How long to keep paperwork ???

Comments

• Nutty_Netty
    Nutty_Netty Posts: 30 Forumite
    I keep all paperwork for at least 6 years and store it in the loft. This is after having a run in with the benefits office. Two years prior I had for a limited time while my wages were very low claimed housing benefit (legally i must add) It was only for approx 8 months until my wages took me out of the entitlement range. TWO YEARS later they then decide that I wasn't entitled to it and could I prove that I was!!! Luckily I had kept some of my payslip envelopes and the letters from them confirming that they had agreed it. They were very apologetic when I produced them but I shudder to think what would have happened if I hadn't kept them!!!
  • towseriv
    towseriv Posts: 322 Forumite
    kathfisch wrote:

Am now struggling to prove address because online statements don't count, grrr! :mad:

Sorry, waffling...... :o

You can ask the bank to print one of thier system and certify it as a true copy. In my experiance every time I have done this it has been accepted.
  • kathfisch
    kathfisch Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    towseriv wrote:
    You can ask the bank to print one of thier system and certify it as a true copy. In my experiance every time I have done this it has been accepted.

Thanks for the info!

I asked at my bank and they said they can give me a print out from the statement machine in the lobby (does not have my address on :rolleyes: ) or I could request one to be sent to me. Which I've done, but it takes 7 - 10 days. And given that I want it to prove to the post office where I live so that they'll redirect my mail since I moving next week, not a lot of help to me :rolleyes: :mad: :rotfl:

Apparently the cashier doesn't have a printer, grrr :mad:

But I might go in and challenge them on it if I don't get the statement tomorrow.

Anyone else any ideas or experience of this (I'm with HSBC) ?!
    Don't stress, relax, let life roll off your backs. Except for death and paying taxes, everything in life is only for now... Avenue Q
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 003 :DProud to have become debt free... and striving to keep it that way
  • I got into problems when my partner was kill in a road accient and I was claiming for loss of earnings. we never kept anything all bills were paid and disposed of!!, that is a good time ago now and I have learnt my lesson well. I keep everything for 7 years before I shred them.
  • Catseyez
    Catseyez Posts: 993 Forumite
    I've always been of the opinion that you 'just never know when you may need it'...with this in mind I kept all of my bank statments since my account opened...10 years later and I'm using them to claim back charges!

The old Girl Guide motto of 'Be Prepared' goes a long way!
  • kathfisch
    kathfisch Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    I got into problems when my partner was kill in a road accient and I was claiming for loss of earnings. we never kept anything all bills were paid and disposed of!!, that is a good time ago now and I have learnt my lesson well. I keep everything for 7 years before I shred them.

Charlotte, I'm sorry to hear about such an awful situation for you to go through, I can't imagine what that must have been like (((hugs))) x

It is a good point though, its often at the most difficult times that we need things like paperwork :rolleyes: I always remember my dad telling me from a young age where important paperwork was in case anything should happen to him and mum :( Thankfully haven't needed it yet but worth thinking about I guess.
    Don't stress, relax, let life roll off your backs. Except for death and paying taxes, everything in life is only for now... Avenue Q
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 003 :DProud to have become debt free... and striving to keep it that way
  • ziggy2004
    ziggy2004 Posts: 391
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I keep most things! but will get rid of things after 2 years if I have a final bill to keep. eg I have a final utility settlemant for all the addresses I lived at but not the bills that were sent in between.

Also please never ever ever throw out your P60's!!!!!! After all the inland revenue works with a computer system and we all know what can happen to them!!!!

Anne
  • enajaluap
    enajaluap Posts: 32 Forumite
    The company I work for has a destruction date for official documents of 7 years. So I'd say after 7 years, you're good to chuck 'em out
  • I don't keep anything for more than 6 months other than tax and legal stuff as I have nowhere to store it (no loft space and no spare room)
  • Best thing is keep most of the correspondance such as receipts letters from creditors accepting payment offers and F&F letters and reciepts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure