PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Washing waterproof coats

Comments

• whatatwit wrote: »
    Make sure you don't use too much powder.....voice of experience.....I turned into Mrs Snow once having washed my waterproofs that I wear for golf, and then getting caught in the rain. Everywhere you touched the things, bubbles appeared....it looked very fetching between my legs. :o

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Sorry, whatatwit, can't help it, best laugh I've had for ages. Thanks, for sharing it with us. Just what I needed on a miserable January day!
  • KittyBoo_2
    KittyBoo_2 Posts: 676 Forumite
    Thanks for your rep;ies.
    Very useful and amusing too.
    NSK Zombie # SFD 7/15 Food Bank £0/£5
    Food
    £73.57/£122 (incl. pet food)
    Petrol £20/£40
    Exercise 2/15 Outings 1/2
    Debt :eek: £18,917
  • natc
    natc Posts: 593 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My oh needs his waterproof jacket washing before we go camping this week, we dont have any special washing powder, and dont really want to go out and spend god knows how much pn fancy products like that! (and also will not have the time :p)

Its not really mucky, he only wore it once to do the 3 peaks, but said he got sweaty in it and wants it washing!

Read some posts on here earlier about washing waterproofs in washing machine on low heat and short wash and hanging dry. Or, washing with soap flakes? Whats the best way to wash it, without damaging it? Is it a stupid question to ask whether soda crystals will be any good?!!!!
  • frivolous_fay
    frivolous_fay Posts: 13,302 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    What's it made of?
    My TV is broken! :cry:
    Edit: refunded £515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act! :j
  • Bitsy_Beans
    Bitsy_Beans Posts: 9,640 Forumite
    I would just use very little washing powder on a cool wash.
    I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife :D Louise Brooks
    All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.
    Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
  • natc
    Oooh im not sure what its made of....will check, i know its a regatta jacket....

I was thinking of just doing that bitsy. You done this?
  • Bitsy_Beans
    Bitsy_Beans Posts: 9,640 Forumite
    I have and they've still turned out to be waterproof.
    I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife :D Louise Brooks
    All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.
    Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
  • natc
    Ooooh thanks Bitsey, will just give that a try, a tad bit of washing powder. Thank you.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi natc,

I washed my Regatta jacket recently on a short wash with normal powder and it's lost it's waterproofing so be careful, it doesn't work for everyone. There's an earlier thread with more advice that should help so I'll add your thread to it to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
  • sarah_elton
    sarah_elton Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Is it a gore-tex jacket? Gore-tex can usually be machine-washed, but over time it can cause damage to the gore-tex membrane and it will lose its water-proofing (very gradually).

Best advice must surely be to follow the care instructions on the label if you still have it...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure