Can't access Santander online banking without registering OTP on phone.

It is not possible to login to Santnader online banking without a mobile phone and registering for One time passcode (OTP).
Does anyone have a work around ? When logging in, It says :
"If you do not have a mobile phone please contact us on 0845 600 4388 to access your Online Banking, lines are open from 7am to 11pm Monday to Saturday, and 9am to 9pm on a Sunday."
Has anyone done this and what happens?
The only other option is to register….. unless the 'prefer to register later' becomes available after 11pm ?
Answers please from users with experience.

Comments

• dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    You can logon - but you can't do much.

Start the registration process - then decline its T&C. You'll then have read only access to your account.
  • Dr_Cuckoo3
    Dr_Cuckoo3 Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    It is not possible to login to Santnader online banking without a mobile phone and registering for One time passcode (OTP).

The only other option is to register….. unless the 'prefer to register later' becomes available after 11pm ?
    Answers please from users with experience.

No - it does not become available after 11pm (I attempted after 11pm today) :)

It is not possible to proceed past the registation page without entering a mobile phone number now

I also have an A&L account and can still use that to transact on all accounts - I am unable to use Santander/Abbey internet banking ;)
    dzug1 wrote: »
    You can logon - but you can't do much.

Start the registration process - then decline its T&C. You'll then have read only access to your account.

incorrect :whistle:
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • You need to ring Santander Online banking technical help on 0845 600 4388 and ask them to remove that page. They're open from 7am to 11pm Monday-Saturday and 9-9 on Sunday I think? They can just remove the page, but you won't be able to set new first time payments up without the OTP. Instead you'll have to ring them or go in branch old fashioned style.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Dr_Cuckoo3 wrote: »

incorrect :whistle:

Then it's changed very recently - it worked for me for quite a while. (You had to do it every time you logged on)

As I've closed the account in the last couple of weeks I can't check what the current situation is
  • I had the same problem, kept declining it and in the end they removed the option to decline:mad: As i have no mobile i had to use the OH'S in the end, they just sent a pin to his phone but as of yet i havn't had to use it.
  • td_007
    td_007 Posts: 1,212 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Now there is the option to "upgrade" the online banking page which means setting up more security info - though must admit that it now looks more streamlined and professional than before. Does not mean that customer service is any better:rotfl:
  • pb3
    pb3 Posts: 162 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I had the same problem, kept declining it and in the end they removed the option to decline:mad: As i have no mobile i had to use the OH'S in the end, they just sent a pin to his phone but as of yet i havn't had to use it.

This must be a pretty recent development. I have been happily clicking the "register later" button for ages, and it is still there. I logged on earlier today.

I'll be one very unhappy bunny if they try to force me into it, especially since you need to accept a load of T&Cs as part of the registration. The cheek of it all! :mad:
  • Decided to take 25 pounds in compensation from Santander and move my account.
    Probably take too long to get the FOS to look at it.
  • reclusive46
    reclusive46 Posts: 2,698 Forumite
    You can receive text messages on your landline or doesn't this work with the Santander OTP? Also my grandad didn't have a mobile and as he had been such a good customer (Apparently) they gave him some small amount to buy a phone lol
  • I complained to Santander when I found out that I would have to register a mobile phone in order to manage my current account successfully. I told them that the new rules could be interpreted as discriminating against people without a mobile, those who cannot afford to ring 0845 numbers and those unable to visit a branch. The reply I recieved was a one sentence letter with leaflet about how to complain.

I do not fit into the categories outlined above but have decided to move my current account to another bank. I have been a customer for over 30 years (with giro bank and A and L before transfer to Santander). It is a nuisance to have to do it but I always vote with my feet.

I mentioned my decision to transfer my current account when visiting a Nationwide branch I currently have my cash isa with and was told that they were getting a number of applications from disatisfied customers of Santander. I think I will transfer to First Direct.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure