Great What/What Not to Buy at Lidl, Aldi and Netto Hunt

Comments

• LOL at Songbird!

I may be the only person in the world who likes Lidl baked beans. They taste and cost the same as Asda value ones.

Do not buy the cheapest Lidl teabags (cannot remember the brand - it was obscure) - vile!
  • Just remembered - Lidl is excellent for French cheese. The Emmental is lovely and you get a big slab for £1.79. Had to go to Asda last week and paid £1.49 for a piece half the size of what I usually buy in Lidl.
  • Clariman
    Clariman Posts: 1,484
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I did an analysis of my shopping basket at LIDLs and was delighted to see that it was 56% cheaper than at a mainstream supermarket. More details here
    http://www.stoozing.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1131277124

My personal favourites from LIDL are fruit juices, fruit and veg (but you do need to check it is fresh), parmesan, olive oil, pasta, cheap bottled water for the gym, chianti etc

I didn't like the coffee but I am very fussy about my coffee.

Clariman
    Author of the first Stoozing FAQ on the Internet and Creator of the SOA & Snowball calculators at Lemonfool.co.uk
  • As I live on my own and therefore only have a small grocery bill, I have always thought its not worthwhile driving from one side of Hull to the other in order to save a few pennies at a different supermarket. However, my local Sainsburys has an Aldi just opposite, so I buy most of my stuff at Sainsburys and buy the following at Aldi:

Cartons of Orange Juice - Slightly more expensive than sainsburys economy brand, but far better quality and has a resealable lid

Olive Spread - works out about 30p per kilo cheaper than Sainsburys own

Free Range Eggs - 10p Per half dozen cheaper than Sainsburys

Milk - 4p cheaper on 4 pints than sainsburys

Cleaning products generally seem to be cheaper and good quality

Sainsburys do seem to compete with the Aldi store on price so it's worth checking before each purchase

Don't buy the Harvest Grain Fruit and Fibre cereal its horrible, and when sainsburys have an offer thiers it works out cheaper so stock up then. Also make sure you nick one or two spare carrier bags from sainsburys as Aldi charge 3p for thiers!!

Am interested in Aldi's own washing powder (think is called Almat) - read one thread here which suggested it was ok, but wondered if anyone else had an opinion?

Great thread buy the way...
  • kikeng
    kikeng Posts: 8 Forumite
    Lidl - Buy
    Definitely cleaning products
    Canned vegetables (peas and baby carrots, corn)
    Orange juice, the 1L carton is very good as well
    Razors (very good quality I find)
    Bread and bread making stuff (esp flour)
    Chocolates and sweets
    Toilete paper
    Kitchen towels
    Ham
    Some sausages

Lidl - Don't buy
    Milk (goes off very soon, not nice taste and not cheap - try Iceland instead)
    "Margarine" or spreadable, yuk
    Not sure about meat, though

But I find that it is a great shop overall and very "globalised", there are LIDLs everywhere
  • dadrock
    dadrock Posts: 113 Forumite
    Do any of them flog organic produce too?
  • datimms
    datimms Posts: 82
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    LIDL

DON'T BUY: Honey nut cornflakes.. you're better off with kellogs
    Fruit & veg is often bruised or nasty looking
    Do BUY : Granary wholemeal bread (54p)- this used to be Hovis branded and although no longer in the same package still tastes the same (this loaf costs £1.10ish in Tesco)
    the other cereals are great in my experience.
    their fresh "premium" sausages are great
    as are most the meats, hams salamis etc
    most frozen stuff is ace
    TIP: take the time to look around properly. I used to think LIDL was only good for a few things and sold really obscure things. Either they've improved their range to compete, or I just wasnt using my eyes!
  • Tony.B_8
    Tony.B_8 Posts: 39 Forumite
    Marchocias wrote:
    Lidl's meat products are generally excellent. They also have some nice fruit juices - their red grape juice is particularly good.

As stated above, don't touch their baked beans with a bargepole. They have a very odd taste to them.
    Just this morning bought some Lidl Beand with Sausages...They make a great lunch
    Tony of Graveney
  • Tony.B_8
    Tony.B_8 Posts: 39 Forumite
    Wonderfull typing...
    I,ll try again
    Beans with Sausages are what I meant that I like !!!!!!!!!
    Tony of Graveney
  • LIDL

What to buy:
    Own version of mini-magnums - but wait until frozen products are all on offer
    Mini Viennetta in an pink box - ditto
    Fresh mozeralla cheese, heaps cheaper than anywhere else
    Fresh bratwurst sausages, 85% pork and they cook up ginormous!

Don't buy:
    Tinned pineapple, completely tasteless and woody

By the way, yes the baked beans are awful BUT the beans you get in the Pork Sausage and Beans are really nice. Just pick out the sausage if you must...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure