any guinea pig money saving tips?

Comments

• hope he is feeling a bit better today poor little mite, i understand that you are trying to treat him appropriatley without causing him distress not just trying to save money by not taking him to the vets, keep up the good work and let us know how he gets on ( a vets trip may be essential tho)
    Member 1145 Sealed Pot Challenge No4 ;)
    NSD challenge not to spend anything till 2011!:rotfl:
  • Eels100
    Eels100 Posts: 984 Forumite
    Just to say that flystrike doesn't always manifest as big fat maggots but small wriggly larvae. Certainly from the conditions you describe finding him in he may well need prescription treatment that a pet shop won't be able to supply. I'd contact the vet to ensure this is dealt with appropriately. I doubt very much any vet would skin scrape the animal if the problem is so obvious that it's crawling all over him!
  • hello,
    thanks all for kind words. went to petshop today and he suggested first washing gp in an insecticidal wash, them comb him through with a nit comb. Which I have just done. At first he freaked out, but when I had him on my knee rubbing him dry then combing the little blighters out he was tickety boo- even doing the little chirrupchirrup thing. He still flighty but I know he's going to need a lot of time to be proper happy. Gonna get him out his house every day and sit with him, comb him to make sure the lice dont come back. Fingers crossed he's going to be a happy lil gp! thankyou!

Check him out!! available for a limited time only.... my dog goes in the huff if i dont spend exactly the same amount of time with her....
    RIP Floyd - 19/04/09. I know i'll see you again my best friend forever.

19/06/2013 T12 incomplete Paraplegia, down but not out.
  • awwww bless ur little gp- i hope u will both be very happy - that seller should be reported
    olympic challenge starting 7/1/07:j
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hope he's Ok.

Gone all itchy now after reading that _pale_
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • I've got a friend from Peru who says they'll be happy to take it off you!
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Bless him, hope you get it sorted
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • kate1976
    kate1976 Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    I agree that you should report the shopkeeper, poor little thing, at least it's a happy piggy now!

I have 2 pigs that are 3 years old, they drive me mad with their squeaking when I go into the kitchen as they want food all the time, great little pets though!

Good luck with it!
    Kate
    xxx
    :Axxx
    "A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather
    and ask for it back when it begins to rain."

Stay safe, stay sane, stay smiley!
  • I love that squeaking! They talk!
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • LizD_2
    LizD_2 Posts: 1,503
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Glad your pig is feeling better! Definetly get him/her a friend when you can, they really do need company of their own kind: it should help his confidence as well. Spending plenty of quiet time with him and hand feeding will help. You may find he'll always be timid though: they're naturally flighty creatures, although a lot more robust than people give them credit for. My pair (see avatar) are so different in personality: Bridie (black and white) has more front than Brighton, Saba (tricolour) is quite nervous in the hutch, but loves to trundle around when I bring them in for cuddles.

P.S. I also bring mine in for the winter. Have a look here for ideas: http://www.guineapigcages.com/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure