Whats the cheapest way to feed my cat?

Comments

• Lily-Lu
    Lily-Lu Posts: 428 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sequeena wrote: »
    If it says meat and animal derivatives (which whiskas has) it's the crap left over which they can't use for humans.
    Yes, I understand that....But what's not clear to me is what does '50% chicken' actually mean? 50% muscle meat?....Or is it just stating that 50% of the contents are chicken, and could in fact be meat and any other parts of said chickens? Sorry, but stating '50% chicken' is too vague for me.

That's why I'd like to know exactly what the labelling regulations are.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Well that was an hour of my life I will never get back! Don't bother reading the Pet Food Manufacturer's Association website, it's like talking to a politician :rolleyes: .... Worryingly their membership reads like a who's who: Burns and MPM (Applaws) as well as the 'big four'.

The material of animal origin used by the pet food industry comprises those parts of animals which are either deemed surplus to human consumption or are not normally consumed by people in the UK, and derived from animals inspected and passed as fit for human consumption prior to slaughter. Animal material of this nature, which is not intended for human consumption, is classified as "animal by-products" under the EC Regulation on Animal By-Products for which Defra is responsible, and assigned the lowest risk rating. This rating requires that the material be free of any transmissible disease, which therefore excludes material from dying, diseased or disabled animals.

http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/petfood.pdf

The main change has been a new European definition of meat for labelling purposes, which is different from the definition currently used in the UK. The new definition defines meat as 'skeletal muscle with naturally included or attached tissue', and sets specific limits for the amount of fat and connective tissue (i.e., rind, tendon, sinew, skin etc.) allowed (see table below). The definition specifically excludes MRM, feet and trotters, tail, and head meat but includes cheeks (Masseters). It also excludes non-muscle cuts such as liver, kidney, heart etc. Products are still allowed to contain all of these ingredients - they will just need to be described differently, and they cannot count towards the declared meat content.
    http://www.food.gov.uk/foodindustry/guidancenotes/meatregsguid/meatregsguidebutchers
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Lily-Lu
    Lily-Lu Posts: 428 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Fire_Fox wrote: »

The main change has been a new European definition of meat for labelling purposes, which is different from the definition currently used in the UK. The new definition defines meat as 'skeletal muscle with naturally included or attached tissue', and sets specific limits for the amount of fat and connective tissue (i.e., rind, tendon, sinew, skin etc.) allowed (see table below). The definition specifically excludes MRM, feet and trotters, tail, and head meat but includes cheeks (Masseters). It also excludes non-muscle cuts such as liver, kidney, heart etc. Products are still allowed to contain all of these ingredients - they will just need to be described differently, and they cannot count towards the declared meat content.
    http://www.food.gov.uk/foodindustry/guidancenotes/meatregsguid/meatregsguidebutchers
    Interesting, thanks for the link. I'll have a look at that tomorrow.

I've found a link for the regulations, but it's like looking for a needle in a haystack. Can't find any bits that I want, and it's enough to put you off reading for life.....If anyone wants to have a go at deciphering it...be my guest :rotfl:
    http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2005/20053281.htm

Oh, just to make things clear. I've got nothing against Purely. Never used it, and am unlikely to, seeing as my two cats' are raw fed. Nor do I have a problem with 'animal derivitives', as are stated on the Whiskas label. I just have a problem with vague statements that can sway people without giving any further info.

Blimey :eek: I'm way past my bedtime, thanks to getting a bee in my bonnet and trying to sift through that lot :rotfl:
  • ravernoloo
    ravernoloo Posts: 1,194 Forumite
    iv just read through this whole thred, and some interesting points. I am getting a kitten at the end of this month and was wondering what food to feed her. She isnt a pedigree or anything, she has a long coat. I thought whiskas and felix were good food but after reading this it has opened my eyes. I am currently unemployed as i was made redundant last year, so am looking for the cheapest but healthiest food option. I also have a dog, we are feeding him pedigree but after reading this thread i may also change that to a better product. Iv seen some brands pointed out, like jwb and science hills, but which is the best? and which one comes out the other end a bit better!
    Good things come to those who wait!
  • Fire_Fox
    edited 14 January 2010 at 8:46PM
    What is your budget per animal? Do you want to feed commercial wet, kibble, both, raw? With cats the high meat stuff - especially raw - tends to come out the other end best! Grains are not very well digested by obligate carnivores, dogs are omnivorous but still shouldn't have too much grain but I will leave someone else to fill you in there.

Pet food offers thread here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1898241

Cheapest raw cat food:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=2105627

Feeding cats on a budget:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=2064383

James Wellbeloved is fairly low in meat: Hills is better but not all the variants so read the ingredients labels. The benefit of some of these big names for you is they do often come onto two-for-one offers. Cats are all one species, you don't need any kind of specific food for different breeds or coat types. Dogs come in a wider variety of sizes, so you may need to consider whether the breed has any risk of joint problems.

I am feeding Noah, a large adult cat, on 50p per day - a mix of ready made raw (Food4Cats), chicken wings, no grain dry (Orijen and Applaws), high meat wet (Pets at Home Purely, Feline Fayre, Bozita). I stock up when things are on offer and buy online to get the best prices.
  • ravernoloo
    well i am on income support so i was willing to pay £5 a week as thats what we pay for if we feed our dog pedigree meat, although the biscuits are cheaper. I dont know if i could make my own food, all of that sounds very confusing. And i have no idea what to feed her, wet, dry, or commercial? i dont really know what would be best. My aun tie has had cats for years and said cats should eat meat, but then i read here that biscuits are good for their teeth, so maybe i will feed biscuits with maybe a tin of sardines or tuna twice a week? Can you even give that to a kitten? Im not getting her until the end of this month so i have some more reading to do. Iv had a cat before when i was young but never a kitten
  • Fire_Fox
    edited 14 January 2010 at 9:54PM
    £5 a week is loads of money you can easily feed a good quality diet on that, especially as the kitten will be small! There is no evidence that kibble is good for cleaning teeth, that is an old wive's tale - many vets recommend raw meaty bones to clean cats and dogs teeth. The great news is that sometimes this is FREE but definitely cheap! :money:

For raw bones you can ask a friendly butcher for any waste bones he has, chicken wings, necks and backs for the cat and really anything for the dog assuming he is a large dog. Just give them a raw meaty bone each a couple of times a week - Noah has half a raw chicken wing. Value/ Smartprice wings are £1.80 per kilo, Sainsburys Basics also have frozen bone in chicken portions for £1.50 per kilo.

For regular meals you have a choice:
    1. All Raw - if you are scared of doing this yourself (me too), this website has a sample pack 3.2kg for £10 then your £10 is taken off your first proper order. http://www.food4-cats.co.uk/
    Noah has half a sausage a day, your kitten would need far less, so it is really economical. I have been naughty and ordered a sample to my mum's address as well, so I have two £10 discounts to come. ;)

2. Kibble - first thing to say is pet food companies are VERY generous, I e-mailed loads and ended up with 2.5kg of free dry food! :T There is a £5 voucher to print on the Hills website, £5 from Arovit, and if you register with Whiskas or Purina you get smaller vouchers.

As your aunt says, cats need meat. Most dry cat food is very low in meat (some 4%!) so always read the ingredients. If you have a Jollyes pet shop they do Lifestage 26% meat which is £2 per kilo. I think the premium stuff in Lidl or Aldi is OK meat-wise too, but not sure of prices. Pets at Home own brands are also good, the silver bag is 25% meat and Purely is 40% meat (£3.50 per kilo). If you want to go really high meat Applaws is 80% meat (£5.50 per kilo but often on offer) or Fish4Cats is 70% fish (£4.50 per kilo).

3. Wet Food: if you only feed wet food you must choose a complete food, if you feed dry or raw as well you can give a complementary food. Complete will contain all the muscle, bones, organs (heart/ liver) and fat that your kitten needs to be healthy. Definitely do not feed human tinned fish to a kitten except as a rare treat. It is much too salty and might stress their kidneys, also it doesn't contain all the nutrients a cat needs.

Reasonably priced wet foods include Feline Fayre - the cheaper blue packages are complementary and the more expensive black are complete. :rolleyes: Large 400g tins in Asda (70% tuna) are just 50p or £1.50 per kilo so cheaper and healthier than the human tuna! The Feline Fayre pouches (60% fish) are on offer at the moment £1 for eight, otherwise try Home Bargains or B&M where they are £1.80 for eight.

Pets at Home Purely which is complete, the small tins 160g (50% fish) work out to £2.80 per kilo, the pouches are much more expensive. Bozita which you buy online is also £2.80 per kilo, complete and up to 90% meat!! :j Lastly Tesco Luxury complete (50% meat) which is only cheap when on offer at £3 for a box of twelve pouches (£3 per kilo) but comes on offer regularly.
  • taxi97w
    taxi97w Posts: 1,526 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    edited 15 January 2010 at 12:51AM
    shelly wrote: »
    I have waited until today to reply to you taxi97w because I wanted to speak to the vet who treated Coco first.
    Even though I knew in my mind that my cats diet didn't cause her cancer the comment you made bothered me so I wanted to get the facts from a vet.

Having just spoken to the vet she informed me that nothing a cat eats can cause cancer. She said even if a cat ate 100% meat it wouldn't get cancer but would likely suffer from a vitamin A deficiency that can cause extra bony growths on places like the spine so the cat would become stiff when moving about.
    She also said that these days even the very cheapest of cat foods give a cat everything it needs so there is no need to add anything at all to their food.

And ask a homeopathic vet and he would tell you differently.

A, C & E vitamins are antioxidents & they kill free radicals. This is an online dictionary definition of free radicals:-
    An atom or group of atoms that has at least one unpaired electron and is therefore unstable and highly reactive. In animal tissues, free radicals can damage cells and are believed to accelerate the progression of cancer, cardiovascular disease, and age-related diseases.
    Which brings me to mention one more thing off topic before I go- search for the information about the extaordinary number of cats developing cancerous grows at the base of their heads- the injection region, believed to be caused by innoculations.
    more dollar$ than sense
  • ravernoloo
    thanks so much, you have really been a help, i thought your could give a cat tinned tuna! i think iv been watching too much tv lol, i think i will wait until i get her as i dont know what food she will be eating from her breeders, then choose a food and slowly introduce it, i reckon i will go with a top quality kibble from pets at home, iv just had a browse on their site and a lot of the top quality kibbles are on special offer :D

Iv tried raw bones with my dog before (we have a staffordshire bull terrier) but he just got the runs from it, so never got it again. Can you give a kitten bones aswell or do they have to be over a certain age? Thanks so much for your help ;)
  • Apricot
    Apricot Posts: 2,497 Forumite
    I gave mine raw bones when they were kittens although they didn't eat as much of it as they do now that they're bigger. They used to eat all of the meat off it and eat about a third of the bone (chicken wing) - then they would basically bat the rest of the bone around the kitchen floor for a few hours. I was worried they would choke at first so I watched them like a hawk but they were completely adept at eating them and never had any problem.

Mine do get tinned tuna from time to time (perhaps once a month) i don't think it's too awful as an occasional treat. I quite often go to Asda around 7pm which is when they reduce all their fresh fish & I can often pick up something tasty for them for less than a pound that lasts at least two meals each.
    :happylove DD July 2011:happylove

Aug 13 [STRIKE]£4235.19[/STRIKE]:eek: £2550.00 :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family