Crisp 10 pound note's to enter turkey

Hi

We are going to turkey in 2 weeks time and have been told that to enter the country we must hand over a crisp £10 note per person, This sound's a bit strange, Can anybody confirm this?

thanks

jay

Comments

• notakid
    notakid Posts: 10,362 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yes its true, they stand there with a box! Honestly! £10 each even for children.
    But if ever I stray from the path I follow
    Take me down to the English Channel
    Throw me in where the water is shallow And then drag me on back to shore!
    'Cos love is free and life is cheap As long as I've got me a place to sleep
    Clothes on my back and some food to eat I can't ask for anything more
  • gadger999
    gadger999 Posts: 141 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Were off to marmaris in 2 weeks as well.
    The £10 note is for a 90 day visa, realy just a way of getting a bit of extra sterling (used to be £5 back in the 90's)
    Have a good holiday.
    Cheers............
  • stephb34
    stephb34 Posts: 2,064 Forumite
    Hi it must be an english £10 note per person not scottish and if theres 2 of you dont give them a £20 as they do only take £10 each and they wont give you change for the £20, then you'll end up giving £20 per person.
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,164 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Yes it's true - even babies have to pay!

There are booths just as you get inside the terminal building, and you have to pay your £10 and get your visa stamped in your passport. My sons also had to state which football team they supported :D

On your return, Turkish airports charge stupidly high prices for food and drinks. If you will need refreshments at the airport, but food and drinks in the resort and take it with you. There are no liquid restrictions and we carried a large bottle of water through to the departure lounge and some sandwiches.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • Saint_Chris
    Saint_Chris Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    And when you get there, above is a list of other countries charges.

have a look how much we pay to other countries.
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    It's the same in Egypt if you leave your resort you need a Visa :)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • doelani
    doelani Posts: 2,576 Forumite
    Just to add put a £10 inside each passport not all together in one. First year 5 of us went and I put 10 in 3 passports but my eldest son had his an his little brothers passport and put the 2 £10 notes in the one passport and handed his in with his brothers that had no £10 in it ....what an argument to get them to believe we were not trying to get in without paying for youngest son lol

they did believe us in end but told one " £10 in each passport" so we were well and truly warned :rotfl:
    TOTAL 44 weeks lose. 6st 9.5lb :T
  • doelani
    doelani Posts: 2,576 Forumite
    Becles wrote: »

On your return, Turkish airports charge stupidly high prices for food and drinks. If you will need refreshments at the airport, but food and drinks in the resort and take it with you. There are no liquid restrictions and we carried a large bottle of water through to the departure lounge and some sandwiches.

I agree in May this year we paid £24 ( used debit card ) for 2 kfc's :eek: they were lovely but not worth that amount lol
    TOTAL 44 weeks lose. 6st 9.5lb :T
  • MrSmartprice
    MrSmartprice Posts: 17,625 Forumite
    I have only been to Turkey once, in about 1996, and it was £10 to get in then. It is a complete racket, but in a way it prepares you for the constant hassles and scams that you will encounter during your stay.

It is impossible to walk past a restaurant in a tourist resort without fending off their touts. Don't fall for them as these places offer mediocre food at inflated prices. You are far better eating at the simple little places used by the locals. And there is always someone trying to part you from your money. Even the shoeshine kids were a constant pain.

Turkey is also a very unhygienic place and you are likely to get food poisoning - we were both off work for a week after our trip. All these factors mean that we would never consider Turkey again.
  • markccfc
    markccfc Posts: 47 Forumite
    notakid wrote: »
    Yes its true, they stand there with a box! Honestly! £10 each even for children.

Not having been to Turkey, what happens if you don't have it ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure