HSBC to introduce Rapport Software.

Comments

• TMoose
    TMoose Posts: 267 Forumite
    I'd suggest using a registry cleaner - for example CCleaner, that should be able to pick up anything in the registry the has been left behind and may be causing the slowness...
  • Shambler
    Shambler Posts: 767 Forumite
    HSBC now won't let me log on to my account unless I install the rapport software.

Any way out of this other than installing yet another program on my already bloated pc?
  • ERICS_MUM
    ERICS_MUM Posts: 3,579
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Dave_save wrote: »
    The promoters of Rapport suggest the software compliments your anti virus software, not replaces it. It does seem to add another layer and carry out different functions in that it protects your log in details for sites where you input sensitive info.

It also seems to warn you when you try to enter log in details to sites not registered with it. As far as I know, Norton doesn't do this, so for me its an added bonus and works fine for me.

Exactly so for me too - been using it on my Nat West account for about a year now and not had any probs (touch wood :wall:)
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Shambler wrote: »
    HSBC now won't let me log on to my account unless I install the rapport software.

Any way out of this other than installing yet another program on my already bloated pc?

Not sure why, I can still log in OK, I havn't downloaded Rapport.
  • Olipro
    Olipro Posts: 717 Forumite
    Whether or not Rapport is a good idea depends on your computer.

I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that under a 32-bit version of Windows it uses extensive kernel hooking and patching in order to achieve its objectives, and if you insist on using your computer to access !!!!!!, nonsense videos sent to you by e-mail and other varieties of crap, I suggest you use Trusteer.

Conversely, under 64-bit Windows this is impossible since the kernel will not allow you to touch it and therefore the protection is limited... fortunately, so is the scope of any malware - hence running an x64 edition of Windows makes your computer extremely resilient to rootkits and the like, although recent developments in malware have got around this by writing the MBR (Master Boot Record) of your HDD, this can be blocked easily by simply setting your MBR as read-only in your BIOS (just remember to unset it if you ever reinstall your OS)

If HSBC move to make Rapport mandatory, you could (hopefully) trivially bypass it with Firefox by setting a fake useragent that states you have Linux.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    ERICS_MUM wrote: »
    Exactly so for me too - been using it on my Nat West account for about a year now and not had any probs (touch wood :wall:)

I've not had any problems either (touch wood). Surely banks should be applauded for trying to avoid security problems.
  • Inactive
    pmduk wrote: »
    I've not had any problems either (touch wood). Surely banks should be applauded for trying to avoid security problems.

Well HSBC don't actually try very hard, the initial log in page where the user enters their user ID is not even a secure page...
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Inactive wrote: »
    Well HSBC don't actually try very hard, the initial log in page where the user enters their user ID is not even a secure page...
    Technically that doesn't matter as the logon data is sent by POST to a secure page, so the logon is secure.
  • ChiefGrasscutter
    ChiefGrasscutter Posts: 2,112
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 2 September 2010 at 12:16PM
    Rapport is in effect a keylogger.
    It stores your passwords and then has the ability to tell you at a later stage if you use the same password on another site: by comparing it to the previous stored examples.
    Clearly the storage of the passwords is subject to strong encryption however they must be stored somewhere on the PC and the codewords to decrypt them must be somewhere within the Rapport program as the user does not need to enter their own password at any time.
    This to me is a keylogger and as such is a program to be avoided at all costs.

The chief advantage so far as I can see is that it has the IP numbers of the participating banks server hardwired into it so that it knows you are really accessing the real bank's address rather than a fake lookalike (as the numerical 129.129....etc addresses would be different).

As other have said, and it has been discussed extensively on the savings board in the past, if you/your family/other users of the PC have the habit of visiting dogy sites opening suspect email attachments then it is of benefit.

Personally I don't want it.
    Then again I've seen the state of other's persons PC with multiple start up errors, unpatched OS system, non updated virus checkers .......and they use this to access online banking! One begins to have sympathy with the banks and one can see why they would want this sort of person to have it.
  • Inactive
    glider3560 wrote: »
    Technically that doesn't matter as the logon data is sent by POST to a secure page, so the logon is secure.

I am sure that you are correct, however, it doesn't inspire confidence by the user.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure