PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2010 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• alipops1986
    alipops1986 Posts: 691 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I spent £9.50 this week which i fear has sent me over my £90 budget for march :mad: However, as this is the first time i've done it officially, i'm alright with it.

Please put me down for £90 again for April and i'll do my best to get under it!!
  • Keiss_21
    Keiss_21 Posts: 2,652 Forumite
    Waay over this month, and still 4 more days left of March!!

Will declare on April 1st, but Mrs M please put me down for £400 for April. DS1 will be home all month (well, when he isn't at GF's!), though DS2 will be away for a week at a rugby tournament. I will still have to send him off with enough food to keep his sugar levels sensible though (he's diabetic).

Not sure if we will make it as most of this year has been pretty dismal...reaching target-wise..but I will keep trying!

Hoping to not spend any money this weekend...so far...so good!!!

13 projects in 2013: 7/13
    Cross-stitch Club Member no 13
    Weight loss since 24/06/2012: 30lb
  • charlyze2
    charlyze2 Posts: 101 Forumite
    Hi all.
    im new to this site and really want to start keeping an eye on my spending.

Could i please join this challange. i will have to guesstimate this months budget as i have no idea how much i spend on groceries. I think for 2 adults and 2 kids im going to aim for £250 for April.

Hopefully i can get below that though.

thank you charlie
  • An extra shop last night at Mr M's as we suddenly ran out of tea bags, milk and kitchen roll. I ended up spending £12.47 but came out with three carrier bags which were mostly full of whoopsies. My best buy - a mini roast beef at 35p and diced topside of Beef at 25p :T
    I have one last weekly shop for this month and a total of exactly £35 left in the budget - I should be fine (famous last words!).
    DFW Nerd 941 Proud to be dealing with my debt
    August GC £0/£300

• freakyogre
    freakyogre Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    I've gone over this month, but not sure by how much. I went away with my brother and sister on Thursday and Friday and we ended up paying for each other at various points including shopping, so i'll never figure the amount out! I don't think it was a huge amount, but over is still over.

I am going to go for £70.00 for April please as although I am going to try and use more things in my freezer/cupboards, I am going to need to buy some more things as running low.
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
  • MrsBsBlog
    MrsBsBlog Posts: 64 Forumite
    Have come under budget this month, but will carry on with the
    £400 for April please MrsM as easter hols are coming up and the kids will be eating for england, again!.
    Grocery Challenge 2010 £400 each month
    January £377.67 February £375.18 March £355.43
    April £506.23 May £381.04 June £88.58
  • tiamai_d
    tiamai_d Posts: 11,987 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Can I join please?

My budget for April will be £240 for food only, not including cleaning materials (shouldn't need), baby milk, food or nappies. Family of 4, 2 adults, 2 boys (one underweight so needs high cal, healthy food)

(is that ok?)
  • JayJay14
    JayJay14 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    H everyone,

Declaring now at £107.52 which is way under but having financialy strapped for the last month am well pleased.

DD2 has now moved back in to our house so will have to increase the budget for next month.

MrsM - please put me down for £160 for April

See you all on the new thread
  • Spiggle
    Spiggle Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    :wave: Good afternoon all, hope you're having a good weekend. I've updated my sig to take account of the lovely piece of brisket and veggies that we just bought so we're well under budget at £233.66 :D and hope we don't have to buy anything else before Thursday when my new month begins. We have got a little flexibility though so I won't declare until then.

By the way, what do you do with any 'excess' in the budget that doesn't get spent? It would be interesting to get some ideas from you if you don't mind sharing. :think:

Well, we've had a chat and want to be sensible about next month's budget in view of OH birthday next weekend but we still want to reduce a little. So, please would you put me down for a £260 budget for April MrsMc?

Hopefully with the fantastic support of all on here :A we can make our second month of GC as successful as our first.

Thank you all and good luck with the challenge,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • Moniker
    Moniker Posts: 626 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 27 March 2010 at 6:50PM
    Here is the fish recipe I promised to post yesterday:

Grilled haddock on lemon leek and pea rice

Ingredients: serves 2

15ml (1tbsp) butter
    15ml (1 tbsp) vegetable oil
    2 leeks, trimmed and sliced thinly
    1 lemon, grated zest and juice
    Salt and pepper
    300 gm (10 oz) haddock fillet
    350ml (1/2 pint) vegetable stock
    100gms (4 oz) white rice
    60gms (2 oz) peas
    Parsley to garnish (optional)

Method

Melt the butter and add the oil in a big pot or frying pan. When oil starts to sizzle add the leeks and fry gently for about 3 minutes, until they have softened. Add the rice, lemon zest and half the lemon juice to the leeks and stir thoroughly. Pour over the vegetable stock, place a lid on the pan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and cook gently for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed. Meanwhile arrange the fish fillets on a grill rack skin side down. Sprinkle over the remaining lemon juice and cook under a hot grill for about 6 minutes (depending on the thickness this can take up to 15 mins) – it’s done when the fish is opaque and flakes easily. Stir the peas through the rice and heat for a few minutes (up to 5 mins if using frozen peas). Spoon the rice mixture onto warmed plates and serve immediately with the fillets laid on top.

It is basically a rissotto - but I didn't call it that as my DH doesn't like rissotto - but he enjoyed this. You don't have to use special rissotto rice - I used ordinary long grain rice.

I have used the rest of the leeks to make soup today and I did a batch of rolls which turned out well too. The rolls needed an egg wash to glaze them, and there was quite a lot of egg left so I decide to use this making individual pineapple upside down puds. I used a 2-2-2-mix all-in-one with the egg and a tin of Sainsbury's basics pineapple pieces in juice. I greased 4 little ramekin dishes and shared the pineapple between them and then spooned the sponge mix on top. Two have gone in the freezer and two will be for pudding tomorrow. I let you know how they taste!

Off to cook supper - hm beef burgers and chips and salad. We usually swim on Saturdays evenings but DH is suffering with a really heavy cold and I don't want to go on my own. We are supposed to be doing a sponsored walk tomorrow - so I hope he is ok for that and that it stays dry!

Have a good evening folks.

love Moniker

forgot to say that i think you missed me off the list for March Mrs M. I was down for £270 - will post final total on Wednesday evening - but feeling good about it! Fingers crossed!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure