PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Banoffee Pie

Hubby has been going on for ages about banoffee pie, so I thought I'd make him one.

Has anyone got a really nice recipe that they would like to share?
Here I go again on my own....

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    There's one here that is recommended:-

http://www.nestle.co.uk/OurBrands/Re...anoffeePie.htm

I'm sure that others will be along shortly :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • WeirdoMagnet
    WeirdoMagnet Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I do one a bit like the nestle one, with the same (cheesecake style) base - (you could use chocolate digestives if you want it extra yummy), but with a complete disregard for H&S :eek: and boil the tin of condensed milk (for about 1.5-2hrs). Apparently the tin can explode, but I must've got the idea from somewhere, and I've never had a problem. :o

On top of the whipped cream I grate dark chocolate.

Yummy!
    "No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
  • teacup_2
    teacup_2 Posts: 204 Forumite
    Hi I went to see phill vickery ( ferns hubby from daytime show This morning!) Free tickets from this website !!!!, and in our goody bag we got wait for it ...........................a tin of nestle carnation caramel

On the back of the tin is the recipe , and this caramel is all ready and you just splodge it in and top with your , cream and bananas, no more stirring condensed milk!!!. It comes in a 397gram tin , I know he said it is a brand new product from nestle, we all got to try his puds, I fell in love with him !!! that night , I was moaning with delight !!. I know fern has been eating wisely and lost weight , but how tough when married to a man that cooks angels food. He was very lovely and a real natura too. May be worth checking the supermarket shelf out, it suits me this caramel as it is foolproof and I have always made that bit too thick normally!:p
    2012 - Emergency savings fund goal by December 2012 £3000.00
  • Garetha
    Garetha Posts: 981 Forumite
    Georgina wrote: »
    ... with a complete disregard for H&S :eek: and boil the tin of condensed milk (for about 1.5-2hrs). Apparently the tin can explode, but I must've got the idea from somewhere, and I've never had a problem. :o ...
    ... as long as you keep the sealed tin in water it won't explode - but let it dry out for a few moments and .... BANG! :eek:
    We used to do several tins at a time - and then store them ready. But the idea of being able to buy it ready appeals.
  • knithappens
    knithappens Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    i have a recipe off the back of a carnation can, i will PM you as i dont know if I am allowed to post the recipe. It has the digestive base, but i suppose you could just change that for a pastry base ( i personally love the pastry base , and i side note don't get the tesco banoffe pie it is fowl, never again)
  • p-pincher
    p-pincher Posts: 727 Forumite
    You can cheat and not make the caramel at all, I buy a jar from tesco made by Merchant Goumet, i think its called dulce de leche and it a georgous thick caramel sauce perfect for bannoffee pies, its about £2-3 pound so not very moneysaving but it takes the hassle out of having to make caramel. I even heard Jamie Oliver recommending it a few years ago.
    March 2014 Grocery challenge £250.00
  • Sharra
    Sharra Posts: 751 Forumite
    I always open pierce the lid of my condensed milk before I boil it, then it def won't explode.
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Hi there

banoffi pie serves 6-8

crumb case
    125g/4oz butter
    250g/8oz digestives - crushed
    melt butter and stir in crumbs...press mixture over the base and sides of an 8" tin and chill until firm

filling
    put:-
    175g/6oz butter
    175g/6oz caster sugar- in a pan over a low heat until butter is melted

stir in :-
    425g/14oz can of condensed milk and bring to the boil,
    lower the heat and simmer for 5 mins, stirring occasionally until the mixture becomes a caramel colour
    pour into case, leave to cool and then chill until set

slice 2 bananas and toss them in 1tbs lemon juice
    -reserve 1/4 bananas for decoration and spread the rest over the filling
    Whip 150ml/1/4pt whipping cream and spread over top
    decorate with the reserved bananas and 25g/1oz grated chocolate
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • madfrenchgirl
    madfrenchgirl Posts: 1,729 Forumite
    Just make a shortcrust pastry base, boil 2 carnation cans of condensed sweetened milk for 5 hours, let them cool down, open them spoon it out, put it onyour base, put bananas sliced lengthways on top of the caramel, whip a pot of double cream with one tbsp of sugar and spread on top. Voila!
    "Don't cry, Don't Raise your Eye
    It's only teenage wasteland"
    The Who - Baba O'Riley
    Who's Next (1971)

RIP Keith Moon
    RIP John Entwistle
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income