We've made some changed to Competitions Time. Please see this thread.

New! Competition end dates posting

Comments

• Svenena
    Svenena Posts: 1,450
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Oh, as it stands, I'm not keen...

There have been some recent changes to the board which I wholeheartedly welcome; I love using the skip x for example, but it doesn't impact users who choose to ignore it. This, however, does seem to have the potential to make the current search/ordering facility work less well for us. If it had come with the ability to search by date order, it would have just taken a bit of getting used to but, since we decided to use the current title format, it's worked beautifully, with just some gentle nudges and explanations from experienced posters to newbies.

My plea would be for all posters to continue with the current title format.

Firefly explained above that the format of posts won't change, it's just that instead of having to type the date in the correct format yourself, you select the date and it's put in automatically; if I've understood that correctly.

If it's still going to be in each thread title, then it will still be possible to sort by end date using the options at the bottom of the page.

Sounds like a great idea to me!
  • mnkyhngr
    mnkyhngr Posts: 259
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    displaying the end date adds an extra line to the forum listing, making the listing a lot longer than it needs to be.
    It adds no value as the end date is in the title

Please remove it from display
  • bargainhuntergal
    bargainhuntergal Posts: 1,774
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 8 November 2012 at 12:50PM
    I've not submitted a thread myself but if it's still putting the E: ??/?? in the title automatically then that's fab.

It wasn't obvious that that was what was happening though, it looked as though people were still having to type that in as normal as some of the newly added 'Unknown' ones have a date in the title.

Edit: It surely can't be doing it automatically can it? *confused look* There's this one on there that has the end date in the new format, but it's not in the E: ??/?? format in the title:

firstnew.gif E: 2/01/2013 Win an i-Pad
    End: 02-01-2013
    Bex__0

Edit 2: That thread seems to have disappeared now, not sure if it was a dupe or self promotion or something (I hadn't read the thread before only noticed the title).
  • bargainhuntergal
    bargainhuntergal Posts: 1,774
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 8 November 2012 at 12:55PM
    fire**fly wrote: »
    hi BHG :A
    think it's showing all the old ones posted still from when we had to type out the E: XX/XX
    now before you post a comp it won't submit untill you've put the end date in iyswim, so newbies/posters can't submit a comp until they put the end date in the new format at the bottom of the post when posting,
    if it's implemented in the long puzzler comps as well it would be great for the end date compers :)

Thanks for the explanation fire**fly! :j

I don't like being confused, and it doesn't take a lot tbh! :o :rotfl:

Edit: What happens to the title if you tick the 'Unknown' end date box (I've just looked at the post a new thread link to see how it works)?
  • fire**fly
    fire**fly Posts: 147,799
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    I've not submitted a thread myself but if it's still putting the E: ??/?? in the title automatically then that's fab.

It wasn't obvious that that was what was happening though, it looked as though people were still having to type that in as normal as some of the newly added 'Unknown' ones have a date in the title.

Edit: It surely can't be doing it automatically can it? *confused look* There's this one on there that has the end date in the new format, but it's not in the E: ??/?? format in the title:

firstnew.gif E: 2/01/2013 Win an i-Pad
    End: 02-01-2013
    Bex__0

Edit 2: That thread seems to have disappeared now, not sure if it was a dupe or self promotion or something (I hadn't read the thread before only noticed the title).

i might be wrong but i think if ops put something like
    2/12 it won't work because it needs the both figures to work & the year ending
    ie: 02/12/12

looking through the comps any that have 9/11 (as example) are showing as End: Unknown

so they need to put 09/11/2012

thinking that's how it should work now but old ones posted will show as not known, what do you think ?
    please be a responsible pet owner & spay/neuter your pets, too many strays & not enough homes for them sadly. k2u58ioz4c8e.png

• fire**fly wrote: »
    i might be wrong but i think if ops put something like
    2/12 it won't work because it needs the both figures to work & the year ending
    ie: 02/12/12

looking through the comps any that have 9/11 (as example) are showing as End: Unknown

so they need to put 09/11/2012

thinking that's how it should work now but old ones posted will show as not known, what do you think ?

I'm really not sure? *confused look again*

The thread that I noticed had the right date with the 02 in the new format bit underneath, but in the title it didn't have the 0 before the 2?

It's a shame it's gone really as no one can see what I'm on about. :rotfl:
  • fire**fly
    Forumite

it's showing
    E: DAILY £100.00 Google+ Giveaway | Shade Station
    End: Unknown

as it's no ending date been put in :)
    please be a responsible pet owner & spay/neuter your pets, too many strays & not enough homes for them sadly. k2u58ioz4c8e.png

• fire**fly
    Forumite
    Barnabysue wrote: »
    This one has an end date but is showing as unknown:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4276331

maybe it was posted before the new format was implemented so
    it shows as Unknown because there's no 2012 in

• Svenena wrote: »
    Firefly explained above that the format of posts won't change, it's just that instead of having to type the date in the correct format yourself, you select the date and it's put in automatically; if I've understood that correctly.

If it's still going to be in each thread title, then it will still be possible to sort by end date using the options at the bottom of the page.

Sounds like a great idea to me!

Really? The thread title will be automatically edited to show the end date in our usual format or the end date will simply show above the poster's name unless they've completed the title in the usual way? Sorry, I don't understand! :o
    Avoiding plastic, palm oil and Nestlé
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport