when do bridal shops hold their sales

Hi all,

My parents have kindly offered to buy my wedding dress, I was wondering when do sales start I really can’t stand the thought of spending a fortune on a dress just to watch it come down in a sale?

I have an appointment on Saturday with my local bridal boutique and I’m going to try on all the styles they have to figure out which suits me best because I was thinking of a Light in the box dress but the reviews are very mixed. I’ve tried on a lovely taffeta fishtail dress but it was £835 which is a lot of money when I’m trying to keep wedding under 7k.

Comments

• hp3
    hp3 Posts: 119 Forumite
    Hi,

I dont think they have sales as such. They do sometimes have end of line or sample dresses that they need to get rid of that they put on a rail. Especially if they have move shops too or got new stock they will sell the old dresses for about £200 or whatever you gan bargin with them. I got two of my bridesmaid dresses on one of the rails they were supposed to be £120 I got them for £30. There are only few shops that do this though so keep your eye on and pop in to as many as you can when out shopping. If you know the style you want this will be easier. That is my plan in the next few months.

Hope that helps.
  • bubbles0169
    bubbles0169 Posts: 6,230
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    if they do id imagine it to be around august time as the bridal fashion year runs from september to september, thats also worth knowing if you see a particular dress you like, get it then as it maybe discontinued after x
    I am not bossy I just have better ideas:p
  • pinkmum2010
    pinkmum2010 Posts: 125 Forumite
    THANK YOU

I really need to have a bit of self control now and not rush out and buy something that costs a ton
  • I bought my dress in a sample sale and that was in July last year.
    Don't worry about typing out my username - Call me COMP
    (Unless you know my real name - in which case, feel free to use that just to confuse people!)
  • Stephb1986_2
    Stephb1986_2 Posts: 6,279 Forumite
    I've seen my dress but it's in the designers range this year and now the shop has a sale on do you think the dress will be in the sale? I don't think it will as it's this years. Should I ring up and ask?

Steph xx
  • hp3
    hp3 Posts: 119 Forumite
    Hi Steph,

I would probably say no to ringing them as they might tell you no it wont be going in so they get full price for it. I have heard so many stories about bridal shops (not very good ones) although there are others that are very fair and bend over backwards for you. When do you get married? If you have a while I would try and wait see if it comes down. If nearer the time it doesnt then go for it if its the one you want.
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,038
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    As others have said, you'll be looking for them selling off last year's designs. I went wedding dress shopping with a friend a few months ago and spotted my own dress from last June on the shop's sale rail. Maggie Sottero discontinued my design and they were selling their sample. That was Jan-Feb time but it could have been on the sale rail since last August-September time as mentioned. Most bridal shops I've been to have had some ex-sample dresses regardless of the time of year. Late summer might be when they have the most choice though.
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,038
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Stephb1986 wrote: »
    I've seen my dress but it's in the designers range this year and now the shop has a sale on do you think the dress will be in the sale? I don't think it will as it's this years. Should I ring up and ask?

Steph xx

I probably would call, but don't say "is it in the sale?" Say you've looked at XYZ dress in another bridal shop and wanted to know what their price was for it.

I did this with my dress even though I wasn't looking for a sale dress. Once I had chosen I phoned other local stockists of my designer and asked for their price for this particular dress, to make sure I was getting the best deal on it.
  • neilcrook
    neilcrook Posts: 282 Forumite
    I bought mine in January sales from Berketex (mixed reviews but Newcastle store very helpful) - i get their emails and it seems they have one pretty much every month. They also have several sale only stores. Apart from this local bridal shops have sale rails. I was also at a wedding fair last month that had a sale floor. Totally depends on what your after, i'm sure i read someone had tried a dress on in BHS and it had a slight mark on it so got it massively reduced. Good Luck :)
    :DStolen the OH's account so it's Jenna - not Neil:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport