memory foam matresses

Comments

• MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I just got this in Superking with 4 drawers & its the DOGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.dreams.co.uk/en-gb/ProductDetails/?cid=MEMORYFOAM-DIVAN&pid=371-00016&language=en-GB

Like sleeping on a cloud

Was £1,500, but has a 10 year guarantee
  • Lidl are doing double memory foam mattresses next week for £89.99. Apparently they are brilliant as my friends bought some last year when they had them in. I got a "bed in a bag" from the Bed Shed a few years ago and it cost £217 for the double and was money well spent. My friend reckons that her Lidl one is better than my Bed Shed one. Check out www.lidl.ie

I'm afraid they are NOT memory foam. They are cheap reflex foam mattresses that are only available in the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland.
  • jenny-wren wrote: »
    Maybe someone can answer my question ....

Memory foam mattresses mould themselves to your body shape, right?

Surely then if you sleep on your stomach you risk the mattress moulding itself round your head .... and before you know it you could suffocate in your sleep?!!! :eek:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Judging by the way my OH sleeps I'd better give them a miss!!

Only if you sleep with your nose down on the mattress.
  • MrsE wrote: »
    I just got this in Superking with 4 drawers & its the DOGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.dreams.co.uk/en-gb/ProductDetails/?cid=MEMORYFOAM-DIVAN&pid=371-00016&language=en-GB

Like sleeping on a cloud

It should be for that price :eek: .

As for the guarantee, did you read the conditions? I can't find the terms and conditions for the 10 year guarantee anywhere on their site. :confused:
  • I have degeberative disc disease and also a spinal injury from a car accident.

Two years ago I bought a sprung mattress with a top layer of memory foam - it is BLISS! Whenever I go away I can't wait to get back to my own bed!

One thing to look for - mine has a smooth top surface which is great ....
    But some have fancy quilted stitched effect - or even buttons :eek::eek: that sort of thing really does defeat the object. So look for a smooth undecorated surface for a really comfy sleep.

Can't say I've been overly warm, but I understand that the 100% memory foam mattresses can get overheated.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    I have degeberative disc disease and also a spinal injury from a car accident.

Two years ago I bought a sprung mattress with a top layer of memory foam - it is BLISS! Whenever I go away I can't wait to get back to my own bed!

One thing to look for - mine has a smooth top surface which is great ....
    But some have fancy quilted stitched effect - or even buttons :eek::eek: that sort of thing really does defeat the object. So look for a smooth undecorated surface for a really comfy sleep.

Can't say I've been overly warm, but I understand that the 100% memory foam mattresses can get overheated.

If the mattress is made well then most people don't even notice the hand tufts. These are an essential essential part of the construction of pocket sprung/memory foam mattresses unless it is the encapsulated type. The encapsulated type have much smaller springs that don't really do much, but are more so that the manufacturer can say that it contains pocket springs.
  • MrsE wrote: »

I wouldn't be able to sleep on that - I would be up all night thinking about the money I had wasted. £1500 = 10 x £150 beds and even if they only lasted a year each who would need the 10 year guarantee?
  • MrsE_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    wacko911 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be able to sleep on that - I would be up all night thinking about the money I had wasted. £1500 = 10 x £150 beds and even if they only lasted a year each who would need the 10 year guarantee?

I couldn't sleep on a £150 bed:confused:

You spend a quarter to a third of your life in bed.

It pays to be comfortable.

At £150 per year, its less than £3 per week, I think thats pretty good actually.
  • Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    MrsE wrote: »
    I couldn't sleep on a £150 bed:confused:

You spend a quarter to a third of your life in bed.

It pays to be comfortable.

At £150 per year, its less than £3 per week, I think thats pretty good actually.

You really should read the terms and conditions. Many companies have extended guarantees that are on a sliding scale. For example with a 10 year guarantee that you have had for 9 years, you would actually have to pay 90% of the replacement cost. This is a clever way of keeping you with the same company.

MSE member was caught out by the same thing with Silentnight.
  • MrsE_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Tim_Deegan wrote: »
    You really should read the terms and conditions. Many companies have extended guarantees that are on a sliding scale. For example with a 10 year guarantee that you have had for 9 years, you would actually have to pay 90% of the replacement cost. This is a clever way of keeping you with the same company.

MSE member was caught out by the same thing with Silentnight.

Thanks Tim I will read them.

However I must say I'm VERY happy with our bed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure