if it would be cheaper for you all you need to do is add up how many prescriptions you have over a year and if it is more than two a month it is cheaper for a 12 month certificate. !
If you have more than 3 a month over four months then it is cheaper for a four month certificate.
The main thing to remember is this if you are considering a claim then !get a NHS RECIEPT!! this is a form that once you obtained the certificate you can claim the money back from the post office. !
They last three months from the time you pay the prescription charge so it's well worth getting.

(MARTIN INSERT: ACTUALLY THE ABOVE IS SLIGHTLY WRONG. Get over 14 prescriptions a year and the annual certificate saves money, or you need to get over5 in 4 months for the four month one. For more info call 0845 850 0030)

Well i hope these tips help. These are the basics and are designed to compliment what other people have said on here. !
The main thing is don't be embarrassed about asking because i can bet you that the person on the counter would if they were in your situation!!

Comments

• Fastflys
    Fastflys Posts: 345 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I agree with you.  The prescription prepayment certificate is not promoted by GP's, hospitals or chemists. For years governments have kept this "benefit" under wraps.

Like you I require regular medication and for a number of years paid per item.  Four years ago I applied for my first annual prescription prepayment certificate and over the years, have saved a considerable amount of money.  In no way do I consider myself a sponger.  This is not a "Free" benefit.  The up front annual charge in October 02, when I last purchased mine was £89.00.  This charge may have increased.  Price rises are usually applied in April of each year.

This benefit is available to all regardless of circumstance.

I would urge those of you who require regular medication to apply.  The certificate covers the cost of all prescription items for 12 months so if you require 14+ items per year you will benefit financially.

Ask for NHS brochure FP95 at your chemist, a very simple application form is contained therein.

Can't get your hands on a brochure? no problem, phone 0845 - 850 0030, order your prepayment certificate and pay for it by credit or debit card.

Still not sure? write to them, the address is as follows:

Prescription Pricing Authority
    PPC Issue Office
    PO Box 854
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    NE99 2DE

Or visit their website: https://www.ppa.org.uk/ppa/ppc_intro.htm

P.S.  Last year the postcard size paper certificate was replaced with a plastic one the size of a credit card.  Much easier to carry around.

Get one today!
    ;)Do It To Them Before They Do It To You ;)
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you both for this information. I must admit I'd never heard about it. I'm very impressed and will be adding it to my next money tip by linking people to this discussion so that they can read your posts. Thank you very much.

Martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • Andrea
    Andrea Posts: 368 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Chutzpah Haggler Newshound! PPI Party Pooper
    Could I just add that people with certain illnesses (can't remember them all but epilepsy is one of them) should receive one of these (or something similar) entitling them to free prescriptions.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Just to say that it is good that people know about this as I was very greatful to be told about this in 1998 at the hospital pharmacy on getting my first prescription for cancer treatment which was the price of 3 prescriptions all at once and was going to be like that every 3 weeks for 9 months plus, so I certainly saved a lot of money at this stressful time.
  • System
    If you have several regular prescriptions they are normally for 1 month each. Try to get them all together. Next time they are issued get a 4 monthly "season ticket". When approaching the runout of that ticket get your prescription early just before expiry. Only renew it a month later when you need your next prescriptions, and repeat as above. There is no obligation to renew immediately.
    Over the long run you get 10 with 2 tickets and dont pay for two months.
  • System
    great idea but you may be able to save more dosh!!!

If you buy a 4 month pre payment certificate and get a prescription immediately prior to it expiring. (Most GP's are willing to oblige given the cost of each item) you may get enough medication to cover an extra 2 months.

I only have to buy two 4 month pre payment certificates per year, saving some dosh.
  • System
    Did you all know that you can also get free prescriptions and save money off glasses with a HC2 form. Available from opticians and chemists. You do however need to be on a low income and not be getting other benefits.(income support & family credit) Ideal though for students and the elderly.
    I work in an opticians and we give them out regularly.
    Its well worth a read to see if it would benefit you!
  • System
    My wife has had a Pre payment certificate for years - this is mainly for asthma drugs, but if she was diabetic and needed insulin there would be no need. Strange how both can be life threatening but only diabetes gets free perscriptions.

Iain
    https://www.homesonsale.co.uk
    sell your house without an estate agent!
  • Galstonian
    Galstonian Posts: 1,292 Forumite
    You could always argue that nobody really gets free prescriptions. Some people have to pay more on collection but even that doesn't mean the costs are bourne entirely by the patient. There are plenty of anomolies in the health service but asthma drugs would still cost more via health insurance (I know from having living abroad).
  • System
    :)I totally agree with Ian about Asthma sufferes having to pay for their perscriptions,my husband suffers with it and i dont think they should have to pay.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure