The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Best thing to do with £3k

Afternoon all,

I've been squirrelling away and have put £3k in the bank which at the moment is earning next to nothing in an HSBC savings account. I can be without it for a year, and would obviously like to get the best return I can on it. I've checked out the links in the main section of the site, but also came across the Funding Circle, which is like Zopa except that you lend to businesses. Anyone had any experience with it, or have any insight into the wisdom of putting some money into it?

Their site is at fundingcircle.com

Thanks

Comments

• CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    for only 3k just open the best cash ISA you can find... tax free and instant access if you need the money
  • hey just checked out the site and everything seems legit! I have lent with zopa before and made 7% but never heard of this site and am thinking of lending some myself! Its double ud get from an ISA and as long as u spread the loan among many businesses u'll be safe!
  • haven't heard of neither zopa nor fundingcircle before, very interesting. thanks for the links.
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,614
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 5 September 2010 at 8:23PM
    oxford1987 wrote: »
    I've been squirrelling away and have put £3k in the bank which at the moment is earning next to nothing in an HSBC savings account. I can be without it for a year, and would obviously like to get the best return I can on it.

The best 1 year fixed rate bond is [STRIKE]from Aldermore who offer 3.01%[/STRIKE] (see Post 7), while ICICI Bank offer 3%.

If you wanted to stay with HSBC, they offer 2.8% for one year and 3.1% for 18 months.

If you are a tax payer, its also worth looking at ISA accounts, if you don't have one already.

Regards
    Sunil
  • Just signed up and lent some money, with this site the lenders far outweight customers looking for loans, so it would take a while for ur money to be lent and unless u set a low rate which would in fact still earn u more than a bank.

Personally id advise to stick to zopa, much more established.
  • atypical
    atypical Posts: 1,342 Forumite
    gt94sss2 wrote: »
    The best 1 year fixed rate bond is from Aldermore who offer 3.01%, while ICICI Bank offer 3%.

Bank of Baroda offer 3.15% for 1 year:
    https://www.bankofbarodauk.com/bmxacopn/acopn/bobmaxcmpn.aspx
  • I love Zopa but have also made some loans at Funding Circle. Zopa launched in 2005 and have a history to give lenders some confidence. FC, OTOH, is new.

The benefits of FC are that for a limited time, lenders get 2% cashback. There is also a secondary market for loan parts. I have made six loans and sold five of them. But it is new and that brings its own risks.

The benefits of Zopa are the 5+ years of success.

GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure